Thread: Four-day workweek?

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Four-day workweek?

Both articles are from last June, and I'm not catching up.
    The day is dawning on a four-day work week
    For example, when millions more Canadians started working from home, many businesses were forced to experiment with telecommuting. Interestingly, many now say they’ll continue after the pandemic passes, because it benefits employers and employees alike.

Another idea, less widely tested than telecommuting, is generating buzz: the four-day work week. New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern raised the possibility of a shortened work week as a way to divvy up jobs, encourage local tourism, help with work-life balance and increase productivity.

As a sociologist who teaches about work and wrote a book about productivity, I believe she’s right.
    This means working 30 (4d * 7.5h) hours a week instead of 40 hours (5d * 8h), though productivity often improves during one's working time -- one's more rested and ready for work.

A four-day work week might be exactly what the U.S. — and its economy — needs right now
    Workers who clock in just four days a week report being happier and more productive, and small businesses say it gives them an edge in attracting and motivating workers. Now, the prospect of having long weekends every week is gaining traction across corporate America.

The four-day workweek got a boost when former Democratic presidential hopeful Andrew Yang touted the concept on his social media channels recently, in response to a proposal from New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern that post-coronavirus economic recovery would benefit from three-day weekends.
    Both articles mention
    Jacinda Ardern flags four-day working week as way to rebuild New Zealand after Covid-19 | World news | The Guardian
    She's the Prime Minister of New Zealand, and her party won a majority in the recent elections there, effectively re-electing her as Prime Minister.
    New Zealand’s prime minister Jacinda Ardern has suggested employers consider a four-day working week and other flexible working options as a way to boost tourism and help employees address persistent work/life balance issues.

In a Facebook live video Ardern said people had suggested everything from the shorter work week to more public holidays as a means to stimulate the economy and encourage domestic tourism, while the borders remain closed to foreign nationals.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Should have happened a long time ago. Not everyone wants to work their life away.

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I had this discussion with the CEO of my company not too long ago, not explicitly about a four day work week but about using overtime.

I stood my ground and told him point blank that I wouldn't be pushing the people in the department that I lead into overtime because doing so would yield no benefit; that if I did it for one week, we would be only a tiny bit further ahead on the problem, and that if I did it for more than that, the employees would start hating their jobs and working like shit.

The whole department was in the room at the time this went down, too.

It wasn't the answer he wanted to hear, but the results are palpable: after a week of doing 1-on-1 meetings in my department, the morale and work satisfaction in the department is better than any I have ever been a member of.

I regularly tell my employees that my number one concern is making sure they have an acceptable (to them) work/life balance, within the terms of their employment.

Then, I'm also ceding two thirds of my stock options to the department.

I really hope at some point to be able to leverage a shorter work week at my company, too, at some point, but I need to get some more time under my belt as the department head before I can swing it.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I worked 40 hours a week with 4 10 hour days for many years. I liked this. Not everybody likes 10 hour days, but I liked it. we worked 50 hours or more a week at certain times of the year where we were involved in project where we expected customers for support at an important trade show.
    Cheerful Charlie

5. Top | #5
    I technically work four days a week, but as my schedule is not very regular due to the nature of my job, that's a very hypothetical state of being.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In one job that I had, we experimented with a four day week, but one of the women became pregnant and long days were too much for her, so we ended the experiment.

In my last job in the Atlanta area, I told them I would stay if they would let me work 4 days a week, for a 32 hour week. I loved it and I always worked fast enough to get all of the work done in 32 hours. Too bad I only got paid for the 4 days.

I think a 32 hour work week would be good for everyone. Unfortunately, it seems as if people are now working more than 40 hours and most nurses are having to work 12 hour shifts. I could never do that, even if I had a few days off to rest. Some people like that because they have so many days off in exchange for working their asses off on the days that they work.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I have a four day workweek usually. It's pretty nice.