Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: there are two main philosophies in life

1. Top | #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by no-one-particular View Post
    ...all men are equal and deserve equal pay for equal work
    This is problematic because (as @Treedbear noted) its not necessarily true that every worker equally needs the same pay.
    And because the person buying - paying for - that worker's labor ought to have an option to decide whose labor they prefer.
    Excuse me but where did I state any opinion on whether every worker equally needs the same pay? You might have someone else in mind. I actually haven't formulated an argument either way, mainly because it would imply there's some legal means to enforce it. The best we can do so far is having anti-discrimination laws. But those only work for larger companies where patterns of behavior can be established.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion IRC View Post
    The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’

“But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’
    See Matthew 20:9:15
    That landowner wasn't doing himself any favors. What happened the next day? How many workers showed up early for the same pay they could have expected by showing up late? One interpretation of the parable is that God provides for his people's needs simply out of his generosity without regard for any works they perform. But employers aren't God, and they tend not to act with such magnanimous generosity. That's why we need government that will step in an provide for basic needs. Whether someone shows up for work early in the morning or at 5 in the afternoon.

2. Top | #52
    Archived
    Total Posts
    https://leanin.org/equal-pay-data-ab...SABEgKdPPD_BwE

The wage gap between women and men still stubbornly remains. And for black women, and Hispanic women, it is even worse. We get a lot of "Taxation is theft!" crap from the far right, but yet this wage theft caused by systematic misogyny and racism is acceptable to the right. Our right winged politicians in Washington, many of them loudly Christian and religious, playing to a largely Christian right wing base have never bothered to address any of this open wage theft.
    Cheerful Charlie

3. Top | #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    ...where did I state any opinion on whether every worker equally needs the same pay?
    Where did I actually state that you held a particular opinion?

My take on your post here was that its not necessarily true that every worker needs or deserves equal pay even if there were some theoretical entitlement.

depends on the context....no moral absolutes...hybrid system...etc etc

4. Top | #54
    And its NOT necessarily true that two workers - even if they are theoretically performing identical work - deserve the exact same payment. Their cost of living might be substantially different and so in REAL terms the effect/result of paying them the same amount would be unfair outcomes.

Worker A lives in Sydney where rents are high.
    Worker B lives in New York where rents are low.

Why should worker B expect the same wage as someone living in Sydney?

5. Top | #55
    A pizza parlor waitress asks a customer if he wants the pizza cut into four pieces or six pieces or eight pieces. The customer then declares that he wants either four or six pieces of pizza “because I can’t eat eight.” Of course, the size of the pie is unchanged; the eight slices are merely smaller.
    There is no such thing as moral or immoral behavior. Only civilized and uncivilized behavior. Civilized laws are laws that do not give any one person or any one group of people any special rights above what all others have. The more a society treats everyone as equals the more civilized it is.

6. Top | #56