Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2024?

1. Top | #141
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    McCarthy went to speak with Trump in person.

Anyone who thinks Trump is done hasn't been paying attention. 2016 was a wake up call. The number of votes he received while running against a stalwart moderate Democrat was another wake up call. His insurrection going unpunished by the GOP was another. Trump isn't done. The GOP just won't make it happen. At the moment, Trump is the only position the right-wing appears to care about.

And unlike the Neocons, the world really does seem to operate different for Trump.
    Beating an uncharismatic woman with a ton of baggage on her back was no great feat.

What was big was crushing all the Republican candidates and showing the real thinking of Republican voters.

Republican politicians have been lying and distorting and playing to meaningless wedge issues for so long they have created an insane constituency.

Trump supporters are untethered from reality.

But Trump didn't untie the rope.

2. Top | #142
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    Trump redux? He'll be an even fatter, slower 78-year-old. (I know, here's Uncle Joe, he's movin' kinda slow, at the junction. I get it.)
    I'm an optimist, and I keep thinking that Trump's constant state of rage will manifest in a major stroke, which will incapacitate him from doing the continual damage to the country that he does every stinking day of his life.
    Good news: I think you're right. By 2024 Trump will be too indicted, too infirm, or too deranged to run.
    Bad news: Trump has transformed the GOP. Whoever they DO run will be just as evil, but more competent (and hence more dangerous) than the Orange Buffoon.

Worse news: In the near-term expect GOP electoral successes. Neither Harris nor a very old Biden will be a good candidate. Even if the D's win on points, expect R governors (or Scotus by a 5-4 vote) to award close elections to the R's.
    There's a boulder of truth in what you say. But...there's always the charisma factor in American politics. Our voters often make a shallow decision based on the impact of personality. Someone could come up from either party who will carry the field with an appealing or compelling presence. Who was talking about Obama in '04? He didn't come across as a major player until the '08 primary season. I agree with your comment about Harris and Biden, but there's always the factor of the unemerged champion. On the Repub side, they don't right now have an obvious replacement for the Skidmark, especially someone who could drag some independents into the ranks.
    It's still way too close for comfort. That Trump, after letting covid overrun the country, could still get 46% of the electorate to endorse him for a second term, makes me despair for our long-term stability as a nation. (Forget covid, his birtherism beginning around 2011 should've branded him as a thoroughly unacceptable and contemptible liar and lout.)

3. Top | #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    Trump redux? He'll be an even fatter, slower 78-year-old. (I know, here's Uncle Joe, he's movin' kinda slow, at the junction. I get it.)
    I'm an optimist, and I keep thinking that Trump's constant state of rage will manifest in a major stroke, which will incapacitate him from doing the continual damage to the country that he does every stinking day of his life.
    Good news: I think you're right. By 2024 Trump will be too indicted, too infirm, or too deranged to run.
    If he's alive at all, he'll be the Tweet behind the throne of anyone who does run.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

4. Top | #144
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Kingmaker not making kings again.
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    Voters in North Texas delivered an upset Tuesday, picking GOP state Rep. Jake Ellzey to fill a vacant House seat over a candidate endorsed by former President Donald Trump.

Ellzey beat fellow Republican Susan Wright, the widow of former Rep. Ron Wright, 53 percent to 47 percent, when the Associated Press called the low-turnout, Republican-vs.-Republican runoff. Though Ellzey was better funded, Wright leaned heavily on her backing from the former president, who often plays kingmaker in Republican primaries.

Trump crashed into the race during the first round of voting in May, tapping Wright out of a crowded all-party primary and turning the contest into an early test of his post-presidency clout. He held two tele-town halls for her and taped a robocall for her, making the loss more painful.
    Trump seems to really excite Trump voters, but only if Trump is running. Elizey was supported locally by the GOP machine, which again shows that when the GOP wants what they want, they usually can get it. So why they are still providing a life line to Trump is beyond my imagination.

Meanwhile, in the AG race in Texas between scandal plagued Paxton and Jeb Bush's son George (we have no other ideas for names) Bush, Georgie was tossing Trump's salad like crazy like a gutless coward. And Trump came out and backed Paxton. I'm not even certain Trump knows what he is doing.

Meanwhilewhile, in Georgia, Trump's favorite black guy, Herschel Walker, who Trump nominated to run for Senate, has been getting a bit more under the microscope and people read his book... and allegations against him, which is really making a run for US Senate hard. Almost as hard as the fact he doesn't live in Georgia... something Georgians care a bit about.

5. Top | #145
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In a run off election in Texas, the Trump backed candidate was defeated. Turn out was light. If in a red district in a red state, Trump was not a decisive factor in an election, he is not going to be a big electoral king maker as some think.
    Cheerful Charlie

6. Top | #146
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    he is not going to be a big electoral king maker as some think.
    Not with voters.
    WHich is why so many legislatures are moving to take direct control of who the electoral votes go to, regardless of the actual voting.

7. Top | #147
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In a run off election in Texas, the Trump backed candidate was defeated. Turn out was light. If in a red district in a red state, Trump was not a decisive factor in an election, he is not going to be a big electoral king maker as some think.
    His coat tails are nonexistent. Red hats are willing to storm the Capitol for (and only for) Trump. But his significance, as far as the GOP Is concerned, isn't minor.

8. Top | #148
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    His coat tails are nonexistent. Red hats are willing to storm the Capitol for (and only for) Trump. But his significance, as far as the GOP Is concerned, isn't minor.
    He's like one of those wrestlers, those guys have a definite following. Orange even gets introduced in his rallies similarly because his fans love it. I'd keep milking that cash cow too.

But among non wrestling fans he isn't riding as high. So sure, he has a following, but not enough to win in 2024.

9. Top | #149
    Archived
    Total Posts
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...the-country-if

A majority of Americans in a new poll think it would be bad for the country if former President Trump runs for office in 2024.

The survey, conducted by Quinnipiac University, found that 60 percent of respondents said it would be bad for the country if Trump were to launch a bid for president in 2024.
    Thirty-two percent of respondents, however, said another Trump campaign would be good for the country.

Only 32% want Trump. Sounds like a recipe for political failure. The 2024 GOP primaries are going to be fun.
    Cheerful Charlie

10. Top | #150
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A majority of Americans in a new poll think it would be bad for the country if former President Trump runs for office in 2024.
    Always been the case.