Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Social Justice out of control

1. Top | #91
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm pretty sure that an apt onto description of a process relation "Master/Slave" is outside one's need for the social comfort of Euphemizing it to "Master/Servant".

2. Top | #92
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    I'm pretty sure that an apt onto description of a process relation "Master/Slave" is outside one's need for the social comfort of Euphemizing it to "Master/Servant".
    Yeah, it's newspeak. I also doubt that anybody is truly offended. Why would they, unless they're completely derranged.

3. Top | #93
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Yeah, it's newspeak. I also doubt that anybody is truly offended. Why would they, unless they're completely derranged.
    There's an entire generation of people being indoctrinated into this derangement. Believe me, it's real.

4. Top | #94
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    There's an entire generation of people being indoctrinated into this derangement. Believe me, it's real.
    Which is why I think it's important not to give in. To stick to the master/slave nomenclature, just to stop this before it spreads further. It's already silly. it's going to get sillier.

5. Top | #95
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Which is why I think it's important not to give in. To stick to the master/slave nomenclature, just to stop this before it spreads further. It's already silly. it's going to get sillier.
    Ottoman Empire customs officials once blocked an import shipment of electric generators because the manifest contained the phrase "revolutions per minute". History repeats itself, Engels tells us, once as grand tragedy and the second time as rotten farce.

6. Top | #96
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    "Slave" is in the context of "master/slave networking" and similar. When I learned of that usage, I found it rather odd, because "slave" is usually considered a demeaning sort of status."Master/servant" would be nicer, since being a servant is a much less demeaning status. There has to be some simple way of stating a command hierarchy here.

As to "blacklist" vs "whitelist", "blocklist" and "allowlist" seems more neutral. "Enemylist" and "friendlist" is another possibility. I've seen "watchlist" in a different context.

As to black and dark being bad and white and light being good, I think that that is a result of what is easier to see -- one can't see very much without a lot of light in one's surrounded. One can't see very much in a dark environment.
    The point is clarity. How isn't Master/servant as demeaning? I'd argue that slave is more appropriate since a slave drive has to obey the master drive or it won't work. A servant always has the option to fuck off at any moment. A slave drive is in no way an indipendent unit. Which is what we're trying to communicate. I think it's a great metaphor. Very clear.
    And "gaschamber" is an apt metaphor for /dev/null: nothing that goes there ever comes back.

Yet somehow I don't see us picking that up as official terminology: most people with a brain understand that doing so would trivialize the holocaust.

But some people, otherwise appearing to be equipped with a brain, fail to understand that using "slave/master" can be in a fully parallel fashion seen as trivializing slavery.

That's actually quite deranged, to borrow your word.

7. Top | #97
    Industrial Grade Linguist Copernicus's Avatar
    It is foolish to argue over the "master/slave" usage, because it exists in technical jargon that is used internationally. It is in countless contracts, specifications, instructions, warranties, and other legal documentation. Most people could care less about this issue, and it would take a lot of people caring for linguistic usage to start to change.

8. Top | #98
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
    It is foolish to argue over the "master/slave" usage, because it exists in technical jargon that is used internationally. It is in countless contracts, specifications, instructions, warranties, and other legal documentation. Most people could care less about this issue, and it would take a lot of people caring for linguistic usage to start to change.
    Some people do care, and calling them deranged just because you gont is , well, ironically, rather deranged.

9. Top | #99
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Some people do care, and calling them deranged just because you gont is , well, ironically, rather deranged.
    Where did he call them deranged? Copernicus said that most, not all people don't care about this. I think he's right. He was just explaining how difficult it would be to change some of the terms that offend a small percentage of people.

It would be really helpful if people would communicate more effectively and actually listen to each other. Imo, it would be better to use our energy to try and change how people treat each other, and work to change the systemic racism in our system, instead of spending so much time worrying about words that aren't even being used to describe humans.

As individuals, we can avoid using certain terms and words to describe groups of people. We can all do that, but if slave/master are used to describe something that has no relationship to humans, it does seem a bit extreme, even to me, a person who always tries not to use offensive terms when it comes to actual humans. But, to use an old cliche' "actions speak louder than words".

10. Top | #100
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post
    Where did he call them deranged? Copernicus said that most, not all people don't care about this. I think he's right. He was just explaining how difficult it would be to change some of the terms that offend a small percentage of people.

It would be really helpful if people would communicate more effectively and actually listen to each other. Imo, it would be better to use our energy to try and change how people treat each other, and work to change the systemic racism in our system, instead of spending so much time worrying about words that aren't even being used to describe humans.

As individuals, we can avoid using certain terms and words to describe groups of people. We can all do that, but if slave/master are used to describe something that has no relationship to humans, it does seem a bit extreme, even to me, a person who always tries not to use offensive terms when it comes to actual humans. But, to use an old cliche' "actions speak louder than words".
    How cold and cruel you are using such an expression. I am offended... there are invalids who are incapable of actions and you are saying they don't matter as much as those are.

Just a little satirical example of those who embrace victimhood and wokeness. No words are safe from them.