1. Top | #2271
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

Except for the issue of long covid.
    Or: pure speculation, a re-emergence of the disease in another form, such as chicken pox: shingles.
    These are viruses which embeds itself into genome, C19 is not one of them. it can't do that.
    That's not how chickenpox re-emerges as shingles.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20353054

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles.

2. Top | #2272
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    These are viruses which embeds itself into genome, C19 is not one of them. it can't do that.
    Doesn't mean it can't hide out in the body.
    To hide it have to embed itself into genome and stay dormant, otherwise it's active and you are sick or at least viral load positive.
    Hiding in the genome is the only way of hiding.
    1) HIV can be driven to undetectable levels--but comes back if you quit taking the drugs.

2) In 1982 a mosquito bit me and I got malaria. In 2003? it came back--original infection, I haven't set foot in the malaria zone since then. Malaria certainly can't hide out in the genome.

3. Top | #2273
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith&Co. View Post
    Has anyone mentioned shoes?
    My podiatrist just mentioned shoes.

Expect a coming shortage of shoes.
    Because where they make the shoes we buy, they're not COVIDing well.
    According to him, Bangladesh has a vaccination rate of about 1.6%, which is having an incredibly unsurprising effect on their shoe industry.
    Well, fortunately I have a stockpile of shoes. (Nothing to do with Covid, it's just that it's so hard to find shoes that do fit that I tend to stockpile when I find comfortable ones.)

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Harris View Post
    Exactly right. It will have next to no impact at all in this part of the country. They will just say it is "another lie".

Ruth
    Yup, even with loved ones dying there are people who will still deny it. A doctor even said one patient asked that they don’t put COVID on his death certificate if he dies. Supporting the lie even beyond death.
    Well, I actually would like the doctor not to put Covid. Rather, the death certificates for people like this should say "hoax".

Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    The CDC is now recommending that even the vaccinated should start wearing masks again indoors. The delta strain is that pernicious.

Frankly, I'm seeing more and more of the vaccinated are getting pissed off at the unvaccinated. For good reason, I'd say.
    Duh! The CDC was idiotic in removing the mask mandate before.

4. Top | #2274
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles.
    Your link is mostly correct; Whether Barbos is too, depends on what he means by 'embeds itself in the genome'. Varicella (VZV) latency is characterised by the presence of episomal plasmids in axons; These aren't a part of the nuclear genome, and are not incorporated into the chromosomes, but they are DNA (rather than RNA). I would certainly hesitate to characterise this as 'embedding itself in the genome'.

It's now been determined that VZV latency is strictly Axonal, rather than being characteristic of satellite cells as implied by your link (and as was understood to be the case for a long time for sound clinical reasons, and which would have implied replication as part of routine mitosis - which would require closer involvement in the nuclear genome). PCR and laser-capture microdissection has definitively determined that the VZV episome in fact resides directly within ganglionic neurons during latency, rather than being incorporated into the DNA of nearby cells. (Eshleman, Shahzad and Cohrs, Future Virol. 2011 Mar; 6(3): 341–355)

TL;DR you are right, and he is out of date.

5. Top | #2275
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    More Newsom hypocrisy;

California Governor Gavin Newsom pulls his kids from summer camp after his son, 10, was pictured maskless indoors in violation of his rules for kids ages two and older. Newsom on July 9 ruled that children in California must still wear face masks at school and at summer camps, despite the CDC changing its rules to say that face masks were no longer necessary.
    DailyMail

Hopefully this prick get recalled.

And I guess the "we follow the science and data" mantra has been thrown out altogether as the CDC has recommended vaccinated people and kids wear masks despite zero evidence to support that decision.[*] Compliance will be low.
    *Citation needed, still waiting.

6. Top | #2276
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post

Your link is mostly correct; Whether Barbos is too, depends on what he means by 'embeds itself in the genome'. Varicella (VZV) latency is characterised by the presence of episomal plasmids in axons; These aren't a part of the nuclear genome, and are not incorporated into the chromosomes, but they are DNA (rather than RNA). I would certainly hesitate to characterise this as 'embedding itself in the genome'.

