Page 237 of 410 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287337 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 4092

Thread: Covid-19 miscellany

  1. Top | #2361
    Super Moderator crazyfingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    2,999
    Archived
    13,699
    Total Posts
    16,698
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post

    You need to give Scott Morrison a call. Sell him some vaccines, or maybe just try to clue him in about the responsibilities of a national leader during a pandemic.
    I've wondered about that. How come Australia sucks so much when it comes to getting their people vaccinated? It's hardly a question of money. Australia is not a poor country.
    Our federal government is currently led by a bunch of right-wing religious nuts. Fortunately, the majority of the pandemic response is handled by the states, with the federal government having only two major areas of responsibility - quarantine of international arrivals, and procurement and distribution of vaccines. Unfortunately, they have fucked up both, leaving the states to clean up their mess.
    I would contend that only about half the states recognize that there is a problem.

  2. Top | #2362
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    always on the move
    Posts
    1,590
    Archived
    801
    Total Posts
    2,391
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    There have been a lot more variants than this. The letters are only given to the ones that are a substantial increase in the threat.
    YES. Last time I read, which was like 3 weeks ago, they were up to Lambda. Lambda is also one of the dangerous ones.
    Wait'll they get to Omega Mu. That'll be the hefty one.
    NEEEEERRRRDDDD!!!!!

  3. Top | #2363
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    25,063
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    35,540
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    Yup, it scored me pretty much as I expected it would.

    They never responded when I pointed out a problem, though--one of the analogy questions had "Tile is to roof" as the first half--which is a perfectly good type-of to me as I live in a house with a concrete tile (commonly called "tile" here) roof.
    I'm not sure what you think is a problem here; Most British houses have tiled roofs, and the test is aimed at and written for British people.

    They probably couldn't care less about picky Americans who perceive a problem that is entirely due to their being outside the target audience.
    Except it scored me wrong for treating it as a type-of analogy.
    Which is because you're American.

    In America, tile is a type of roof. In Britain, tile is a component of a tiled roof.

    The only problem here is that your assumptions are different in detail from those of the target audience, which isn't a problem for them at all.

  4. Top | #2364
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    25,063
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    35,540
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post

    Our federal government is currently led by a bunch of right-wing religious nuts. Fortunately, the majority of the pandemic response is handled by the states, with the federal government having only two major areas of responsibility - quarantine of international arrivals, and procurement and distribution of vaccines. Unfortunately, they have fucked up both, leaving the states to clean up their mess.
    I would contend that only about half the states recognize that there is a problem.
    Only two of six have much of a problem; And that's because all six, and the two mainland territories, have taken it seriously from the outset.

    Victoria learned some hard lessons about just how hard and fast a lockdown is necessary to contain an outbreak; And now New South Wales is failing to take that lesson, for dumb political reasons, and is struggling to contain its outbreak.

    Even Gladys Binchicken recognises the threat, despite her disinclination to act as fast or as firmly as the experience south of the Murray indicated was necessary.

  5. Top | #2365
    Super Moderator crazyfingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    2,999
    Archived
    13,699
    Total Posts
    16,698
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post

    Our federal government is currently led by a bunch of right-wing religious nuts. Fortunately, the majority of the pandemic response is handled by the states, with the federal government having only two major areas of responsibility - quarantine of international arrivals, and procurement and distribution of vaccines. Unfortunately, they have fucked up both, leaving the states to clean up their mess.
    I would contend that only about half the states recognize that there is a problem.
    Only two of six have much of a problem; And that's because all six, and the two mainland territories, have taken it seriously from the outset.

    Victoria learned some hard lessons about just how hard and fast a lockdown is necessary to contain an outbreak; And now New South Wales is failing to take that lesson, for dumb political reasons, and is struggling to contain its outbreak.

    Even Gladys Binchicken recognises the threat, despite her disinclination to act as fast or as firmly as the experience south of the Murray indicated was necessary.
    Forgot you are a tad south of me. I was thinking the US states where some state level governments are even discouraging getting the vaccine.

  6. Top | #2366
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    3,592
    Archived
    7,588
    Total Posts
    11,180
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    This is not good.
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    As of Thursday, 882 people were tied to the Provincetown outbreak. Among those living in Massachusetts, 74% of them were fully immunized, yet officials said the vast majority were also reporting symptoms. Seven people were reported hospitalized.

    The initial findings of the investigation led by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, in conjunction with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, seemed to have huge implications.
    If this is confirmed, the unvaccinated have fucked America's chance of stopping Covid-19, and the only way this ends is everyone gets it.

    Cloth masks don't cut it now.
    If vaccines don't work everyone getting it won't work, either.
    That is not necessarily the case. Vaccines were made for a different variant. If Moderna or Pfizer made a vaccine targeting Delta and that were to fail, yeah that would provide good evidence that getting it won't work, either. But they have not targeted Delta.

  7. Top | #2367
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    32,992
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    129,744
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Angra Mainyu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    If vaccines don't work everyone getting it won't work, either.
    That is not necessarily the case. Vaccines were made for a different variant. If Moderna or Pfizer made a vaccine targeting Delta and that were to fail, yeah that would provide good evidence that getting it won't work, either. But they have not targeted Delta.
    I was using "vaccines" in the general form. The numbers make it clear they should be doing a booster for Delta. I wonder how much testing the FDA will require on it given how tiny a change it is to the basic technology.

  8. Top | #2368
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    3,592
    Archived
    7,588
    Total Posts
    11,180
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angra Mainyu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    If vaccines don't work everyone getting it won't work, either.
    That is not necessarily the case. Vaccines were made for a different variant. If Moderna or Pfizer made a vaccine targeting Delta and that were to fail, yeah that would provide good evidence that getting it won't work, either. But they have not targeted Delta.
    I was using "vaccines" in the general form. The numbers make it clear they should be doing a booster for Delta. I wonder how much testing the FDA will require on it given how tiny a change it is to the basic technology.
    No idea, but they shouldn't require almost any, if that, given that the increased risk is negligible. It's pretty much the same thing, in terms of potential side-effects. The risk of people dying from Delta is much greater - though I guess not so much if they have two doses already; but it's still better than the disease, and it protects others.

  9. Top | #2369
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    32,992
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    129,744
    Rep Power
    100
    Florida hospitals are overloading with the "flu":

    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2021/0...navirus-surge/

    Current growth rates will blow through last year's peak in a week.

  10. Top | #2370
    Super Moderator crazyfingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    2,999
    Archived
    13,699
    Total Posts
    16,698
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Florida hospitals are overloading with the "flu":

    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2021/0...navirus-surge/

    Current growth rates will blow through last year's peak in a week.
    Baton Rouge, LA children's hospital filling up
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/30/us/ba...rge/index.html

    And moron FL governor bans schools from requiring masks. Giving parents the freedom to choose that their kids can get other kids sick.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/30/us/fl...sks/index.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •