Page 420 of 420 FirstFirst ... 320370410418419420
Results 4,191 to 4,198 of 4198

Thread: Covid-19 miscellany

1. Top | #4191
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    These are the people that cut you off while running a stop sign and then flip you the middle finger if you honk. All of the data is staring them in the face and they refuse to see it.
    From what I can tell, it's not that they don't see the data. They believe it is phony: made up, make believe, a hoax.

How many times can I say this? My PARENTS are anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers. Their neighbors (the elderly couple across the street) are as well. They are Trumpsters, hard-right Republicans, and they believe that those in power on the LEFT (the "asshole liberals") have all conspired to cook the data: to exaggerate the numbers, to outright lie, to willfully make the virus appear way more dangerous than it really is. They do believe the virus exists, but they think it's no worse than the average flu. They really do. I have heard the conversations.

They believe that it's a way for the LEFT to see how manageable the "herd" is, to gauge their obedience, their willingness to follow gub'mint orders. To put on the mask is a sign of weakness, of submission, of mindless subservience. The maskers are "sheeple". They really do think this way. And it's not just my parents or their neighbors. I have heard the same theories from people at work, or from others I know online.

"These are the people that cut you off while running a stop sign and then flip you the middle finger if you honk." - Such a comment completely misses the real problem. Ever been to Lake Havasu City during Spring Break? Odds are every time someone cuts you off and flips you the bird during that time, it's a spoiled, shitfaced college student.
    A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying in other words that he is wiser today than he was yesterday.
    - Alexander Pope

2. Top | #4192
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WAB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    These are the people that cut you off while running a stop sign and then flip you the middle finger if you honk. All of the data is staring them in the face and they refuse to see it.
    From what I can tell, it's not that they don't see the data. They believe it is phony: made up, make believe, a hoax.

How many times can I say this? My PARENTS are anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers. Their neighbors (the elderly couple across the street) are as well. They are Trumpsters, hard-right Republicans, and they believe that those in power on the LEFT (the "asshole liberals") have all conspired to cook the data: to exaggerate the numbers, to outright lie, to willfully make the virus appear way more dangerous than it really is. They do believe the virus exists, but they think it's no worse than the average flu. They really do. I have heard the conversations.

They believe that it's a way for the LEFT to see how manageable the "herd" is, to gauge their obedience, their willingness to follow gub'mint orders. To put on the mask is a sign of weakness, of submission, of mindless subservience. The maskers are "sheeple". They really do think this way. And it's not just my parents or their neighbors. I have heard the same theories from people at work, or from others I know online.

"These are the people that cut you off while running a stop sign and then flip you the middle finger if you honk." - Such a comment completely misses the real problem. Ever been to Lake Havasu City during Spring Break? Odds are every time someone cuts you off and flips you the bird during that time, it's a spoiled, shitfaced college student.
    I've heard those conspiracy arguments only once. Most of what I hear is that they haven't gotten around to it, don't do flu shots, don't have the time, etc. I've heard the anti-liberal scree as a reason but it wasn't couched in pure scientific illiteracy. Maybe I just hang with a more educated crowd, which I do actually. We also tend to be older and more socially active so that makes us more likely to get the jab.

I wish only the refusenik idiots were suffering and dying but that's obviously not the case. Their stupidity is causing needless death and suffering for others and they don't care.

3. Top | #4193
    Veteran Member
    I wish only the refusenik idiots were suffering and dying but that's obviously not the case. Their stupidity is causing needless death and suffering for others and they don't care.
    This is exactly the part that makes me angry. People talk about vaccination and such as a personal choice. But it hugely impacts everyone.

It is not only a personal choice.
    Tom

4. Top | #4194
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post

I've heard those conspiracy arguments only once. Most of what I hear is that they haven't gotten around to it, don't do flu shots, don't have the time, etc. I've heard the anti-liberal scree as a reason but it wasn't couched in pure scientific illiteracy. Maybe I just hang with a more educated crowd, which I do actually. We also tend to be older and more socially active so that makes us more likely to get the jab.

That you hang out with a more educated crowd is most likely. But you still don't seem to grasp my point.

If Most of what I hear is that they haven't gotten around to it, don't do flu shots, don't have the time, etc, and you say you hang around with a more educated crowd, then you are saying that it's the educated refuseniks who are selfish and lazy? Is that what you mean? Because, as I continue to point out, if a person (like my parents and many others) is a refusenik because they are ignorant, watch only Fox news, and/or are convinced that the Covid 19 virus is an elaborate hoax, or in any case extremely exaggerated (as a means of seeing how compliant and manageable the "sheeple" really are), then it is NOT out of selfishness or laziness, or apathy, or malice that they refuse the vaccine, and/or refuse the mask. Least of all malice. They are proud in believing that they have not been tricked into submission! They are NOT out to kill people wantonly!

