Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 404

Thread: Jokes about prison rape on men? Not a fan.

  1. Top | #21
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    5,375
    Rep Power
    29
    I can't say I've heard many comedians tell "prison rape jokes". But the joke is either funny or not depending on one's sense of humor. And that's the way most comedians approach their material, will the audience laugh and be entertained.

  2. Top | #22
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    5,921
    Archived
    2,911
    Total Posts
    8,832
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Angra Mainyu View Post
    It is a pejorative description of a significant portion of human morality, and since you do that deliberately, it is unethical on your part to do that.
    That is a very big leap to make. I do not accept the unnecessary axiom that being pejorative of a common flaw in the system is unethical. Selfishness and tribalism are built into "human morality", too, and those are similarly bad.
    It is also epistemically irrational on your part to fail to realize that this is part of human morality.
    Morality is not ethics. Ethics are not morality. 0/2
    Humans who are being epistemically rational will realize just retribution is, well, just.
    begging the question.


    And no, of course, it is not the case that rational humans should learn to overcome or redirect something that is part of morality. Nor will they, regardless of the power of the Woke.
    begging the question, equivocating "what we feel for irrational reasons is right" with "what we can understand, using reason and rational investigation, is in fact the best course of action".
    The 'oughts' do not come from the commands of God. They are part of our mental architechture - which, as it happened, evolved.
    appeal to nature

    And I was not trying to get from an is to ought - though I can do that too: it is immoral for you to condemn just retribution
    begging the question that revenge is ever "justified", a concept I have roundly rejected

    , so you ought not to do it. Rather, I was saying that just retribution is an evolved part of the human moral faculty - and a very significant one at that.
    As I have pointed out repeatedly, that it is part of a shitty moral machinery makes no difference. We overlay learned and educated patterns to correct our moral (emotional pseudo-ethic) machinery toward rationally discovered ethical models all the time. You just seem to wish to be LAZY and UNCIVILIZED.
    You can make it go away if you manage massive genetic engineering and replace humans with something else. You can suppress it if you manage to make some AGI-dictator. But short of that, you are not in luck.
    or, you know, teach people philosophical ethics, and design laws that conform to the superior ethical model.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn
    You need a goal to get there, and then select the path from (situation) to (goal) that has the best outcome.
    The just punishment of the guilty is the best outcome, all other things equal (though not always they are, so sometimes it's a lesser evil to let them get away with evil).
    you are just assetring the premise here again, as part of your argument...




    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn
    There are better models now, more time, more security. The only question is, do you think you can be more reasonable and rational than cave men. I joined these boards when it was still "freethought and rationalism discussion boards". "Letting my revenge boner steer me into revenge" is not a rational process, it is an emotional one.
    Instead of "revenge boner", you should perhaps call it your 'retributive justice moral faculty'. And no, attempting to destroy one of your moral faculties is a bad idea. It's not rational. Or morally acceptable.
    Again begging the question. Are you going to actually provide reasonable arguments? No?

    The first thing to do to get to the truth is to doubt. To doubt the correctness of something that evolved just-so in the Paleolithic age is right up at the top.

  3. Top | #23
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    11,821
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    15,476
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    I have targeted nukes at my own planet. And joked about it. If it were up to me, i would want to prevent nuclear war. But i still joked about it.

    I worked a suicide hotline. I did this exactly because i wanted to stop suicides. But among the hotline workers, we joked about some of the calls.

    The missile tech who volunteered on an ambulance had anecdotes that made MTs throw up. Not me, but i was working the hotline at the time. We used to just clear out the break room, swapping stories. But finding humor in a subject is a separate subject from the reality.

    Given the opportunity, or authority, or sufficient tasers, i would stop any rape, even in prison, even if the victim was a rapist, a child molester, or one of the Trumps.

    However, the idea of someone like Bannon, or Stone, or Trump being in prison, and facing the threat of rape amuses me. Not because of any thoughts of justice, karma, or retribution.
    I like the idea of some evil bastard facing the fact that he's fallen so low, that no matter his money, his clout, his political savvy, or his friends, he's now a goldfish in a shark tank. And he done it to his own greedy self.

    And that's funny.
    Yeah, I just can’t get to any place close to rape as being funny. Or just or acceptable. Rape should not be part of any criminal sentence.

  4. Top | #24
    Elder Contributor Keith&Co.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Far Western Mass
    Posts
    20,534
    Archived
    24,500
    Total Posts
    45,034
    Rep Power
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Yeah, I just can’t get to any place close to rape as being funny. Or just or acceptable.
    it's a defense. The fact thsst it's unacceptable is what drives the humor. In skilled hands.
    Rape should not be part of any criminal sentence.
    I agree. Which is why i reject it as 'karma.'

    If someone or some thing has determined that rape, for example, is a bad thing, i wouod expect it/them to try to reduce the event. Not to carefully orchestrate lives to meter out a requisite amount of retributive rape.
    It just seems weird to believe 'rape bad, therefore more rape' is a meaningful plan.

