Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A God without compelling evidence?

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

A God without compelling evidence?

From the Godfellas episode of Futurama:

"...Bender, being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you. And if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch like a safecracker or a pickpocket... When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

The last sentence is also repeated when the end credits start...

God in the "Bruce Almighty" movie was a bit like that.

I believe I'm probably in a simulation and that there is an intelligent force. Though the supernatural is possible in Sims games,

"...I think all evidence of God (and the supernatural/paranormal) can also explained by coincidence, delusion, or hallucinations..."

So atheists might say that the sightings of Jesus after his death were hallucinations... perhaps people saw a truly risen Jesus but my point is that the hallucination theory is plausible, at least to many atheists.

For me, my evidence for the existence of an intelligent force can be explained away by coincidence (long story).

Here is a web page that compares all-or-nothing fundamentalism to all-or-nothing atheism to liberal theism - then adds the Bible to my theory.

https://www.lifesplayer.com/bible.php

By all-or-nothing there is an assumption that the Bible apparently infallible.... then if there are things that don't seem to be true like a global Flood the traditional Christian God is false

e.g.
    https://answersingenesis.org/why-does-creation-matter/

"Ultimately, the controversy about the age of the earth is a controversy about the authority of Scripture. If millions of years really happened, then the Bible is false and cannot speak with authority on any issue, even the Gospel."

Sometimes young earth creationists jump straight to atheism due to that all-or-nothing thinking.

The same was true for me, and here is a comic about another case:
    https://www.oldearth.org/tract/tract.htm

So my evidence for God has been based on personal experience - though some Christians think God was involved...

Note if we are in a simulation reality doesn't necessarily have to be consistent.... and things written about God in the Bible aren't necessarily true - those arguments for the existence or non-existence of God don't necessarily have assumptions that are accurate...

Are people familiar with my kind of slippery logic?

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The word 'God' is hardly more comprehensible than a Rorschach blot, each believer constructing their own mental image of what they believe 'God' to be.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If it's proof of evolution ya want, just do a chart on Mr. God's attributes. They've evolved and mutated in real time.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    The word 'God' is hardly more comprehensible than a Rorschach blot,
    You say God is my parents fighting while drunk?
    Huh.

Well, that explains Genesis.

5. Top | #5
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    So my evidence for God has been based on personal experience...
    What other evidence exists for anything? Your experience is your god. A person who doesn't comprehend that will always think that unreal things are real.

6. Top | #6
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I find this an interesting new argument. "God does not leave evidence of his works therefore the lack of evidence proves god exists and is active in our world."

Damn imaginative word play.

7. Top | #7
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    I find this an interesting new argument. "God does not leave evidence of his works therefore the lack of evidence proves god exists and is active in our world."

That brings up the larger question of how a theistic person differentiates between what is real and what is imaginary. Maybe the truth is simply that the external environment ultimately makes that decision long term.

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There must be some OCD born-agains who go through tortures of doubt about their God transmissions actually coming from (Dana Carvey voice): SATANNNNN!

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post

Thoughts involving logical(?) arguments:

1. If the Christian fundamentalist God is real then the Bible should be 100% infallible.

2. Bible passages talk about supernatural events like miracles and demon possession.

3. There doesn't seem to be any proof that the supernatural exists.

4. If those supernatural events didn't happen then the Bible isn't infallible.

5. Therefore the Christian fundamentalist God doesn't exist.
    1. Perhaps an intelligent force doesn't want to make his existence too obvious.

2. So any messages from God can't be miraculous
    and can be explained by skeptics as being coincidence, hallucination, or delusion.

3. There doesn't seem to be any proof that the supernatural exists.

4. That is compatible with the proposed intelligent force - especially if a simulation is involved.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    There must be some OCD born-agains who go through tortures of doubt about their God transmissions actually coming from (Dana Carvey voice): SATANNNNN!
    2 Corinthians 11:14
    "And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light."

So if an angel appeared to a Christian it is possible that it could be Satan to try and deceive them....

1 John 4
    "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God"

Humans are able to lie about that... though apparently demons can't.... but maybe Satan can pretend he acknowledges Jesus....

The possibility that any communication from a intelligent force could be malicious or deceptive (or a mindless random accident) has caused me to not trust my supernatural hunches too strongly.
    Last edited by excreationist; 07-21-2020 at 04:28 AM.