Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jokes about prison rape on men? Not a fan.

1. Top | #1
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

Jokes about prison rape on men? Not a fan.

Some folks opine that bad people will get what’s coming to them by ending up in prison, victimized by rape. It’s usually delivered as a laugh line.

But I’d like to suggest it’s harmful and wrong to make a laugh out of extra-judicial violence, particularly in the case of the traumatizing and degrading violence of rape.

My personal philosophy is that retribution never helps. It only legitimizes the idea that violence and degradation is okay when you feel “justified.” All criminals feel “justified.” All bullies feel “justified” all of those school shooters and all of those rapists feel “justified.”

I think it is a bad turn for society to give them any indication in any way that all you have to feel is “justified” and you can rape, assault, brutalize, murder.

2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Looks like someone is woke about rape.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Well then, call me woke about rape because I agree with Rhea.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In case my screed elsewhere on this site inspired the OP, I feel the opposite of the OP. Humor is about absurdity. It doesn't have boundaries. An audience member can have boundaries. We all do.
    Jim Norton does an extended routine on the Jerry Sandusky scandal on one of his cd's. I find it hilarious. In no way can a discerning adult consider it advocacy. It's about absurdity, in this case an absurdity of horrors. If that stuff offends you, avoid it.

5. Top | #5
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Some folks opine that bad people will get what’s coming to them by ending up in prison, victimized by rape. It’s usually delivered as a laugh line.

But I’d like to suggest it’s harmful and wrong to make a laugh out of extra-judicial violence, particularly in the case of the traumatizing and degrading violence of rape.

My personal philosophy is that retribution never helps. It only legitimizes the idea that violence and degradation is okay when you feel “justified.” All criminals feel “justified.” All bullies feel “justified” all of those school shooters and all of those rapists feel “justified.”

I think it is a bad turn for society to give them any indication in any way that all you have to feel is “justified” and you can rape, assault, brutalize, murder.
    I think there's a difference between laughing at someone for bringing consequences on themselves and feeling those consequences are strictly 'justified'. I laugh at Wells Fargo and Target for being burned down, but I don't think it is "justified". I think 'justification' reads much like a repackaging of 'excuse'. It implies, to me, that the person who offers the justification would feel entitled to repeat their actions, without further consideration, if they arrive in the same context, as opposed to having to consider in the future how and why the outcome was still bad and how and why to avoid having to do whatever it was ever again.

To that end, I think the solution to the trolley problem is in fact how to avoid getting into that falling problem in the first place. Justification only goes so far as doing things you have a right to do already.

Given that context, I do think it is amusing when someone who fucks over society gets, well, fucked. But it is not justified and we still have a responsibility to prevent such violations from happening. Two bad out outcomes don't make a good outcome, even if the result is no further bad outcomes.

You are absolutely right: everyone is the hero of their own story and people will jump through all kinds of hoops to prove it to themselves. We absolutely need to set aside our desire for revenge. But I can't not feel "good" when I see a child rapist (or killer cop) get their anus prolapsed. I don't get to decide how I feel after all.

6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Well then, call me woke about rape because I agree with Rhea.
    It is a slippery slope. First rape, then shanking, then murder. If we can’t take light in the terrible things that happen to people in prison, don’t the terrorists win?

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post

I suspect the urge for revenge is not rational but rather emotional. Killing is terrible revenge because there is no more suffering.

The issue really comes down to the utter vacuum that revenge offers. Showing people that revenge does not help anyone is great but for people with no personal experience with exacting revenge, it all goes out the window when the pain of the offense feels personal. Yes, it is clearly wrong and obviously so. That thougbt doesn't intrude on the emotions until the individual has a bit of experience getting revenge. And for those that try to convince themselves that it was a right decision, practice can make them into monsters.

I speak here with a great deal of personal experience in this subject so I didn't just pull that out of my butt. I was a butcher for ten years in my youth. Most knockers (knocks the animals in the head) become vicious and cruel after a while.

8. Top | #8
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    In case my screed elsewhere on this site inspired the OP, I feel the opposite of the OP. Humor is about absurdity. It doesn't have boundaries. An audience member can have boundaries. We all do.
    Jim Norton does an extended routine on the Jerry Sandusky scandal on one of his cd's. I find it hilarious. In no way can a discerning adult consider it advocacy. It's about absurdity, in this case an absurdity of horrors. If that stuff offends you, avoid it.

It did cause me to post, but it was not just you - it’s used often and this was just the impetus to have a conversation about it.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member braces_for_impact's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I can't fathom the pain, both physical and mental of being raped, whether you're a man or a woman. Either is uniquely awful. In the past I've made the odd joke, but I've reassessed that behavior and decided that I don't want to do that anymore. But then, too, I'm finding in my old age (wink) that I'm not as tolerant of violence as I used to be.

I actually had an unpopular opinion last week on reddit. The topic was a neighbor that caught a registered sex offender again talking to his underage girls. He had the offender on the ground, and kept slapping and punching him, threatening him, his life, and so on, admonishing him never to talk to his girls again. As a father, I get this. I really do. I understand the fear and the anger, but in my mind that didn't excuse the behavior of the dad to the offender. I know it's acceptable to look the other way when pedophiles are hurt, and I can somewhat understand the appeal. I also notice that wishing harm on pedophiles is a common type of virtue signalling in our society. There are better ways to handle it in my opinion.
    I take all knowledge to be my province.
    -Sir Francis Bacon

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    yeah, with broadcasting from before for the most part you had to search out more edgy material, now you can get crazy unwanted stuff on all the feeds of social media you are on when you are not in the mood for edgy stuff.

But Jim Norton for all his other faults is not a misanthropist at all. He is pretty compassionate for a comedian.