Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What were the 70s and 80s like for you?

1. Top | #21
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In 1963 I was in the fourth grade at a Catholic school. The nuns cried when JFK died. They even had the news on the PA.In 1968 I stayed up to see RFK win California,went to bed before he was shot.Went collage in '70,met some Vietnam Vets,who took me in and "woke" me up.Smoked a lot of shit pot,drank a lot of shit beer."72 started machinist apprenticeship. Worked the trade till "79,got married, moved to Alaska. Music:Still think '70 's & 80's had the best.

2. Top | #22
    Archived
    Total Posts
    One more thing about the '60's.Every dad,and some moms were WWII vets in my hood and at school.

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bleubird View Post
    One more thing about the '60's.Every dad,and some moms were WWII vets in my hood and at school.
    I was born in 1961 and my dad was only 9 years old when WWII finished. He only hardly knew his dad. He died in 1942 when as skipper of a. US submarine he was depth charged and was sunk in the Pacific.

4. Top | #24
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I have fond memories of TV (mostly cartoons), movies, music, toys (Lego, Masters of the Universe, Transformers). Though I was about the only guy I knew who had Lego. Well I knew a guy that had this set:

In primary school I had at least 4 (4.5 volt) motors... I was a bit jealous of the Transformers and Masters of the Universe my friends had.... one of my friends had the 6 figure "Devastator": In my 20's I eventually got one (a cheap knock-off).

Sometimes I'd fantasize about some MOTU figures that I'd never seen in real life: I liked the colors...

I was a big fan of the Commodore 64 and my school had a lot and my friends had them too... the programs I wrote were from books and normally were very short (e.g. less than 5 lines).

In primary school my friends watched Porky's and violent movies. In about grade 3 a lot of boys went to watch Rambo 2 at a guy's house. I was a bit traumatized from this torture scene:

My favorite movies included Gremlins, Ghostbusters and Back to the Future

5. Top | #25
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I was born in 1984 so not much. Just soiling myself and breastfeeding until I was weened and toilet trained. Sometime afterwards I was being taught to speak.

Edit: Hey, excreationist. Have you ever watched Netflix’s Toys That Made Us?

6. Top | #26
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Most of the 1970's are a blur even though I graduated from HS in 1981. I guess I was just too into playing, girls and some music to notice much else. We had 5 channels on TV. One of the things I liked about our rare trips to NE was all the channels grandma had on her TV. The Vietnam war was just something that didn't come up much at all once it was over. My dad served in WWII, and liked to dwell on 'hey this show is good history of XYZ from WWII'. He was an old fashioned economic conservative. But he seemed distant to the Vietnam war. I remember those liberals pushing "it's a sin to build a nuclear weapon" and found it weird. One time I brought up checking out the Air Force's ROTC program to help pay for college, and boy did my dad's very rare temper flare...oky doky, don't talk about that again. Decades later, I warned my dad that if Bomb Bomb Iran McCain won and got his way, we could end up with a draft, and we would literally be willing to leave the country to protect our son. And I made him answer if such a war would be worth drafting his grandson. He agreed that it wouldn't. Ironically, one of my dad's stories was of his 2 Iranian college friends (they went back to Iran when done), which told him that the US was foolish to get involved in the crazy shit of the middle east. My mom played the part of Harriot (Ozzy and Harriot) in our family, she was nice but naive of the world. My parents got a VCR a little before I graduated from college.

I grew up liking The Beetles, Queen, ELO, Jethro Tull, Styx, et.al. I wasn't a big fan of disco, but I didn't dislike it. I always thought Queen's 'Hot Space' LP was interesting even though Freddie dipped into what they weren't as a band. Other 70's bands released what I thought were great whole LP's in the 1980's from Wishbone Ash's 'Just Testing" to BOC's "Cultösaurus Erectus". I thought the 1980's had fun with other newish or new bands like Cheap Trick, The Cars, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, to Metallica among others.

