Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which gauge wire

1. Top | #11
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Popobawa View Post
    Could you have several extension cords, joined end-to-end. You can get plastic enclosures to cover the joins, so that they can't come apart.

The cable can be assembled and dis-assembled to various lengths in this way.
    No need to pay for those things. just do this:

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

2. Top | #12
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Popobawa View Post
    Could you have several extension cords, joined end-to-end. You can get plastic enclosures to cover the joins, so that they can't come apart.
    Bad idea. Shorter extension cords tend to be lower gauge. For example this cord is 16 gauge and rated for up to 13A, but two of them in series would not be recommended for 13A at all. You would really need to be careful about gauges if you go that route and really can't rely on current ratings.
    Even worse if you want to connect 4 25' cords. Especially since there is some (small) additional resistance at the plugs.

3. Top | #13
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    No need to pay for those things. just do this:
    Yes. Easy and works well.

4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Weight is a trade off. The lighter ones are thremoplastic insulation but are not as flexible. I like the thicker rubber insulated ones. They coil up nice. Unless you're one of those people who coils an extension cord between their thumb and elbow then just stop reading right now. Line loss isn't a concern for 120V. That's 12V vehicle battery stuff. The thicker the gauge the better but 14AWG is fine for 13A. I'd be concerned with it being abrasion resistant for the outdoors and being flexible so it is manageable. Oh and might as well go with something colorful for seeing it in the grass.

https://www.lapptannehill.com/resour...sulation-types

https://www.multicable.com/resources...-designations/

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
    Powerstream is a great source of info. I did my dual battery setup in my truck using their info. Notice they talk about how conservative the UL ratings are for current carrying capacity.

Because then if you go to McMaster-Carr, the trusted source, you'll find for 13A, they list 14AWG cords.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/extension-c...urrent~13amps/

Or if you just want to go to Lowe's, those Ridgid extension cords (orange w/grey stripe) are nice.
    Dwight

5. Top | #15
    Contributor
    Look up a standard twisted multi strand wire table. It should give max amps. If you run max current for a wire it will warm up, so you van over specify.

Standard house wire I believe is 20 amps power breaker. Go to home Depo and somebody will pick the wire for you.

I doubt there are no industrial extension cords that can not handle 20 amps. Home Depo again or an industrial supply company on line.

6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Look up a standard twisted multi strand wire table. It should give max amps. If you run max current for a wire it will warm up, so you van over specify.

Standard house wire I believe is 20 amps power breaker. Go to home Depo and somebody will pick the wire for you.

I doubt there are no industrial extension cords that can not handle 20 amps. Home Depo again or an industrial supply company on line.
    The standard for residential wiring is 12 gauge wire for 20 amp circuits, and 14 gauge for 15 amp circuits. On that basis, given the long length of the extension cord, I would just go with 12 gauge for the cord.

7. Top | #17
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post

The standard for residential wiring is 12 gauge wire for 20 amp circuits, and 14 gauge for 15 amp circuits. On that basis, given the long length of the extension cord, I would just go with 12 gauge for the cord.
    The problem with long lengths is the voltage drop across the wires.

Assuming a 20 amp rms current in phase with the voltage the peak current is around 28 amps. for a 1 volt drop across 200 feet,two wires, the resistance of the wire has to be less than 1 volt/28 amps = .036 ohms. or .036/200 feet = .00018 ohms/foot. Wire tables are in ohms/1000 feet.

8. Top | #18
    Contributor
    You could always get a battery operated tool....

9. Top | #19
    Contributor
    Here you go. 100 foot 20 amp indoor outdoor with ground fault.

https://www.amazon.com/20-amp-extens...extension+cord

10. Top | #20
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Here you go. 100 foot 20 amp indoor outdoor with ground fault.

https://www.amazon.com/20-amp-extens...extension+cord
    Or in the select-a-size version:

https://www.costco.com/outdoor-50-ft...100336733.html

(Note that this link may require logging in.)

2x 50' 12/3, lighted plugs. $50 if you order it, I think it's cheaper in the store.