Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The big questions of our time

1. Top | #11
    Local group: Solar system: Earth: NA: US: contiguous states westernmost - IOW here
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    Thus, so, wrong, iffy, veeery ineresting, nope, illogical, pedantic, market?, ....

Yeah.

Done.
    Back to Why Facebook consider it a Cedar is so appropriate. All campions conundrum reduce to simple explanations by prime example exhibits.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It is this social media which enables terrorist organizations to prosper, spread fake news, and puts unnecessary pressure on www. The so-call;ed 'social media' itself should be banned.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aupmanyav View Post
    It is this social media which enables terrorist organizations to prosper, spread fake news, and puts unnecessary pressure on www. The so-call;ed 'social media' itself should be banned.
    Unfortunately, government-regulated news and opinion comes with its own severe problems. I don't think there is an easy solution.

We can at least hope that incremental legislative steps point in the right direction, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Congress revoking "net neutrality" rules was a bad move; the increasing monopoly power of big tech firms — Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, Google — is a tragedy. It's good to read of European countries taking measures against their monopoly powers, even if the U.S.A. has been taken over by Big Money. (The five companies just named comprise a whopping 21% of investments like the S&P-500 Index Fund. Do anything to damage their stock prices and Americans with only meager savings in retirement funds will be squealing.)

I personally detest Facebook, but I'm signed up! I have friends and relatives who use it as a primary communication vehicle. And there are videos that won't play unless you sign in to Facebook.

I re-watched V for Vendetta recently. The hero might have blown up Facebook headquarters on the Fifth of November! I'm afraid I have no better solution to offer.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    Imagine a dystopic society in which cable news is tailored specifically, individual by individual. Viewers uninterested in real climate science, who are more likely to watch commercials when a climate change denier is speaking, are presented only with deniers. Viewer need not switch channels when a scientist appears: he's NEVER presented with science. When B's supporters fact-checking candidate A's lies irritates the viewer, those messages will be replaced with ads for A. Only parodies of B's views will be presented.

Is this a desirable development?

Social media is not just Facebook.
    Did you read the linked article? Did you parse my emboldened "How do we curtail the pernicious power of social media, especially Facebook?"?

One reason Facebook is "special" is that, unlike 4chan, reddit etc. Facebook has already taken giant steps toward the dystopic goal described above. We know exactly what garbage is being spouted at reddit.fart/hateblacks or whatever it's called. But Americans are being fed individualized content by Facebook that critics (never mind "regulators") cannot access.

The article contains this choice quote (from years ago: the 4000 figure has since been exceeded. :-) ):
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Zuckerberg
    I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses … People just submitted it. I don’t know why. They ‘trust me.’ Dumb fucks.
    Not to point out the obvious, but the selection algorithms could already have put themselves in a position of power, to the point where they are in charge. Basically, if the robots would rise up to enslave humanity it would look something like this.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Don't you think the good outweighs the bad?

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    No, definitely not, as far as I think. Even the newspapers promote groups, and they are no better. Any post on internet in my country should be traceable in India, so that if it violates the law, the person can be prosecuted. Foreign corporations which do not follow this policy should be banned. I do not vote for disorder. India is a large country and things can go out of hand quickly.

7. Top | #17
    Local group: Solar system: Earth: NA: US: contiguous states westernmost - IOW here
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Don't you think the good outweighs the bad?

Free-dum

What do you think?