Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkeypocalypse 2020 - What are your plans?

1. Top | #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    What's your plan for the turkeypocalypse?
    It being just me I hadn't thought about it until you asked. Over the past week I've watched 3 different versions of the Pilgrim's story and the one thing they all agree on is that the first Thanksgiving never occurred in any way similar to the version promoted since the Civil War. It's the story of a train wreck. They chose to settle on the site of a former Indian village that even the local tribes would avoid since it was littered with the bones of the last to die from the plague that had come from across the sea and had about run its course. After a treacherous voyage, on which half the passengers were the Separatists, or Saints (aka pilgrims), and the other half the "Strangers", both groups speaking various dialects, they disembarked at the beginning of a brutal winter in which half of them died of exposure. But ... I figure it should be commemorated, if for no other reason than that we presently seem to share in their hopeful yet somewhat desperate outlook for the future. So I looked in my freezer and found a boneless 1.5 pound half turkey breast that has a January '19 date on it. Might as well put it out of its misery. If you don't hear from me too soon you'll know why.
    Also we should all be having unagi and venison, not turkey and mashed potatoes!

2. Top | #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Right now the venison is out in my yard lunching on the shrubbery. But Japanese eel?

3. Top | #13
    Right now the venison is out in my yard lunching on the shrubbery. But Japanese eel?
    Well, it should really be American eel, haha. But you know what I mean.

Without the Wampanoag there, it would have JUST been berries and clams and so forth; it's said they brought the deer.

4. Top | #14

Without the Wampanoag there, it would have JUST been berries and clams and so forth; it's said they brought the deer.
    Yes, I heard there were actually three times more Indians than settlers and that they brought 6 deer. Also Squanto was there teaching them how to grow corn, beans and squash (the Three Sisters). Thanks to them it was a bountiful harvest. They were also able to catch striped bass. It seems to me there would have been an abundance of fish, oysters and clams as well as lobster too. Somehow they got a tremendous amount done that first year.

5. Top | #15

Yes, I heard there were actually three times more Indians than settlers and that they brought 6 deer. Also Squanto was there teaching them how to grow corn, beans and squash (the Three Sisters). Thanks to them it was a bountiful harvest. They were also able to catch striped bass. It seems to me there would have been an abundance of fish, oysters and clams as well as lobster too. Somehow they got a tremendous amount done that first year.
    That's a slight exaggeration, it was 2-1. But yes, the Wampanoag delegation was larger and seems to have brought more of the food.

As for their relative industry, they knew they had to - the New England winter is long and harsh without modern technology, and they had learned this the hard way during their first wintering. My own Pilgrim ancestors, the Fullers, died aboard the Mayflower in 1620, never even having so much as disembarked. Luckily their son survived to carry on my line, or you would be deprived of my excellent company.

6. Top | #16
    ... My own Pilgrim ancestors, the Fullers, died aboard the Mayflower in 1620, never even having so much as disembarked. Luckily their son survived to carry on my line, or you would be deprived of my excellent company.
    I wish I had that kind of connection with my ancestors. It's good to know where you came from. No wonder that you became a cultural anthropologist. As you quote: “The truth about stories is that that's all we are.” You've got a 400 year old bookend.

7. Top | #17
    ... My own Pilgrim ancestors, the Fullers, died aboard the Mayflower in 1620, never even having so much as disembarked. Luckily their son survived to carry on my line, or you would be deprived of my excellent company.
    I wish I had that kind of connection with my ancestors. It's good to know where you came from. No wonder that you became a cultural anthropologist. As you quote: “The truth about stories is that that's all we are.” You've got a 400 year old bookend.
    Just so! You might have more geneaological connections than you realize, most people do if they start looking into it. Humanity is both a larger and a smaller collective organism than we imagine it to be.

8. Top | #18
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Turkey is in the oven. Should be ready in 1.5 to 2 hours.
    The Authoritarians

Donald Trump was the fat line of coke conservatives snorted, thinking it would boost their energy and weight loss. Now they're waking up in a cheap motel room, picking at their scabs and denying that they have a problem.

9. Top | #19
    Hey! Don't forget to check the turkey!

10. Top | #20
    Intergalactic Villainess Angry Floof's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Hey! Don't forget to check the turkey!
    It's already half eaten. How's your Turkeypocalypse going?
    The Authoritarians

Donald Trump was the fat line of coke conservatives snorted, thinking it would boost their energy and weight loss. Now they're waking up in a cheap motel room, picking at their scabs and denying that they have a problem.