Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the Bible forbid homosexuality and abortion?

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Does the Bible forbid homosexuality and abortion?

I was provoked to post this on account of The Bible Actually Permits Abortion and Condemns Homosexuality • Richard Carrier
    There are two common modern myths about the Bible, one conservative, the other liberal. The liberal myth is that the Bible never condemns homosexuality. In fact it clearly does, both in the Old Testament and the New. The conservative myth is that the Bible condemns abortion as murder. In fact it clearly does not—it classifies it as a mere property crime against the expectant father, and thus as written would permit a mother to have a legal abortion merely by paying a small fee to the father thereby dispossessed, and a small tax to the public. Which is sexist. But it’s still not murder. Here I’ll lay out the refutation of both myths so you can just point people here whenever they make either claim at you again.
    He then goes into detail about these misconceptions.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When did abortion become an issue with Christian conservatives? Did it historically differ between Protestants and Catholics?

3. Top | #3
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    Did it historically differ between Protestants and Catholics?
    It was definitely considered a "Catholic issue" in my country, before Roe v. Wade and the rise of the so-called Christian Right. The Mother Church has always firmly rejected abortion, even before there was such a thing as a Roman Catholic; it is condemned in the Didache and many other very early works.

4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Did it historically differ between Protestants and Catholics?
    It was definitely considered a "Catholic issue" in my country, before Roe V. Wade and the rise of the so-called Christian Right.
    Yeah, only the later doctrine, the gospel of mammon, chapter two verse four of "Make lots of babies and give us all your money" forbade abortions and birth control of any kind. They used the "Onan" text to justify the orthodoxy. Oh, and there goes fapping, too~

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I had to look up 'fapping'. Fappin', folks, is masturbatin'. Somehow it just doesn't sound like a slang term for that. Unless actual circus clowns are doing it as part of their act in, admittedly, a strange circus. Clowns fap. Other people masturbate.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    I had to look up 'fapping'. Fappin', folks, is masturbatin'. Somehow it just doesn't sound like a slang term for that. Unless actual circus clowns are doing it as part of their act in, admittedly, a strange circus. Clowns fap. Other people masturbate.
    It's an onomatopoeia which I'm pretty sure is just internet slang ... :fap:fap:fap:fap:

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Oh God.

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So you know, everyone under the age of 40 knows that term, in general.

9. Top | #9
    I didn't realize it was such rare slang. Why, what do old people call it when they're choking the chicken?

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    When did abortion become an issue with Christian conservatives? Did it historically differ between Protestants and Catholics?

The ‘biblical view’ that’s younger than the Happy Meal

In 1979, McDonald’s introduced the Happy Meal.

Sometime after that, it was decided that the Bible teaches that human life begins at conception.
    A handful of powerful evangelicals decided in the 1970s that the fetus had a soul, and it became heresy to suggest otherwise.

By the time of the 1988 elections, everyone in American evangelicalism was wholly opposed to legal abortion and everyone in American evangelicalism was pretending that this had always been the case.

We have always been at war with Eastasia. Everyone knows that.