Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breads

1. Top | #11
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no-one-particular View Post
    What are your thoughts on bread machines?
    I've never used one or even investigated the possibility so I'm clueless about these devices.

2. Top | #12
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Most breads aren't hard, there are a few tricks to use though. Having made a lot of bread by hand, I do use the kitchenaid to knead now. This allows washing bowls and whatnot during kneeding. I like to add the sugar source and yeast together and let it foam to confirm it is alive! Whole grain breads need a lot more water than recipes say. Microwave two cups of water in a microwave. Place dough in microwave with water to rise. Put four cup hot water pyrex in oven for the rise in pans.

Croissants aren't too time consuming until you start the final prep (1/2 hour per 6 croissant usually) and proof (3 hours). Using a marble roller helps a lot, though I am still working on perfecting making croissants. I have found putting egg wash on the croissant after proofing deflates them.

Buying them is certainly easier, but if made for a special occasion, warm from the oven can't be beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by no-one-particular View Post
    What are your thoughts on bread machines?
    I've never used one or even investigated the possibility so I'm clueless about these devices.
    Yeah, bread machine? I have no idea where to even start knowing anything about them.

3. Top | #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Yeah, bread machine? I have no idea where to even start knowing anything about them.
    I tried one when I first started looking into bread baking a few years ago. I only baked one loaf but it was obvious I'd never get a good crispy dark crust without using an oven. But some people really like them. Check the Amazon reviews.

4. Top | #14
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Honey mustard bread. This smelled very dijon mustard as a dough but the flavor is a lot more subtle.

This dough was uber-soft after the first rise, but held up fine on the second one. Was a little nervous taking it out of the oven for its second rise and deflating while heating the over, but again, it held. This bread it great!

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Bread machines are quite good at making pizza dough. I might try making french bread sometime soon. I have been getting that at Walmart, and their French bread has the shelf life of a mayfly. I want to try making french bread in small loaves and freezing a few. Pull it out of the freezer, let it rise, and bake it. Maybe try a few sugar free doughnuts.
    Cheerful Charlie

6. Top | #16
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't usually eat white bread but this stuff from a local bakery is fantastic.

Famous statewide. Like the bread my grandmother made when I was a kid.

Airy in the middle, crusty on the outside. Makes great toast.

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

7. Top | #17
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This thread makes me hungry, don't know why.

We used our sourdough bread to make French toast the other day and it came out fantastic.

This morning was bread making time again. Used two tablespoons of wine in addition to two tablespoons kalamata olive brine in each loaf just for giggles to see what happens.

8. Top | #18
    I've been using King Arthur all-purpose flour for a few years now. It is known for having a consistent and relatively high level of protein needed for maximum gluten development that produces better rise and an airy crumb. What's called "bread flour" is higher (up to around 15%) but costs a lot more. A work-around is to add vital wheat gluten that's extracted from flour. I bought a small bag made by Bob's Red Mill. Various sources on the internet suggest adding no more than 2% by weight. For a pound of bread that comes out to 1 tablespoon which is about 16 cents worth. I get good results. It should allow me to add more liquid which also contributes to improved rise while it's in the oven (what's referred to as "oven spring"). I was using 13 oz. water plus 1/2 oz. olive oil to 16 oz. AP flour (+ 1 tsp each of sugar, salt, and yeast). My most recent loaf is with 12 oz. water plus 1.5 oz. olive oil to 16 oz. AP flour and 1/3 oz. VWG. Even though they have almost equal hydration levels the one with the VWG and added olive oil set up firmer and held it's shape better during proofing. Also the crust came out much thicker and more caramelized than before. "The best yet." Next I'll see how much more water I can add before it becomes unmanageable.

9. Top | #19
    I have added you suggestion to my wiki. Thank you.
    There is no such thing as moral or immoral behavior. Only civilized and uncivilized behavior. Civilized laws are laws that do not give any one person or any one group of people any special rights above what all others have. The more a society treats everyone as equals the more civilized it is.