It's now been determined that VZV latency is strictly Axonal, rather than being characteristic of satellite cells as implied by your link (and as was understood to be the case for a long time for sound clinical reasons, and which would have implied replication as part of routine mitosis - which would require closer involvement in the nuclear genome). PCR and laser-capture microdissection has definitively determined that the VZV episome in fact resides directly within ganglionic neurons during latency, rather than being incorporated into the DNA of nearby cells. (Eshleman, Shahzad and Cohrs, Future Virol. 2011 Mar; 6(3): 341–355)

TL;DR you are right, and he is out of date.
    I am not out of date, just wrong. Actually I remember reading about claims that flue can hide in nerve cells too, in some people.
    So yeah, C19 could too potentially.

7. Top | #2277
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Nearly 85,000 cases today. Floriduh is over 16,000 and helping to seed the disease across America. CDC is reversing policy on masks indoors because of alleged data that required immediate protocol changes. Nearly half the US states are over 1,000 daily new cases today. The anti-vaxxers have successfully caused their own surge. Congrats you fucking idiots.
    Quote Originally Posted by blastula View Post
    More Newsom hypocrisy;

California Governor Gavin Newsom pulls his kids from summer camp after his son, 10, was pictured maskless indoors in violation of his rules for kids ages two and older. Newsom on July 9 ruled that children in California must still wear face masks at school and at summer camps, despite the CDC changing its rules to say that face masks were no longer necessary.
    DailyMail

Hopefully this prick get recalled.

And I guess the "we follow the science and data" mantra has been thrown out altogether as the CDC has recommended vaccinated people and kids wear masks despite zero evidence to support that decision.[*] Compliance will be low.
    I believe it is 'broken clock'.

8. Top | #2278
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by blastula View Post
    And I guess the "we follow the science and data" mantra has been thrown out altogether as the CDC has recommended vaccinated people and kids wear masks despite zero evidence to support that decision.[*]
    I’m as disappointed in the CDC as you are. They provide no supporting evidence for their arbitrary directives.

9. Top | #2279
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Nearly 85,000 cases today.
    Hooray! in Covid19 Olumpics US is well ahead of Russia again (per capita) Russia. Russia is still ahead in daily deaths.

10. Top | #2280
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    To hide it have to embed itself into genome and stay dormant, otherwise it's active and you are sick or at least viral load positive.
    Hiding in the genome is the only way of hiding.
    1) HIV can be driven to undetectable levels--but comes back if you quit taking the drugs.

2) In 1982 a mosquito bit me and I got malaria. In 2003? it came back--original infection, I haven't set foot in the malaria zone since then. Malaria certainly can't hide out in the genome.
    Some viruses can and do insert themselves into part of human DNA and leave part of itself behind, causing a mutation which may or may not be edited out by our cells. Sometimes when the mutation remains, it can lead to certain kinds of cancer. An example of this is any of the more than 100 different HPV viruses.

HIV can be driven to undetectable levels through antiretroviral drugs. The anti-retrovirals work to suppress the replication of the HIV retrovirus.

Malaria is not a virus. Malaria is disease caused by one of several different plasmodium parasite species. It causes damage by breaking out of the cells it lives in. Anti-malarial drugs can suppress or even eliminate malaria from the body. Humans can be reinfected when they are bitten by another mosquito carrying any of the species of plasmodium parasite that causes malaria. I've known people who were re-infected multiple times. Because it is not a virus or a bacteria, the body does not really become more immune to malaria.

COVID 19 is caused by a coronovirus, so called because of the crown like structure of spikes on its surface. A virus is just a strand of RNA or DNA encased in a protein coat. It is unable to replicate itself without inserting itself into the DNA of another living organism and using that organism's DNA replicating structures to replicate itself. This is true of all viruses.

This is a very simple description of COVID 19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

Some viruses are eliminated from the human body but some viruses manage to hide in certain parts of the body, even after illness has passed (if the person was ever actually ill from the virus). Two examples of this type of virus are varicella-zoster virus which causes chickenpox as the primary infection/disease but the virus remains within the nerve endings and can re-emerge to cause shingles; a second type of virus which can cause disease from mild to serious is the Epstein Barr virus which can cause infectious mononucleosis. The virus remains in the body after the patient has recovered and can be reactivated if the patient becomes too run down and spread even if the patient is asymptomatic.

Viruses DO NOT hide in the genome!