Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linuxhead sees Windows for the first time in more than 10 years.

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Fixing unfixable is, by definition, impossible and waste of time. Replacing sound card with something which is supported is usually possible and easy.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    I don't understand, you say you don't need a webcam and yet complain it's hard to configure.
    Usually you don't need to configure anything. Skype for example, will let you choose which camera, microphone and audio out to use, same with browsers.
    What I mean is I plan to have a minimal hardened basic server set up to run my Xen hypervisor. I plan to eliminate everything else not essential to that task. No Xorg, No GUI, Nothing but Xen and security. All real work will be in a VM with a tailor made set up in these to do what I need to do. For example a simple system for internet surfing with access to the net, with full jails for all apps. A VM that I can set up simply for media, and web cams. Simple OS meant to run Kodi for example. I have 32 gigs of memory and 8 cores, so I might as well learn to use them. Rolling distros all the way with backup, rollback and security.
    Cheerful Charlie

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    I don't understand, you say you don't need a webcam and yet complain it's hard to configure.
    Usually you don't need to configure anything. Skype for example, will let you choose which camera, microphone and audio out to use, same with browsers.
    What I mean is I plan to have a minimal hardened basic server set up to run my Xen hypervisor. I plan to eliminate everything else not essential to that task. No Xorg, No GUI, Nothing but Xen and security. All real work will be in a VM with a tailor made set up in these to do what I need to do. For example a simple system for internet surfing with access to the net, with full jails for all apps. A VM that I can set up simply for media, and web cams. Simple OS meant to run Kodi for example. I have 32 gigs of memory and 8 cores, so I might as well learn to use them. Rolling distros all the way with backup, rollback and security.
    Looks to me that you do all of that just for fun and yet complain about it.
    Still, don't understand how webcam and your VM zoo are related.
    Last edited by barbos; 12-02-2020 at 04:39 AM.

4. Top | #14
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Fixing unfixable is, by definition, impossible and waste of time.
    This is some wise wisdom.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Looks to me that you do all of that just for fun and yet complain about it.
    Still, don't understand how webcam and your VM zoo are related.
    The base OS is for the Xen hypervisor only. I will not want any thing like a web cam in there anyway. in a VM, I can download a simplified system that supports a web cam without the big problems. No complicated systemd, no convoluted spaghetti software. This is a new Logictech web camera so it should work,. Kodi is a media centric system and I should be able to do anything with that. I will not really need a complex DE like KDE with it's addition of mystery software that might be a problem. A base OS without systemd. Simplify, simplify! And it is in a safe VM far, far away from my base OS.
    Cheerful Charlie

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I am not aware of systemd involvement specifically with cameras.
    I know systemd has or rather had a lot of detractors who say it is too pervasive and complicated but, in practice, it works great and one just does not notice it.
    Also, running VM just for one or two specific applications which are available for host OS for security reasons is an overkill. There is apparmor for that, which is ON by default.
    VMs are for quick deployment and managing whole OSes with everything in them.
    Also, running graphics intensive programs in VM could have sometimes large overhead.
    Graphics is emulated with different degrees of hardware assistance. But with 32G of memory I presume you have very modern system.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I really need to learn how to speak to elderly women about computers.
    Was asked to "repair" broken windows today by one. It's hard to work when she asks every two minutes "How it's going?"
    Boot manager somehow got broken. Before I could fix it she lost patience and decided to bring to official shop where they it turns out would simply make clean install of unlicensed windows. I could have done the same thing much faster and for free. But it's too late for that.

Google says improper shutdown and viruses can screw up boot manager partition. I can believe viruses but improper shutdown? seriously?

8. Top | #18
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I checked, TrueType is ON, but it looks crappy, I managed to make it look it better in the settings but it is still not as good as kubuntu.
    17G is still 17G and VMware recommended 60G. My drive was not exactly empty before this experiment.
    Probably need your video driver updated. It will probably do it automatically if you have updates turned on. Windows isn't completely installed until after the first big update.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    I checked, TrueType is ON, but it looks crappy, I managed to make it look it better in the settings but it is still not as good as kubuntu.
    17G is still 17G and VMware recommended 60G. My drive was not exactly empty before this experiment.
    Probably need your video driver updated. It will probably do it automatically if you have updates turned on. Windows isn't completely installed until after the first big update.
    Video driver has nothing to do with that. And as I said, it does anti aliasing but it's just trying to use sharp fonts way too aggressively compared to kubuntu.