Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Computer Question

1. Top | #11
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

I think it's one of those situations where the specs need to keep going up to justify a higher price, but where the high-end isn't really necessary. I'm currently running an i5 with 8 GB of RAM and that's plenty. With how bulky Windows and internet browsers are these days you wouldn't want to go less than 8gb, and 16gb is probably a wise choice. But I can't imagine what any basic user would need with more (outside of those who play video games).
    It's my understanding that Windows can't address anything more than 8 gigs unless that's changed in recent versions.
    If memory serves it isn’t unaddressed, it isn’t needed. There are so many more component things to consider like memory speed, processor, ability to keep the rig cool, hard drive verses SSD, and how much crap is running in the background.

2. Top | #12
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

I think it's one of those situations where the specs need to keep going up to justify a higher price, but where the high-end isn't really necessary. I'm currently running an i5 with 8 GB of RAM and that's plenty. With how bulky Windows and internet browsers are these days you wouldn't want to go less than 8gb, and 16gb is probably a wise choice. But I can't imagine what any basic user would need with more (outside of those who play video games).
    It's my understanding that Windows can't address anything more than 8 gigs unless that's changed in recent versions.
    8GB was the limit for Win 7 Home Basic and Win Vista Home Basic.

For Win 10 the lowest memory limit is 128gb (other than the 4gb limit of 32 bit editions.)

I'm running Win 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 7 Pro), 64 gb installed. I'm currently using 29gb of that with just the stuff I have open all the time.

3. Top | #13
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Okay, so it has changed. Thanks for the update.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.