Page 176 of 255 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 2544

Thread: Covid-19 miscellany

  1. Top | #1751
    Contributor repoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,933
    Archived
    2,280
    Total Posts
    10,213
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    70% won't do it against the Delta variant.
    If it were only 2-dosers comprising the 70% and the vaccinations were all Pfizer, they might be close. But it's 70% of adults have at least 1 dose. I don't see why they didn't wait 3 weeks for them to be at 2 doses. 1 dose is 30% effective and that seems like too much spread..
    I see that it is 80% effective from a 20 second search as it seemed from my memory from a couple months ago.

    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/cdc-...effective.html

    What is up with the Chicken Littles on this thread?

    Yeah, covid can kill you DEAD and I got my shots, but holy shit get a grip!

  2. Top | #1752
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,925
    Archived
    17,741
    Total Posts
    28,666
    Rep Power
    80
    Delta variant statistics were not available 2 months ago.

    The Pfizer (and other mRNA) vaccines are only 33% effective at 1 dose. See Page 51 of this report:

  3. Top | #1753
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    5,557
    Rep Power
    30
    Restrictions lifted in California. Huge crowds at Disneyland;

    A massive line to get into Disneyland wound like a human snake through an unused transportation center and stretched up and down Harbor Boulevard as pandemic rules came to an end and out-of-state visitors jammed into the Anaheim theme park.

    The first day without pandemic restrictions at Disneyland brought with it massive lines, huge crowds, no masks and an end to physical distancing on a hot and sweaty day that crept close to triple digits.
    https://www.ocregister.com/2021/06/1...sks-hot-temps/

    And capacity crowd at Dodger Stadium tonight. Not many masks being worn either. Mary Hart is behind home plate sans mask. Pujols is playing first base tonight the scamp that he is.

  4. Top | #1754
    Contributor DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,503
    Archived
    5,746
    Total Posts
    15,249
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    70% won't do it against the Delta variant.
    If it were only 2-dosers comprising the 70% and the vaccinations were all Pfizer, they might be close. But it's 70% of adults have at least 1 dose. I don't see why they didn't wait 3 weeks for them to be at 2 doses. 1 dose is 30% effective and that seems like too much spread..
    I see that it is 80% effective from a 20 second search as it seemed from my memory from a couple months ago.

    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/cdc-...effective.html

    What is up with the Chicken Littles on this thread?

    Yeah, covid can kill you DEAD and I got my shots, but holy shit get a grip!
    The effectiveness is based on the trials with a limited number of people. There is a lot of random in those numbers. The effectiveness percentages don't mean what people think they mean. For all we know J&J could be more effective than Pfizer.

    For example, in the J & J trial they did PCR tests on all participants continually. In the Pfizer and Moderna tria they only tested those with symptoms. As we all know, a lot of those sick with Covid-19 are asymptomatic

  5. Top | #1755
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    32,528
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    129,280
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    70% won't do it against the Delta variant.
    If it were only 2-dosers comprising the 70% and the vaccinations were all Pfizer, they might be close. But it's 70% of adults have at least 1 dose. I don't see why they didn't wait 3 weeks for them to be at 2 doses. 1 dose is 30% effective and that seems like too much spread..
    I see that it is 80% effective from a 20 second search as it seemed from my memory from a couple months ago.

    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/cdc-...effective.html

    What is up with the Chicken Littles on this thread?

    Yeah, covid can kill you DEAD and I got my shots, but holy shit get a grip!
    The question is how many need to be vaccinated for herd immunity.

    If it's only 80% effective against the Delta variant it's not going to do it even at a 100% vaccination rate.

  6. Top | #1756
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    32,528
    Archived
    96,752
    Total Posts
    129,280
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Delta variant statistics were not available 2 months ago.

    The Pfizer (and other mRNA) vaccines are only 33% effective at 1 dose. See Page 51 of this report:
    I guess we need a booster against Delta then. The current vaccine can't stop it.

  7. Top | #1757
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    5,557
    Rep Power
    30
    Jeezus christ on a pogo stick what the actual fuck ?



    Corden really is a weapons grade knob end.

  8. Top | #1758
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    23,850
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    40,403
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    If it's only 80% effective against the Delta variant it's not going to do it even at a 100% vaccination rate.
    What?

    80% effective means you have an 80% chance of not getting an infection if you are exposed.

    Of the small percentage of people who are exposed only 20% will have a chance of being infected.

    If 10% of people vaccinated are exposed that means that only 2% of the people vaccinated have a chance to develop an infection.

    Less than that will actually develop an infection due to natural immunity in some people.

  9. Top | #1759
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    2,908
    Archived
    4,183
    Total Posts
    7,091
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Restrictions lifted in California. Huge crowds at Disneyland;

    A massive line to get into Disneyland wound like a human snake through an unused transportation center and stretched up and down Harbor Boulevard as pandemic rules came to an end and out-of-state visitors jammed into the Anaheim theme park.

    The first day without pandemic restrictions at Disneyland brought with it massive lines, huge crowds, no masks and an end to physical distancing on a hot and sweaty day that crept close to triple digits.
    https://www.ocregister.com/2021/06/1...sks-hot-temps/

    And capacity crowd at Dodger Stadium tonight. Not many masks being worn either. Mary Hart is behind home plate sans mask. Pujols is playing first base tonight the scamp that he is.
    It seems to be different here in Northern California....people apparently have not got the memo. I went into Home Depot and Lowe's on Tuesday and Wednesday expecting to see maskless people high-fiving each other, but every single employee and customer had a mask on still, like nothing had changed. I saw two masked women taking their kids (also masked) for a walk OUTSIDE on a quiet surburban street. Went to El Pollo Loco yesterday evening and everyone was still wearing masks, though a maskless couple did come in later. I don't know what the fuck is going on. Severe TDS still?

  10. Top | #1760
    Elder Contributor barbos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mlky Way galaxy
    Posts
    11,986
    Archived
    8,047
    Total Posts
    20,033
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    If it's only 80% effective against the Delta variant it's not going to do it even at a 100% vaccination rate.
    What?

    80% effective means you have an 80% chance of not getting an infection if you are exposed.

    Of the small percentage of people who are exposed only 20% will have a chance of being infected.

    If 10% of people vaccinated are exposed that means that only 2% of the people vaccinated have a chance to develop an infection.

    Less than that will actually develop an infection due to natural immunity in some people.
    The question at what vaccination rate it kills the spread. It's possible to have increase in infections when 100% are vaccinated.
    Of course vaccination is not the only thing which decreases the spread. Masks reduce spread too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •