Thread: Read any good books lately?

1. Top | #1

Read any good books lately?

Anyone read any good history books recently? I'm about to read one on the sinking of the Andrea Doria, and have a biography of Jennie Jerome Chuchill waiting in the wings.

Rob

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Last one I read was "Conquerors: How Portugal Forged the First Global Empire" by Roger Crowley.

https://www.amazon.com/Conquerors-Po.../dp/0812994000

Currently reading "X, Y & Z: The Real Story of How Enigma Was Broken" by Dermot Turing.

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Story-Ho...s=books&sr=1-1

Both are excellent.

3. Top | #3
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've been in a bit of a pause for history with library closures, but one I own that I'd been going through recently is Crawford Young's The African Colonial State in Comparative Perspective. I think it'd be considered comparative politics rather than history, but I consider Young's books historical as well as political.

Young was a brilliant scholar, likely the world-leading academic on African politics until he died earlier this year. One of the few authors of non-fiction whose output I own the majority of. His writing and research is impeccable.

4. Top | #4
    Two excellent biographies, for U.S. History:

John Brown, Abolitionist: The Man Who Killed Slavery, Sparked the Civil War, and Seeded Civil Rights by David S. Reynolds. Learn about this very influential man, but also get a look at the ante-bellum U.S. It surprised me how many in both North and South compared their America to the England at time of its Civil War. Northerners were Puritans, and John Brown was often compared to Oliver Cromwell. Southerners were Cavaliers. John Brown was a tremendous person, comparable to Joan of Arc, or even (according to W.R. Emerson and others) Jesus Christ. Without John Brown's inspiring martyrdom, the North would have eventually acquiesced to the Confederate Secession.

Citizen Hearst: A Biography of William Randolph Hearst, by W.A. Swanberg. This is a fun read about another influential American, with many insights into the America of his era. The movie Citizen Kane was not an exaggeration — just the opposite! The true stories of Hearst are almost unbelievable.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History by Larson
    Had I Known: Collected Essays by Ehrenreich
    The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Moore

6. Top | #6
    I also read Radium Girls and was shocked, appalled, and educated at the same time. I recently read a biography ogf Brown, but I dunno if that's the one.

haven't gotten to the biography of Jennie Churchill yet, but the book on the Andrea Doria was educational. Am now reading a biography of Howard Hughes.

Rob

7. Top | #7
    Stagg vs. Yost: The birth of cutthroat football. A fascinating look at the early, truly vicious days of college football, when things were more violent, more corrupt amd far more open about it than they were even a generation later.

Rob

8. Top | #8
    The Light that Failed: A Reckoning by Ivan Krastev and Stephen Holmes is worth reading. It's interesting take on success of populists in Poland and Hungary and quite good info on Putin policy.
    God, or rather the fiction of God, is the consecration and the intellectual and moral source of all slavery on earth, and the freedom of mankind will never be complete until the disastrous and insidious fiction of a heavenly master is annihilated.

Mikhail Bakunin.