Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Selection pressures for long hair and beards in humans?

1. Top | #41
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    ....But you are talking about a simulation of the real world.
    I think it is loosely based on the "real" world. It probably has similar physics.

What's the point not making an accurate simulation, and only make one good enough to fool humans?
    For entertainment and personal growth... plus you could have billions of them.... (because they're not very resource intensive)

That's the plot of Matrix.
    In the Matrix there mainly seems to be a single simulation (at a time). I'm talking about billions. And if you died in the game you don't need to die in real life.

While a cool twist, it's a stupid plot device. It's in nobody's interest to do this. Nobody would make such a simulator. While fun to speculate on, it's been done already. It's the film Matrix. So we can stop discussing it and go and re-watch the movie instead
    The Matrix only simulated around the turn of the millenium. The simulation I'm talking about could be at any point in history - or invented histories like The Elder Scrolls, or Star Wars... or Rick and Morty (with a faithful cartoon style)
    Also if you're talking about a perfect simulation - well people could just watch old documentaries...

2. Top | #42
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    For entertainment and personal growth... plus you could have billions of them.... (because they're not very resource intensive)
    Sure, but what's the point? Unless we're aware of this, then there's no meaning to it.

That's the plot of Matrix.
    In the Matrix there mainly seems to be a single simulation (at a time). I'm talking about billions. And if you died in the game you don't need to die in real life.
    I'd hate to be nit-picky, but if your simulation is accurate, then there's no difference between dying the real world or dying in the simulation. It will feel the same.

3. Top | #43
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Sure, but what's the point? Unless we're aware of this, then there's no meaning to it.
    When Morty plays the Roy game and in Alan Watts' dream example, the player chooses to play the game but then temporarily loses access to their original memories. Like I said the point for the players could be for entertainment and personal growth (though they could be like the player watching over The Sims) There could be NPCs that are just along for the ride. I'm not like some people that believe in some ideas to try and maximize meaning...

I'd hate to be nit-picky, but if your simulation is accurate, then there's no difference between dying the real world or dying in the simulation. It will feel the same.
    In a simulation dying could result in you waking up to your true identity (see Morty plays the Roy game and in Alan Watts' dream example) - but dying in base reality would involve no afterlife. And as far as I can remember there's no afterlife in the Matrix movies.

BTW in this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA5PlJiqOnk
    there is a simulation where a person plays the role of God. He loses memory of his original identity and the purpose is to test his character to see if he'd abuse his power given infinite power.
    Last edited by excreationist; 01-30-2021 at 01:32 AM.