  5. Top | #25
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    31,338
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    73,811
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    I have targeted nukes at my own planet. And joked about it. If it were up to me, i would want to prevent nuclear war. But i still joked about it.

    I worked a suicide hotline. I did this exactly because i wanted to stop suicides. But among the hotline workers, we joked about some of the calls.

    The missile tech who volunteered on an ambulance had anecdotes that made MTs throw up. Not me, but i was working the hotline at the time. We used to just clear out the break room, swapping stories. But finding humor in a subject is a separate subject from the reality.

    Given the opportunity, or authority, or sufficient tasers, i would stop any rape, even in prison, even if the victim was a rapist, a child molester, or one of the Trumps.

    However, the idea of someone like Bannon, or Stone, or Trump being in prison, and facing the threat of rape amuses me. Not because of any thoughts of justice, karma, or retribution.
    I like the idea of some evil bastard facing the fact that he's fallen so low, that no matter his money, his clout, his political savvy, or his friends, he's now a goldfish in a shark tank. And he done it to his own greedy self.

    And that's funny.
    Yeah, I just can’t get to any place close to rape as being funny. Or just or acceptable. Rape should not be part of any criminal sentence.
    What if it is an ape? Apologies for that awful capture. Best I could find.


  6. Top | #26
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    19,059
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    61,002
    Rep Power
    87
    I find the notion that retributive justice is "genetically engineered" to ridiculous.

  7. Top | #27
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    GTA Ontario
    Posts
    1,069
    Archived
    2,167
    Total Posts
    3,236
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    That is a very big leap to make. I do not accept the unnecessary axiom that being pejorative of a common flaw in the system is unethical. Selfishness and tribalism are built into "human morality", too, and those are similarly bad.

    Morality is not ethics. Ethics are not morality. 0/2
    Humans who are being epistemically rational will realize just retribution is, well, just.
    begging the question.


    And no, of course, it is not the case that rational humans should learn to overcome or redirect something that is part of morality. Nor will they, regardless of the power of the Woke.
    begging the question, equivocating "what we feel for irrational reasons is right" with "what we can understand, using reason and rational investigation, is in fact the best course of action".
    The 'oughts' do not come from the commands of God. They are part of our mental architechture - which, as it happened, evolved.
    appeal to nature

    And I was not trying to get from an is to ought - though I can do that too: it is immoral for you to condemn just retribution
    begging the question that revenge is ever "justified", a concept I have roundly rejected

    , so you ought not to do it. Rather, I was saying that just retribution is an evolved part of the human moral faculty - and a very significant one at that.
    As I have pointed out repeatedly, that it is part of a shitty moral machinery makes no difference. We overlay learned and educated patterns to correct our moral (emotional pseudo-ethic) machinery toward rationally discovered ethical models all the time. You just seem to wish to be LAZY and UNCIVILIZED.
    You can make it go away if you manage massive genetic engineering and replace humans with something else. You can suppress it if you manage to make some AGI-dictator. But short of that, you are not in luck.
    or, you know, teach people philosophical ethics, and design laws that conform to the superior ethical model.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn
    You need a goal to get there, and then select the path from (situation) to (goal) that has the best outcome.
    The just punishment of the guilty is the best outcome, all other things equal (though not always they are, so sometimes it's a lesser evil to let them get away with evil).
    you are just assetring the premise here again, as part of your argument...




    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn
    There are better models now, more time, more security. The only question is, do you think you can be more reasonable and rational than cave men. I joined these boards when it was still "freethought and rationalism discussion boards". "Letting my revenge boner steer me into revenge" is not a rational process, it is an emotional one.
    Instead of "revenge boner", you should perhaps call it your 'retributive justice moral faculty'. And no, attempting to destroy one of your moral faculties is a bad idea. It's not rational. Or morally acceptable.
    Again begging the question. Are you going to actually provide reasonable arguments? No?

    The first thing to do to get to the truth is to doubt. To doubt the correctness of something that evolved just-so in the Paleolithic age is right up at the top.
    okay: 1. Do you believe that serious crimes should be punished? M. A. does, and conflates punishment with revenge. You seem to accept that conflation. Do you? I don't think they're quite the same thing.
    2. Certain types of offenders are routinely in danger of being beaten by other inmates, and not necessarily raped, because of the nature of the offense.
    3. What do you have against boners? "Revenge craving" or "revenge jones" or "revenge addiction" would make more sense, since you seem to be trying to make a point about revenge that covers more than rape as revenge.
    Last edited by jab; 08-21-2020 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo

  8. Top | #28
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    GTA Ontario
    Posts
    1,069
    Archived
    2,167
    Total Posts
    3,236
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Yeah, I just can’t get to any place close to rape as being funny. Or just or acceptable.
    it's a defense. The fact thsst it's unacceptable is what drives the humor. In skilled hands.
    Rape should not be part of any criminal sentence.
    I agree. Which is why i reject it as 'karma.'

