Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with MS Word art editing

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Help with MS Word art editing

This is a very tech-unsavvy person here seeking help please:

I am in the process of changing my Facebook profile background picture. The new one I want to be more headlined about secularist activism views which I care about. To call this image a rough draft though would be an understatement. I am using MS Word to create the image, and do not know really how to get much further.

The main items that I would like to perform are:

1. Have the 3 lines of text placed in a (slightly) *curved* fashion above my circular picture rather than a completely horizontal fashion. They would be only tilted mildly downward, not at all tightly wrapped around the edges of the circle.
    2. Have all the pictures and text boxes aligned symmetrically with each other and across what will be the FB background page.

After those are accomplished, I will play around with colors and fonts on my own.

Could you nerds help me with step-by-step instructions on how to do those please? Is there even an option to write text in a curved fashion? Otherwise I may need to write a helluva lot of individual text boxes, with just 1 letter in each, and then very slightly rotate them to give it the overall same appearance.

It may be simpler to accomplish this in a different application, but I am basically unfamiliar with any photo editing software. This is my first foray into doing something like this, and I at least have a starting minimal background with MS Word.

Thanks.

2. Top | #2
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Curved text: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-0fe69be48d30
    Aligning objects: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-f6270690b3b8

You will also need to export the Word doc to PDF and then convert the PDF to PNG in order to use it as your FB picture.
    https://convertio.co/pdf-png/

Lastly, keep in mind that the text will be partially obscured in the mobile app because the profile background image and profile photo are laid out differently. Might take some trial and error to get a layout that works on both.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If you post your request at fiverr, artists will bid on the job.

Or you can browse thru artists, pick the one you want, and meet her price, which may be $5, $10, or $15.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Thanks. Regarding the first part---curving the text---I am (probably) not looking for my text to be tightly wrapped around my profile picture, as those instructions are about. Instead, I just want them to have a slight downward curve to them. So imagine there is no circle profile pic at all. You have a blank page in front of you and want to create a text box that contains letters which curve up and down.

I did some googling and found this result which closely resembles what I am seeking:

https://www.howtogeek.com/396435/how...curve-in-word/

But I am getting stuck at the point where it describes to open up the Format ribbon. I see none in my Word, and do not see any option to add it when I go to customize my ribbon.

5. Top | #5
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian63 View Post
    But I am getting stuck at the point where it describes to open up the Format ribbon. I see none in my Word, and do not see any option to add it when I go to customize my ribbon.
    It's been a while since I've used Word, but I think you need to select the thing you want to format, and then the Format menu will appear.

I just want them to have a slight downward curve to them
    Then that means you want to wrap your text along a very large circle.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    I just want them to have a slight downward curve to them
    Then that means you want to wrap your text along a very large circle.
    You can delete the big circle later, or hide it by changing it to the background color.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    It's been a while since I've used Word, but I think you need to select the thing you want to format, and then the Format menu will appear.
    Looks like it would be that simple, but it simply does not show up at all.

ETA: Interesting. I went back to the Insert ribbon and changed the WordArt format that I had from a more elegant to a more basic one, and NOW suddenly the ribbon shows an option for Shape Format. It is still not Format and I still get stuck on the next step (there is no "Transform" in the drop down menu, as depicted in the link above) but it is at least another small step.
    Last edited by Brian63; 02-16-2021 at 07:26 PM.

8. Top | #8
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Brian - I could do this for you. Unless you are wanting the joy of doing t by self.... It’s a 5 minute thing.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Rhea, thank you very much for your kind offer.

The big prize for me is not in simply having it done. That is not urgent either. Due to a history of epilepsy (chronic seizures), I have had much of my life erased from my memories. So the rest of the world has flown way over my head in many ways in the last decades, especially when it comes to advancements in technology. It is very important, intimidating, stressful, and fun to try to develop my own skills on these sorts of things. For that reason I would decline your offer for now, but may ask for help at later times. I made some more progress earlier today, which is not mentioned above. For my own personal benefit I need to know how to do this stuff myself though. Asking for help and learning how to find help otherwise is good, but I want to learn the basics to begin with.

Thank you very much.

10. Top | #10
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The big prize for me is not in simply having it done. [...] For my own personal benefit I need to know how to do this stuff myself though. Asking for help and learning how to find help otherwise is good, but I want to learn the basics to begin with.

Thank you very much.
    Understood. . I like doing by self, too.
    Let me know what you’re seeing and I could probably answer your questions - let me know where things stand. I’ve done this a lot.