So, it seems to me that obnoxious, spoiled college students, ie, the "more educated crowd" (assuming they know the virus is real and deadly and not a hoax or exaggerated for political reasons), are no doubt much more likely to cut you off and flip you the bird for honking, to refer to Jimmy's remark, than some average elderly republican and/or conspiracy theorist. And no doubt far more likely to be lazy, selfish, and even malignantly stupid.
    A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying in other words that he is wiser today than he was yesterday.
    - Alexander Pope

5. Top | #4195
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Former russian president Dmitry Medvedev got sick with symptoms consistent with C19.
    I presume he was vaccinated for sure. And Putin himself is in quarantine, saying large number in his immediate circle were infected.
    Yeah, he probably is. And they probably will both be alright, though that Medvedev got sick might get some people to distrust the vaccine

(btw, our president also was fully vaccinated and got a mild case of covid, and some thought that the vaccine wasn't good because of that; some others thought it was good because the case was mild, and yet some others thought he was lying and wasn't sick).

6. Top | #4196
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts

That you hang out with a more educated crowd is most likely. But you still don't seem to grasp my point.

If Most of what I hear is that they haven't gotten around to it, don't do flu shots, don't have the time, etc, and you say you hang around with a more educated crowd, then you are saying that it's the educated refuseniks who are selfish and lazy? Is that what you mean? Because, as I continue to point out, if a person (like my parents and many others) is a refusenik because they are ignorant, watch only Fox news, and/or are convinced that the Covid 19 virus is an elaborate hoax, or in any case extremely exaggerated (as a means of seeing how compliant and manageable the "sheeple" really are), then it is NOT out of selfishness or laziness, or apathy, or malice that they refuse the vaccine, and/or refuse the mask. Least of all malice. They are proud in believing that they have not been tricked into submission! They are NOT out to kill people wantonly!

So, it seems to me that obnoxious, spoiled college students, ie, the "more educated crowd" (assuming they know the virus is real and deadly and not a hoax or exaggerated for political reasons), are no doubt much more likely to cut you off and flip you the bird for honking, to refer to Jimmy's remark, than some average elderly republican and/or conspiracy theorist. And no doubt far more likely to be lazy, selfish, and even malignantly stupid.
    I know of three people out of dozens who have not gotten the jab of whom I associate with on a regular basis. None of those three are college educated, if that makes a difference, and they are super good friends. So maybe I gave the wrong impression. They are the exceptions and their reasoning is as I've stated. But they are quite civil, almost apologetic, definitely not Karens or FOXheads. If I had to guess why, their decision is a political choice not a medically informed one.

7. Top | #4197
    Archived
    Total Posts

I know of three people out of dozens who have not gotten the jab of whom I associate with on a regular basis. None of those three are college educated, if that makes a difference, and they are super good friends. So maybe I gave the wrong impression. They are the exceptions and their reasoning is as I've stated. But they are quite civil, almost apologetic, definitely not Karens or FOXheads. If I had to guess why, their decision is a political choice not a medically informed one.
    My daughter's boyfriend just won't get the vaccine either. His whole family is Republican. They have grandma, mother, father and 3 siblings and two in laws and a baby all living in one house. I have been told the women are vaccinated and the men are not. Why I don't know. My daughter tries to get her boyfriend to just do it. He claims he has no time. I don't buy it. He works from 3:00pm to 11pm. It takes 10 minutes to go do CVS and just do it. Something else is going on.

I've warned my daughter that when her mother is finally able to come home from Canada (where as a US citizen she can not get a vaccine) we may not be comfortable her living here in our house, her having sex with her boyfriend, until my wife can get vaccinated here. She may have to live at my mom's unoccupied home 35 minutes away. Even telling her BF this does not nudge him into getting the vaccine. I don't know how much he buys into the anti-vax lies. He has also told my daughter that he wants to wait until only one vaccine is approved and I've told her that that will never happen. There will always be at least Pfizer and Madurna. I'm starting to think that he's worried if his family find out he got vaccinated he'd be in trouble with the family. I've said no insurance is needed. Keep it secret. No go.

Seems to me he's just coming up with stupid excuses. And unfortunately it puts my daughter and us in a bind. I'm not very comfortable her having sex with an unvaccinated boyfriend and living here anyway. But at least the boys and I are vaccinated. But when my wife can finally come home it will be a whole different situation.

8. Top | #4198
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    Former russian president Dmitry Medvedev got sick with symptoms consistent with C19.
    I presume he was vaccinated for sure. And Putin himself is in quarantine, saying large number in his immediate circle were infected.
    source?