Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multiple "personalities" and split-brain experiments, etc

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    No. That's not permitted. I'm just saying my views on multivariate analysis go beyond association to determination. Consequently I'm very suspicious of anything, any tool set, manipulating data short of determination goals. Associations are really nothing more than hearsay.
    Well I at least thought stories about split-brain patients was interesting....

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    These concepts explain ancient theories about the "heart" and the "mind" (though both are the mind)

3. Top | #13
    Local group: Solar system: Earth: NA: US: contiguous states westernmost - IOW here
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Twofer

Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    Well I at least thought stories about split-brain patients was interesting....
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    These concepts explain ancient theories about the "heart" and the "mind" (though both are the mind)
    Yes. They are interesting. So too is good fiction often is interesting.

No. I'm not poo pooing "Split brain" approaches to such as male/female or creative/logical or any other location parse. If I were 'I'd be lifting my nose to include what I see as the very important tegmentum studies of rise of consciousness pursued by Crick and others. Place has always been an interesting, if not always productive, direction of brain study.

To clarify, The above are much more qualitative areas of research rather than are they quantitative areas of study which is why we're even discussing them here in the association vs determination arena.

Actually I'm more interested in overlap between learning and affiliation and affect processing within sensory and autonomic pathways than I am in this side/that side or least necessary structures for existence of consciousness. Ah, but in such reductive study we can come across monkey claw detectors in house cats and Barlow face detectors there as well distractions.

4. Top | #14
    Julian Jaynes discusses topics related to this thread topic in his famous 1976 book The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind. Some people think Jaynes' ideas have been debunked, but I think Jaynes' many insights are very valuable and largely correct. Anyone interested in split-brain should read that book!

Perhaps there's been much discussion of Jaynes' ideas here at TFT, but I didn't search.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    Julian Jaynes discusses topics related to this thread topic in his famous 1976 book The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind.....
    Thanks I had heard of that book before but didn't realise it was so ancient... I'm going to look into it...

BTW here's another story about myself... when I was in high school a classmate made me aware that I kept on having a monotone chuckle for no real reason... then the same thing happened in church... so basically I was unaware of the chuckle even after being made aware of it days earlier.

About the ECT and the personality I think it eliminated - in hospital I apparently said to my partner that she had to do certain favours or she didn't love me - I have no memory of that. Also many years earlier I lost memory of the first two days or so of my hospitalisation.... apparently I said to my sisters that I didn't recognise them but they looked familiar.

I think a similar thing happens with some people's drunken state - a different personality could take over and people can lose memory of it....

The last time I was hospitalised I was doing a lot of intermittent fasting. Apparently that can make the brain run on ketones rather than glucose. It can make people have more focus but it made me have the symptoms of anxiety - I thought I was having the symptoms of a heart attack and called an ambulance twice within 24 hours then I was hospitalised for a manic episode. Some drugs can affect people's consciousness. So I make sure I don't fast any more.

BTW I'm aware that this is quite disorganised but I wanted to share this....