Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medieval Artists Were Really Bad At Drawing Lions

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Besides being untrained artists and bad at it, I suspect none of them had ever seen a lion. I have read that medieval Irish artists were forbidden by religious dogma from realistic art and so purposefully made their figures rather stylized. I do not know if that is true Some of their illuminated manuscripts are truly amazing nonetheless, such as the Book Of Kells. Google images,book of Kells for examples. I am sure if these talented artist had put their mind to it, their portraits could have been far more realistic.

Cheerful Charlie

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    That is an example of one of the better medieval artists but still there is no detail and perspective is piss poor. Showing the better of medieval artists to claim that medieval art was good is a bit of a cheat. Typical medieval art looks pretty much like the student art taped to the wall of grammar-school classrooms.

Jesus:

How do you know Jezus doesnt look like that ?

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Throwing away all art produced during 10 centuries based on a few examples or glorifying the same period based on a few selected works is a bit over the top.
    Medieval art isnt my favourite but produced tremendous art. Jerome Bosh, Memling, Rogier van der Weyde and so many others. And yes, since they never saw a lion or the landscapes of the holy land, one should expect all kinds of weird drawings.

Here just a few examples inclusive the representation of a horse and a flying fish.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    OOPS forgot the fish
    Sorry Jerome
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cycad; 02-13-2021 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Serious hangover affecting my brain

5. Top | #15
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycad View Post
    Throwing away all art produced during 10 centuries based on a few examples or glorifying the same period based on a few selected works is a bit over the top.
    Medieval art isnt my favourite but produced tremendous art. Jerome Bosh, Memling, Rogier van der Weyde and so many others. And yes, since they never saw a lion or the landscapes of the holy land, one should expect all kinds of weird drawings.

Here just a few examples inclusive the representation of a horse and a flying fish.
    Those are examples of early renaissance art (14th to 17th century), not medieval (5th century to the renaissance) art. Indeed, the renaissance produced some amazing work.

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That is an example of one of the better medieval artists but still there is no detail and perspective is piss poor. Showing the better of medieval artists to claim that medieval art was good is a bit of a cheat. Typical medieval art looks pretty much like the student art taped to the wall of grammar-school classrooms.

Jesus:

You think they would have let him live like that for 33 years?

7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That's Jesus after his eye exam.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post

Jesus:

You think they would have let him live like that for 33 years?
    Isnt that exactly what the Romans did as soon as they found out that he was mutating into a vampire ?
    Drive a wooden stake through him and nail him on a cross to be certain
    Why it took 33 years for the mutation is still unclear to me

9. Top | #19
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerful Charlie View Post
    Besides being untrained artists and bad at it, I suspect none of them had ever seen a lion.
    That was my first thought. I bet most drawings of lions were based upon only having seen drawings, based on drawings, based maybe on seeing one once or maybe just on someones description or upon seeing African drawings, and so forth. It's kind of like a culturally interesting game of "telephone".