Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Thread: Is Georgia on your mind?

1. Top | #471
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    WaPo won't let me read the link without subscribing.

What I'm seeing in your post is the power elite letting a government body know that they are in charge and not the government. CEOs are deciding this, as usual.

It's great that they're behaving ethically for once. But I don't like the concept of unelected officials telling the government what to do.

OR ELSE...
    Tom
    You want unfettered capitalism, you get unfettered capitalism.

You don't like the consequences of unfettered capitalism, vote differently.

2. Top | #472
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I don't know. After all, SCOTUS said that corporations are people and people certainly have the right to speak out against something the government does that they feel is unjust. I guess you can look at it in different ways.

Of course, corporations will always speak out when they believe that something will hurt their profits. Their employees and customers support the right of the people to vote, so I guess they had to do what they believed was in their best interests. Again, the highest court in our country had decided that corporations are people......

3. Top | #473
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Now, movie production has been a huge thing in Georgia, but now due to the new voting law, some of it is pulling out.

https://www.ajc.com/life/radiotvtalk...FVR2HWQK5TPS4/

A movie starring Will Smith is pulling out of Georgia, citing the Georgia voting law that Gov. Brian Kemp recently signed.

Smith and director Antoine Fuqua released a statement to Deadline: “At this moment in time, the Nation is coming to terms with its history and is attempting to eliminate vestiges of institutional racism to achieve true racial justice. We cannot in good conscience provide economic support to a government that enacts regressive voting laws that are designed to restrict voter access. The new Georgia voting laws are reminiscent of voting impediments that were passed at the end of Reconstruction to prevent many Americans from voting. Regrettably, we feel compelled to move our film production work from Georgia to another state.”

The subject matter of the film may have made the optics of shooting in Georgia especially problematic.
    The movie is based on a true story about a run away slave that joins the Union Army.

4. Top | #474
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
    WaPo won't let me read the link without subscribing.

What I'm seeing in your post is the power elite letting a government body know that they are in charge and not the government. CEOs are deciding this, as usual.

It's great that they're behaving ethically for once. But I don't like the concept of unelected officials telling the government what to do.

OR ELSE...
    Tom
    You want unfettered capitalism, you get unfettered capitalism.

You don't like the consequences of unfettered capitalism, vote differently.
    I vote straight ticket Democrat. I've said so many times on TFT.

Got a better plan? If so I'd love to hear it. I don't much care for the Democrats.
    Tom

5. Top | #475
    Archived
    Total Posts
    [I vote straight ticket Democrat. I've said so many times on TFT.
    Even if one is a yellow-dog Democrat, there's a place where one's vote can be meaningful: the primaries.

6. Top | #476
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I vote straight ticket Democrat. I've said so many times on TFT.

Got a better plan? If so I'd love to hear it. I don't much care for the Democrats.
    Tom
    Stop voting for people and start voting for ideas, maybe? To use an extremely simplified example, your vote in the last election could have been between whether or not you want to see more protesters gassed for photo ops. In that scenario, the people on the ticket are largely incidental.

7. Top | #477
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Even if one is a yellow-dog Democrat, there's a place where one's vote can be meaningful: the primaries.
    Nitpick: I'm no expert on such terminology, but do you mean blue-dog Democrat? (Not to be confused with Blue-Collar Caucus Democrat.) The yellow-dog Ds are extinct, I think.

8. Top | #478
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Nitpick: I'm no expert on such terminology, but do you mean blue-dog Democrat? (Not to be confused with Blue-Collar Caucus Democrat.) The yellow-dog Ds are extinct, I think.
    Bunch of racists, y'all.

9. Top | #479
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A yellow-dog Democrat is someone who will vote for any yellow dog of a politician who just so happens to be a Democrat.

Some people jokingly call themselves "yellow-dog Republicans", with a very similar meaning.

10. Top | #480
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Now, movie production has been a huge thing in Georgia, but now due to the new voting law, some of it is pulling out.

https://www.ajc.com/life/radiotvtalk...FVR2HWQK5TPS4/

A movie starring Will Smith is pulling out of Georgia, citing the Georgia voting law that Gov. Brian Kemp recently signed.

Smith and director Antoine Fuqua released a statement to Deadline: “At this moment in time, the Nation is coming to terms with its history and is attempting to eliminate vestiges of institutional racism to achieve true racial justice. We cannot in good conscience provide economic support to a government that enacts regressive voting laws that are designed to restrict voter access. The new Georgia voting laws are reminiscent of voting impediments that were passed at the end of Reconstruction to prevent many Americans from voting. Regrettably, we feel compelled to move our film production work from Georgia to another state.”

The subject matter of the film may have made the optics of shooting in Georgia especially problematic.
    The movie is based on a true story about a run away slave that joins the Union Army.
    The good news is that Jon Voight is coming to the rescue. Okay, that might be Fake News.