Thread: CALLING ALL COMPUTER EXPERTS : I need help altering images

1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

CALLING ALL COMPUTER EXPERTS : I need help altering images

Ok, I really like the cover art on this sci-fi novel

Is there any way I could save just that image of the alien and edit out everything else on that cover?

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Potoooooooo View Post
    Ok, I really like the cover art on this sci-fi novel

Is there any way I could save just that image of the alien and edit out everything else on that cover?

Try GIMP.
    Cheerful Charlie

3. Top | #3
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Did a quick-and-dirty isolation in GIMP. JPEG and PNG versions attached. (The PNG has a transparent background.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    Did a quick-and-dirty isolation in GIMP. JPEG and PNG versions attached. (The PNG has a transparent background.)
    WOW, thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Did a quick-and-dirty isolation in GIMP....
    Bravo, bigfield!

I use GIMP sometimes, but am not competent at it. I would appreciate it if you would just mention 3 or 4 of the key clicks you used to achieve this fine result.

6. Top | #6
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Potoooooooo View Post
    WOW, thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!
    You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    Did a quick-and-dirty isolation in GIMP....
    Bravo, bigfield!

I use GIMP sometimes, but am not competent at it. I would appreciate it if you would just mention 3 or 4 of the key clicks you used to achieve this fine result.
    Can do.

1. Added an alpha channel and a transparent background layer so I could use the eraser tools.
    2. I used the bucket fill tool in "color erase" mode to knock out the cream background. This also erased part of the creatures tail and belly.
    3. I used the eraser tool to erase the lettering and used the "anti-erase" mode to restore the parts that weren't supposed to be erased in step 2. I mostly just used a hard round brush, switching between erase and anti-erase modes. (I'm very much a trial-and-error kind of user when it comes to these things.)
    4. Cropped the image and exported it.

This technique doesn't stand up to close scrutiny, which is why it's "quick-and-dirty".

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Thanks, bigfield! Erasing backgrounds is something I often attempt, but it takes me a long while, and the results are much worse than yours.

One of several problems I've had is ignorance. For example, I was completely unaware of the Eraser's Anti-Erase mode! (I was also unaware of Bucket-fill's Color-Erase mode: I accomplished this with a silly 2-step process.)

I knew that there were powerful GIMP features "hiding" from me. Your post should help guide me to progress!

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Thanks, bigfield! Erasing backgrounds is something I often attempt, but it takes me a long while, and the results are much worse than yours.

One of several problems I've had is ignorance. For example, I was completely unaware of the Eraser's Anti-Erase mode! (I was also unaware of Bucket-fill's Color-Erase mode: I accomplished this with a silly 2-step process.)

I knew that there were powerful GIMP features "hiding" from me. Your post should help guide me to progress!
    I would recommend looking up alpha masks. You apply them to layers and function like a single "color" whose value is "visibility of everything else on the layer". You can paint it in and out of existence with any brush, assuming you are painting to the alpha layer only.

9. Top | #9
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post

I would recommend looking up alpha masks. You apply them to layers and function like a single "color" whose value is "visibility of everything else on the layer". You can paint it in and out of existence with any brush, assuming you are painting to the alpha layer only.
    Ah, nice one.
    In GIMP that's called Quick Mask (Shift+Q, or found under the Select menu).

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Going to turn this into a general "request for help" thread.

Can anyone tell me where to find those bits and pieces you can delete when your PC starts to slow down?

(Time was I knew where at least the cookies were, but you forget the things you don't use often.)