    If someone or some thing has determined that rape, for example, is a bad thing, i wouod expect it/them to try to reduce the event. Not to carefully orchestrate lives to meter out a requisite amount of retributive rape.
    It just seems weird to believe 'rape bad, therefore more rape' is a meaningful plan.
    By the same logic: locking someone up against their will and forcibly detaining them there is bad, so therefore prison is always bad.
    The question is, what is justifiable social response to a crime, and of course to specific crimes.
    I would not consider armed robbery sufficient to make the possibility of prison rape at all funny--the way ironic karma is often funny. On the other hand, madam Maxwell. . . ?
    How's about Paul Bernardo?
    I wouldn't shed I tear, I wouldn't bother to laugh, but I would smile.

  9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    11,821
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    15,476
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Some folks opine that bad people will get what’s coming to them by ending up in prison, victimized by rape. It’s usually delivered as a laugh line.

    But I’d like to suggest it’s harmful and wrong to make a laugh out of extra-judicial violence, particularly in the case of the traumatizing and degrading violence of rape.

    My personal philosophy is that retribution never helps. It only legitimizes the idea that violence and degradation is okay when you feel “justified.” All criminals feel “justified.” All bullies feel “justified” all of those school shooters and all of those rapists feel “justified.”

    I think it is a bad turn for society to give them any indication in any way that all you have to feel is “justified” and you can rape, assault, brutalize, murder.
    Or that there is any justification for rape, assault, or murder.

  10. Top | #30
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    5,921
    Archived
    2,911
    Total Posts
    8,832
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by jab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    That is a very big leap to make. I do not accept the unnecessary axiom that being pejorative of a common flaw in the system is unethical. Selfishness and tribalism are built into "human morality", too, and those are similarly bad.

    Morality is not ethics. Ethics are not morality. 0/2
    begging the question.


    begging the question, equivocating "what we feel for irrational reasons is right" with "what we can understand, using reason and rational investigation, is in fact the best course of action".
    The 'oughts' do not come from the commands of God. They are part of our mental architechture - which, as it happened, evolved.
    appeal to nature

    And I was not trying to get from an is to ought - though I can do that too: it is immoral for you to condemn just retribution
    begging the question that revenge is ever "justified", a concept I have roundly rejected

    , so you ought not to do it. Rather, I was saying that just retribution is an evolved part of the human moral faculty - and a very significant one at that.
    As I have pointed out repeatedly, that it is part of a shitty moral machinery makes no difference. We overlay learned and educated patterns to correct our moral (emotional pseudo-ethic) machinery toward rationally discovered ethical models all the time. You just seem to wish to be LAZY and UNCIVILIZED.
    You can make it go away if you manage massive genetic engineering and replace humans with something else. You can suppress it if you manage to make some AGI-dictator. But short of that, you are not in luck.
    or, you know, teach people philosophical ethics, and design laws that conform to the superior ethical model.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn
    You need a goal to get there, and then select the path from (situation) to (goal) that has the best outcome.
    The just punishment of the guilty is the best outcome, all other things equal (though not always they are, so sometimes it's a lesser evil to let them get away with evil).
    you are just assetring the premise here again, as part of your argument...




    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn
    There are better models now, more time, more security. The only question is, do you think you can be more reasonable and rational than cave men. I joined these boards when it was still "freethought and rationalism discussion boards". "Letting my revenge boner steer me into revenge" is not a rational process, it is an emotional one.
    Instead of "revenge boner", you should perhaps call it your 'retributive justice moral faculty'. And no, attempting to destroy one of your moral faculties is a bad idea. It's not rational. Or morally acceptable.
    Again begging the question. Are you going to actually provide reasonable arguments? No?

    The first thing to do to get to the truth is to doubt. To doubt the correctness of something that evolved just-so in the Paleolithic age is right up at the top.
    okay: 1. Do you believe that serious crimes should be punished? M. A. does, and conflates punishment with revenge. You seem to accept that conflation. Do you? I don't think they're quite the same thing.
    2. Certain types of offenders are routinely in danger of being beaten by other inmates, and not necessarily raped, because of the nature of the offense.
    3. What do you have against boners? "Revenge craving" or "revenge jones" or "revenge addiction" would make more sense, since you seem to be trying to make a point about revenge that covers more than rape as revenge.
    1: no. Nothing needs to be "punished". Punishment, retribution, revenge are all the same thing, the same action to an outside observer, hurting people because they hurt others. Instead, we need to resolve one or more of how to ethically prevent/eliminate the will, the opportunity, and/or motive that drives criminal action (preferably, eliminating future motive and will, though sometimes prevention of opportunity is necessary). Punishment is, occasionally, a tool in the behavior modification toolbox, but it is the difficult to use and most easily abused tool in that box. There are plenty of places in the world where people do not punish criminals, but instead focus on will/motive/opportunity issues, and it works quite well.

    2. Is does not establish ought.

    3. Nothing, per se. But when you whip your boner out on the subway, or stick your boner in a non-consenting party, or rub it on someone else's pants, that's a big issue. Not every boner needs to be consummated. Some forms of boner ought never be consummated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •