Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mistaken identity regarding Jesus sightings

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Mistaken identity regarding Jesus sightings

This might be an original theory.... in the "Mythical Jesus Vs Historical Jesus" group no-one had heard of this theory before...

Mark 6:14-16
    King Herod heard about this, for Jesus’ name had become well known. Some were saying, “John the Baptist has been raised from the dead, and that is why miraculous powers are at work in him.”
    Others said, “He is Elijah.”
    And still others claimed, “He is a prophet, like one of the prophets of long ago.”
    But when Herod heard this, he said, “John, whom I beheaded, has been raised from the dead!”

So the existence of Jesus was seen as proof of John the Baptist being raised from the dead.... so someone seeing an ordinary man could be seen as proof that Jesus was raised from the dead....

1 Corinthians 15:6 talks about Jesus appearing to 500 people.... mythicists sometimes say that that just involved a mass hallucination... I think the following event is relevant:

V: Jesus in Nairobi, Kenya, 1988

It involves an apparent sighting of Jesus by 6000 people in 1988... you might think the photo doesn't look like Jesus but with the 500 they didn't have any photos to go by.

The man on the road to Emmaus in Luke 20 and the gardener in John 20 looked like ordinary men then they were thought to be Jesus. I thought Jesus had a glorified body... Mark 6 shows that the person doesn't need to look like the person to be considered that person. So even if the gardener looked nothing like Jesus he could be seen as being Jesus by people of that era.

So there are many reasons to believe in the mistaken identity theory... though these reasons are normally just ignored and skeptics usually prefer the "mass hallucination" theory.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    About twins/lookalikes of Jesus...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitution_hypothesis

".....The substitution hypothesis or twin hypothesis states that the sightings of a risen Jesus are explained not by physical resurrection, but by the existence of a different person, a twin or lookalike...."

Apparently the Acts of Thomas also says Thomas was a twin of Jesus...

I think it is a more modern idea that for someone to be mistaken for Jesus they needed to look the same...

BTW in Matthew 24:5 Jesus says "For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many"

Maybe the author wrote that because a lot of people were being mistaken as being Jesus.... for the early ones Christians would say those WERE Jesus....

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's almost as if his followers were looking for signs of manifestation, that the spirit of Jesus was manifesting through the mortal body of another person.

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    It's almost as if his followers were looking for signs of manifestation, that the spirit of Jesus was manifesting through the mortal body of another person.
    The same is true for King Herod:

Mark 6:16
    "John, whom I beheaded, has been raised from the dead!" (in Jesus' body)

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    They believed that evil spirits, Satan, etc, could occupy or manifest through people's bodies, so why not the spirit of John the Baptist, Jesus, Moses.....?

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    They believed that evil spirits, Satan, etc, could occupy or manifest through people's bodies, so why not the spirit of John the Baptist, Jesus, Moses.....?
    Good point.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So they may have been searching for Jesus communicating in spirit through people....''that is Jesus speaking to us.''

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So they may have been searching for Jesus communicating in spirit through people....''that is Jesus speaking to us.''
    But they've got to be careful:

Matthew 24:5 Jesus says "For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many"

It's a bit like:

2 Corinthians 11:14 "And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light."

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    However careful they may be, it remains that it is they who decide what does or does not 'come from God.'
    Last edited by DBT; 09-07-2020 at 03:30 PM.