Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Georgia on your mind?

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Is Georgia on your mind?

I just subscribed to the AJC for six months, so I look for information regarding the upcoming run off elections. I will try to share anything interesting that I find.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/politic...MQVBTSKQSS2NA/

The voting rights group founded by Stacey Abrams is pumping $2.7 million to boost the work of a network of grassroots organizations ahead of the Jan. 5 runoffs – not to finance more TV ads but to strengthen their get-out-the-vote apparatus.

Fair Fight announced Saturday it was contributing to 13 groups to “build the infrastructure to ensure voters are empowered and informed” said Fair Fight senior adviser Lauren Groh Wargo.
    If anybody can get out the vote, it's Stacey.

Abrams helped raise more than $10 million to boost Senate Democratic candidates Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock in the opening days of the runoff, and a gusher of money is being spent on the push to oust or defend U.S. Sens. Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue.
    I've seen posters on the NYTimes and WaPo websites say they will or have been sending money to Warnock and Ossoff, but imo, it's more helpful to support Fair Fight. If you can't get out the vote, giving money to candidates isn't going to help.

Already we are being constantly blasted with ads from all 4 candidates, but Warnock and Ossoff seem to have the most frequent ads. I've even seen some on CNBC, which was surprising to me. Right now, I'm watching an add for Ossoff, which is blasting Purdue for things he said about the virus. This was immediately followed by an ad by Warnock. These were on MSNBC, which seems like preaching to the choir. But, hey. If they have the money.....Still, I doubt that these ads are what matters as much as efforts to get out the vote.

My hope is that Stacey will once again be successful in getting out the vote, but in the past, Democrats haven't been reliable voters in run off elections so she certainly has her work cut out for her.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    https://www.ajc.com/politics/breakin...KO2OPSYFHHMSY/

U.S. Sen. Kelly Loeffler’s campaign said Saturday she is self-isolating after she tested positive for the coronavirus and later received an inconclusive result.

It’s not yet known how the diagnosis will affect her campaign schedule ahead of a nationally-watched Jan. 5 runoff, one of two Georgia races that will determine control of the U.S. Senate.

Nor is it immediately clear whether Vice President Mike Pence or U.S. Sen. David Perdue, whom she campaigned with on Friday, would have to quarantine. The three appeared together, without wearing masks, at two outdoor rallies in north Georgia.
    Perhaps this will keep her off the campaign trail for a couple of weeks.

I also heard a commentator claim that about 100,000 Republicans in Georgia voted for Biden instead of Trump. Considering that there were a couple of Republicans for Biden signs in my neighborhood, this might be true. The concern is that these same voters won't vote for the two Democrats in the Senate runoff. That is probably likely. Some Republicans have found Trump repulsive but they are still sticking with other Republican candidates.

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    I just subscribed to the AJC for six months, so I look for information regarding the upcoming run off elections. I will try to share anything interesting that I find.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/politic...MQVBTSKQSS2NA/

The voting rights group founded by Stacey Abrams is pumping $2.7 million to boost the work of a network of grassroots organizations ahead of the Jan. 5 runoffs – not to finance more TV ads but to strengthen their get-out-the-vote apparatus.

Fair Fight announced Saturday it was contributing to 13 groups to “build the infrastructure to ensure voters are empowered and informed” said Fair Fight senior adviser Lauren Groh Wargo.
    If anybody can get out the vote, it's Stacey.
    Boots, she understands boots. That got Biden Georgia (well that and a Libertarian who finally impacted an election!).

I've seen posters on the NYTimes and WaPo websites say they will or have been sending money to Warnock and Ossoff, but imo, it's more helpful to support Fair Fight. If you can't get out the vote, giving money to candidates isn't going to help.
    Yeah, she gets what is require to turnout votes.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Perhaps this will keep her off the campaign trail for a couple of weeks.
    It might be a fake, to keep her from having to answer for her abhorrent behavior.

5. Top | #5
    You and lots of other people obviously have a high opinion of Stacey Abrams. Does she have an opinion on popular election of the POTUS?
    Tom

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    You and lots of other people obviously have a high opinion of Stacey Abrams. Does she have an opinion on popular election of the POTUS?
    Tom
    Google is your friend:

Abrams, Feb. 17: [The Electoral College] is a classist, racist system whose time has passed and we need to get rid of it.

Joy Behar: But it’s going to be very hard to do, especially with Republicans in power.

Abrams: And I want to be clear, I’ve been opposed to the Electoral College for a very long time. I introduced legislation when I was in the state legislature. I co-sponsored it with a Republican to eliminate the Electoral College and to do the national popular vote. Because I don’t care if it’s a Democrat or a Republican, I’m an American and my voice should count and my vote should count and I don’t need anyone to intercede.

Behar: It requires an amendment though, it’s a big deal.

Abrams: It does. It does. Although the National Popular Vote movement, what that would do is get each state to agree to just cast their electors based on the national vote, so we can basically jerry-rig the system and go around the Constitution. I would prefer we actually fix it at the source but, you know, I don’t have that kind of time.

7. Top | #7

Abrams: It does. It does.
    OK.
    Abrams isn't very well informed.

Good to know.
    Tom

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post

Abrams: It does. It does.
    OK.
    Abrams isn't very well informed.

Good to know.
    Tom
    Oh really? What do you know about it that she doesn't?

It does. It does.

You are the one who appears uninformed, Tom.

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Abrams
    so we can basically jerry-rig the system and go around the Constitution.
    Is Stacey an antigermanite?

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Abrams
    so we can basically jerry-rig the system and go around the Constitution.
    Is Stacey an antigermanite?
    What did you expect her to say - "nigger-rig"?