Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Eating Today?

1. Top | #131
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I have been practising my roasts of late and I think I am getting close to the perfect roast.

Last week it was roast pork, and the crackling was spot on!

Today it was roast beef, and it was great, but I overdid the veg.

It’s becoming a Sunday thing here, as then I have meat for Bilby’s sandwiches.

2. Top | #132
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Country style spare ribs w/ barbecue sauce in the oven, cooked low and slow. Coming out of the oven in about a half hour.

We can have them because of the healthy salads I made us for lunch.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

3. Top | #133
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Made some brown rice tabouli today. It's pretty good for flavor with fresh lemon juice and fresh mint and onion. The only thing dried was the parsley. Flavor's good but I prefer the texture of bulgar wheat. It's a good way to use up all the brown rice I stocked up on back in March or April due to uncertainties of the pandemic.
    The Authoritarians

GOP and Trump supporters will not be able to say they didn't know. Vote in numbers too big to manipulate.

4. Top | #134
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I threw together my first pasta sauce over the weekend - Streetwalker's Sauce (Alla Puttanesca). We picked up brined olives and anchovy fillets from a specialty shop, peeled/seeded a few tomatoes, and added capers, garlic, and red pepper flakes. The recipe came from the Sauce book I just bought a few months ago. It was a very good pasta.

Then with my newfound skills I made a similar pasta last night, but with shrimp, zucchini, and portabello mushroom.

5. Top | #135
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Kroger's had chuck roasts on sale, buy one get one free. One is in the freezer for pot roast and the other I cut up for beef stew. It came out yummy.

I don't usually buy beef from Kroger. Most of the time it's not very good. The chuck cuts were quite good quality this time.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

6. Top | #136
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Kroger's had chuck roasts on sale, buy one get one free. One is in the freezer for pot roast and the other I cut up for beef stew. It came out yummy.

I don't usually buy beef from Kroger. Most of the time it's not very good. The chuck cuts were quite good quality this time.
    I've found that chuck roasts and crock pots are a natural marriage. Everything comes out fall-apart tender.

7. Top | #137
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I took Angry Floof's post #96 to heart and have done several dinner entrees with rice and broccoli. I'm lazy when it comes to cooking rice, so I shopped for pre-cooked side dishes of rice, the kind that come in pouches that you find near the Rice-a-Roni. My fave right now is Royal brand cilantro lime basmati rice in an 8.5 ounce pouch. I steam fresh broccoli 'til it's just about fully tender, tip out some of the water in the skillet, then add the rice mixture, stir, and steam some more. The cilantro lime is a bit bland, but a little salt and pepper perk it up, and the cilantro/lime flavors are just strong enough.

8. Top | #138
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Some of you may get a laugh from my frustration.

Home for the first time in ages, decided I need oat bran muffins to use up the eggs that aren't floating - but are considering it.

I know I bought sugar when I moved back in. Can I find it? NO.

Never mind, there is a big jar of glucose. How different can it be? (Remember that question later.)

So I mix the eggs, glucose, oat bran, some cinnamon, some oil, some sultanas, some raising agent and find that my muffin tins are in Leongatha, 40kms away.

I pour the mix into a flat tin and tell myself I intended to make a slice all along.

When it comes out of the oven it is brown. Really brown. Glucose? And not at all sweet.

I make a honey syrup and pour it over, baklava style.

Could be worse.

9. Top | #139
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ciabatta bread open face grilled in butter.
    Deeply browned.
    Sprinkled in sugar.
    Drizzled in Ohio maple syrup.
    Microwaved for 30 seconds.
    And tea.
    Dwight

10. Top | #140
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ordered out - Thai food. Delicious, and enough left over for another meal!