Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: What Are You Eating Today?

1. Top | #211
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My dear friend in Oz says she and some others are selling chocky bilbies as a conservation effort. She says that if I'm a good boy she might send me one, so hopefully soon I can boast about eating an upside down chockie bilby.
    If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to a library. - Frank Zappa

2. Top | #212
    Archived
    Total Posts
    leftovers

3. Top | #213
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Eating the last piece of pumpkin cake/cream cheese roll. I haven't had cream cheese in a coon's age. Just as I suspected, it's still good.

It looks like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dwight

4. Top | #214
    Mad Quilter Old Woman in Purple's Avatar
    Yesterday's Thanksgiving dinner consisted of: a Salmon & Asparagus w/ lemon, prepared by Husband; a Shredded-Chicken with Broccoli in Jumbo Pasta dish prepared by Daughter; a Corn Casserole, by me.

Dessert: "Butterfinger Lasagna" prepared by Daughter.

Intentionally made enough for leftovers, so we could enjoy it (and resulting food-comas) for days!

5. Top | #215
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    We've got some leftovers for a couple days even though our holiday dinner was fairly small. But there's two of us and I'm the only one who likes leftovers of any kind and I'm also the only one who remembers that they are there in the fridge to begin with.

But today I'm eating the last bowl from my latest pot of chili. The other leftovers are tempting but I didn't want the chili to go bad so I'm finishing it off now. I'll have turkey leftovers for dinner tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Woman in Purple View Post
    Yesterday's Thanksgiving dinner consisted of: a Salmon & Asparagus w/ lemon, prepared by Husband; a Shredded-Chicken with Broccoli in Jumbo Pasta dish prepared by Daughter; a Corn Casserole, by me.

Intentionally made enough for leftovers, so we could enjoy it (and resulting food-comas) for days!

Lovely!
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

6. Top | #216
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Woman in Purple View Post

Outstanding! I can smell the salmon and asparagus from here!

7. Top | #217
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    How do you know a gorgeous butternut squash when you see one? They're my favorite squash and this time of year the price is right. They also keep a long time. I just cut one in quarters and bake at 350F for 1 hour with some olive oil, brown sugar, and allspice. But what makes one better than the other?
    Well, they're good all year. But a really good one will be bright and vibrant inside, with seeds that look like they could still turn into a plant given the chance. It will likely be more full and sweet in flavor as well. If there's any way to tell ahead of time what kind of squash you've got just by looking from the outside, I don't know it. Provided it's ripe, they all look the same to me until they're opened.
    Apparently you need to knock on it. If it sounds hollow, it’s a good one.

Just like watermelons, the best pumpkins to pick have a deep, hollow sound when you tap them. To test for a good one, hold the pumpkin with one hand, place your ear next to the pumpkin, and knock on its side with the knuckles of your other hand. If you hear an echoing, hollow sound, it's a good one

8. Top | #218
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

We do keep fresh garlic on hand now and use it most of the time, I only reach for the minced when I'm feeling lazy (but we're at the end of our bottle so that might contribute to lack of flavour too). I'll have to see if we have dry basil on hand, that might be worth picking up. We made a fresh basil / garlic sauce a few months ago and it was fantastic.
    Fresh herbs would be great but they always seem to spoil before I've used half the bunch. Spaghetti sauce with fresh basil is fantastic, but basil turns brown if you look at it wrong. I wish I could grow it in my backyard but there's not enough sun. Not even chives work for me. I'm pretty much limited to fresh Italian parsley which keeps for several weeks in a can of water in the back of the fridge, but space is limited. Of course fresh garlic keeps best in a cabinet away from light and heat.
    We can buy semi dried herbs here. All the goodness and flavour of fresh, but the packet lasts 4 weeks.

9. Top | #219
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Junk food. Which I shouldn’t have as we are supposed to be having crackling and roast pork tonight.

10. Top | #220
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    We finished up the left over TG food for lunch. As soon as it's finished we will be enjoying grilled pork tenderloin with a balsamic cherry sauce, corn and steamed fresh zucchini for our dinner. As usual, I will bring a plate to the lonely neighbor, who would practically live off of sweets and Boost if we didn't share our food with her. She pays for her share and she loves my husband's cooking, so it's all good. Plus, sharing food is a human universal, but I digress.