Thread: Is Georgia on your mind?

1. Top | #481
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    [I vote straight ticket Democrat. I've said so many times on TFT.
    Even if one is a yellow-dog Democrat, there's a place where one's vote can be meaningful: the primaries.
    Nitpick: I'm no expert on such terminology, but do you mean blue-dog Democrat? (Not to be confused with Blue-Collar Caucus Democrat.) The yellow-dog Ds are extinct, I think.
    Blue Dogs are the conservative on some things Democrats. They were declared officially extinct in the House of Representatives after the 2010 election. They are labeled as "extremely endangered" in the Senate by the Department of Wildlife.

2. Top | #482
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post

Nitpick: I'm no expert on such terminology, but do you mean blue-dog Democrat? (Not to be confused with Blue-Collar Caucus Democrat.) The yellow-dog Ds are extinct, I think.
    Blue Dogs are the conservative on some things Democrats. They were declared officially extinct in the House of Representatives after the 2010 election. They are labeled as "extremely endangered" in the Senate by the Department of Wildlife.
    Look, I don't wanna know about the breeding program ok.

Keep that shit under wraps. Or, in a zoo.

3. Top | #483
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    I vote straight ticket Democrat. I've said so many times on TFT.

Got a better plan? If so I'd love to hear it. I don't much care for the Democrats.
    Tom
    Stop voting for people and start voting for ideas, maybe? To use an extremely simplified example, your vote in the last election could have been between whether or not you want to see more protesters gassed for photo ops. In that scenario, the people on the ticket are largely incidental.
    I do. That's exactly how I vote.

They're just much bigger ideas than your example.

Here's my example:

By the end of the Bush II administration I was not voting for another Republican presidential candidate. But I wasn't supporting yet another Bush/Clinton candidate either. Having the same two families toss the presidency back and forth is called "oligarchy", even if we aren't Honduras or whatever. I couldn't stomach another Bush/Clinton presidency, so I supported a black youngster from Chicago, mostly just because he was neither a Republican nor a Clinton.

With the clarity of hindsight, I wish I'd supported a Clinton/Obama ticket in 2008. Godzillary was the kind of experienced bitch who could have gotten stuff like UHC passed. As opposed to Obama's bipartisan "Republican Healthcare reform", which the Republicans opposed anyway.

But, hindsight is 20/20, and I backed the wrong ideas in 2008. I believe that now. Which is why I didn't support Sanders in 2016 or 2020. I saw him as another Obama, well intentioned, but ineffective. I'm confident that Godzillary could have accomplished more of Sanders platform than Sanders could and so can Biden. I support Sanders' platform, I just don't think he can do it.

With a bit of luck, the Democrats will work on preparing a new crop of leaders. The Republicans seem intent on building their plans on voter suppression and constitutional technicalities, rather than good ideas for the country.
    Tom

4. Top | #484
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    [I vote straight ticket Democrat. I've said so many times on TFT.
    Even if one is a yellow-dog Democrat, there's a place where one's vote can be meaningful: the primaries.
    A yellow-dog Democrat is someone who will vote for a Democrat no matter what, even if they field a yellow dog as their candidate.