Though I enjoyed the Star Wars movie, I was already into Frank Herbert's Dune books, so to me it was nice flash but didn't really stand out. A few years later, I liked Blade Runner more...

I remember my 11th grade math teacher having a TRS-80 in his class, which seemed so WOW. As a freshman in college I took my first programming class in the spring, and had to use punch cards to upload it. The next fall, they handed out a manual for the terminals and dove right into the next programs. We had computers at work when I arrived in 1986, and by 1989 we were using a Sun Microsystems computer to work on technical documentation over a network. By 1994, I was using Mosaic to find things on the internet. By 1996, I was helping to maintain a Radius secure dial in point to work. I also played with OS2 Warp on my first PC at home, when I was allowed to take home the extra memory it needed. Now I would throw out a USB flash drive so friggin small...

7. Top | #27
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    At the risk of sounding cliche' I felt like the late 70's and early 80's were a much freer time. I grew up in Miami with all it's history and diversity. We rode bikes everywhere. As I got older, we had (how do I say this) the best party scene. We had Star Wars and Space Shuttles, Rocky Horror and awesome outdoor concerts. I remember protesting Apartheid in S. Africa. I remember the Mariel Boat Lift and 'race riots' and the fall of the Berlin Wall. I naively thought Reagan was cool and voted for him the first time I ever voted. I thought 'greed WAS good' and that the 86 tax changes was 'an evil Democrat plot' to take our money (yes, I was stupid). As a college drop out and new single Mom in 1986, I started to learn how things really were and my views started shifting. Information age helped my enlightenment a lot.

The 80's put out some good music: REM, The Clash, The Talking Heads, U2, Ultravox, The Smiths.

One thing I do miss about the 80's is that you COULD get somewhere based on intelligence and ability, unions were still common (although not where I grew up - Florida has been a 'right to work' state for a very long time) and college and housing was still affordable. I think young people today, even with all the technology advances, have it MUCH harder than I did. Having low interest rates today doesn't matter if you can't afford to buy anything.

8. Top | #28
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In the mid to late 70's in New York there was a movement towards legalization of marijuana. Getting caught with less than an ounce was a ticket. A small fine.

In 1980 Reagan, who said marijuana was the most dangerous drug in the world, wins and the insane drug war begins.

The 70's was a time of increased freedom. The woman's rights movement begins. You see the beginning of gay rights.

The insane crowd that voted in Reagan were as bad as the people who gave us Trump. They did not like woman having rights and they were anti-gay bigots.

In the 80's you begin to see the militarization of the police as the insane and destructive drug war grows out of control.

The 70's were not bad.

In the 80's you have the rise of the insane right wing, Limbaugh rises to prominence in the late 80's, that has been harmful ever since.

9. Top | #29
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I remember standing guard in school near portrait of Brezhnev after he died
    Everybody thought America would attack Soviet Union.
    I myself was not convinced America even existed. I thought it could be just fiction, nobody I knew has ever been there.

What else? School was a drag especially these celebrations/demonstrations when children had to learn to march in formations. Now, I can't believe how these teachers (99% women) could really believe and more importantly do all that crap without laughing.

10. Top | #30
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    I remember standing guard in school near portrait of Brezhnev after he died
    Everybody thought America would attack Soviet Union.
    I myself was not convinced America even existed. I thought it could be just fiction, nobody I knew has ever been there.

What else? School was a drag especially these celebrations/demonstrations when children had to learn to march in formations. Now, I can't believe how these teachers (99% women) could really believe and more importantly do all that crap without laughing.
    Yeah, everyone in the UK in 1983 thought the US would attack the Soviet Union, or vice versa, probably by mistake, and we would be obliterated in the crossfire. I lived fairly close to the USAF listening station at Menwith Hill, which was expected to be a priority target, so even a limited exchange would have been pretty bad for everyone I knew.

That WWIII really did nearly happen by accident a few times during the 1980s doesn't surprise me, but I am frankly glad I didn't know how close it got. It was worrying enough as it was.