Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Eating Today?

1. Top | #181
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    One of these days I'll try adding some ww flour and see how much it effects the rise. Those little shards of bran are said to cut into the gluten development. I'd love to try making sourdough bread, but don't you need to tend to the starter often to keep it alive? It seems like having to take care of a pet. Although now that I'm retired and can bake 2 or 3 times a week it probably wouldn't be a big deal.
    My starter sits for a week in the fridge and still works fine. It's supposed to be revived the day before but I've never had a problem.

And it is certainly not possible to get the same rise with ww flour. 50% is as far as I go. Makes absolutely the best toast you will ever eat.

2. Top | #182
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Tonight Bilby is having Honey/mustard/soy chicken breast, sliced into 2cm slices, and cooked in the oven.

I am having chilli/lime salmon also baked in the oven.

These are being served with a salad of cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, sundried tomatoes, chargrilled and marinated capsicum, and dill pickle. It is a nice salad.

3. Top | #183
    A big bowl of fish stew to add some zing to a cold, rainy day.

In large sauce pan -
    1/4 cup olive oil
    8 oz. white potatoes, chopped

When potatoes start to brown, add -
    1/4 med. yellow onion, 1/2" chopped
    1 tsp tomato paste
    3 garlic cloves, coarse chopped
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dry thyme
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    2 tsp sweet paprika

Deglaze with 1/4 cup chardonnay. Add -
    ~ 2 cups boiling water
    2 dried bay leaves
    1/2 red and/or yellow bell peppers, coarse chopped
    1/2 cup green cabbage, coarse chopped
    1 tbsp. dried wakame seaweed
    1 tsp Tabasco sauce
    2 tbsp. oil from canned sardines (or clam juice if that's all you have)

Let simmer, half-covered, for ~15 minutes. Add -
    more boiling water as needed
    ~ 1/3 pound firm, white, fish fillet in ~ 1" chunks

Let simmer on med-low ~ 15 minutes. Add -
    1 tsp psyllium husk powder (or other thickener)

4. Top | #184
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    1/2 cup coffee ice cream with 2 ginger snaps crumbled on top.
    Goddammit, I'm going to eat this every day 'til Trump concedes.

5. Top | #185
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I fear you will get bored, eating that every day for the term of his dictatorship.

6. Top | #186
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I wouldn't want to offend any vegans but Thursday night, we had the most delicious, grilled organically raised baby back rips, with awesome baked sweet potatoes and lemon/butter asparagus.

Then last night, my chef grilled me a filet mignon with sweet corn and fresh steamed broccoli for sides.

For lunch, it will be another Amy's frozen vegan dinner to make up for my meat consumption.

Right now, I'm munching on a new variety of apple. Yummy. They are called Kiku, so if you see them in the grocery store, I highly recommend them.

7. Top | #187
    Fall is finally here! We got a really gorgeous butternut squash in our grocery order, so I turned it into a hearty soup and served it up with salad and a baguette. Our wine club had also provided, so we shared a bottle of Chardonnay from Leo Steen Wines over on the other side of the Bay. Not usually my favorite type of wine, but it was actually pretty good.

8. Top | #188
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Fall is finally here! We got a really gorgeous butternut squash in our grocery order, so I turned it into a hearty soup and served it up with salad and a baguette. Our wine club had also provided, so we shared a bottle of Chardonnay from Leo Steen Wines over on the other side of the Bay. Not usually my favorite type of wine, but it was actually pretty good.
    How do you know a gorgeous butternut squash when you see one? They're my favorite squash and this time of year the price is right. They also keep a long time. I just cut one in quarters and bake at 350F for 1 hour with some olive oil, brown sugar, and allspice. But what makes one better than the other?

9. Top | #189
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    How do you know a gorgeous butternut squash when you see one? They're my favorite squash and this time of year the price is right. They also keep a long time. I just cut one in quarters and bake at 350F for 1 hour with some olive oil, brown sugar, and allspice. But what makes one better than the other?
    Well, they're good all year. But a really good one will be bright and vibrant inside, with seeds that look like they could still turn into a plant given the chance. It will likely be more full and sweet in flavor as well. If there's any way to tell ahead of time what kind of squash you've got just by looking from the outside, I don't know it. Provided it's ripe, they all look the same to me until they're opened.

10. Top | #190
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I made a simple Gochujang recipe this morning. It turned out pretty well but I could only find a shoddy Soybean Miso as the base. At some point I might take a stab at doing the Miso from scratch.