Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Day without stupid: redux

1. Top | #211
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
    https://www.rawstory.com/louie-gohmert-climate-change/

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) was mocked this week after he asked federal Forest Service officials if they could change the orbit of the Earth and moon.
    I think what he is saying climate change is caused by the large number of solar flares recently (that haven’t happened) and modifications to Earth’s orbit caused by the Moon (that umm...), and any claim we can impact climate change would require readjusting the Earth’s orbit.

So again, it is quite ignorant and stupid, just for different reasons.
    I think the Republicans are a bit too confident in their ability to spin things to their advantage.

2. Top | #212
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post

I think what he is saying climate change is caused by the large number of solar flares recently (that haven’t happened) and modifications to Earth’s orbit caused by the Moon (that umm...), and any claim we can impact climate change would require readjusting the Earth’s orbit.

I think the Republicans are a bit too confident in their ability to spin things to their advantage.
    Well they do subscribe to the myth that the universe orbits Donald Trump.

3. Top | #213

Well they do subscribe to the myth that the universe orbits Donald Trump.
    Yes, sometimes you have to flush twice before it all goes down.

4. Top | #214
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
    https://www.rawstory.com/louie-gohmert-climate-change/

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) was mocked this week after he asked federal Forest Service officials if they could change the orbit of the Earth and moon.
    And the real problem here is:
    The expert being questioned by Gohmert diplomatically avoided the question.
    She should have answered his question and using expletives at least 50% of time, and her answer should have lasted at least 10 minutes.
    And while we at it, that health department lady should have done the same with Trump and his bleach idea.

5. Top | #215
    Squadron Leader

I clicked expecting to see that this Congressional luminary was just trying to make a joke with his lunatic idea. But his saturnine demeanor occluded that possibility

Maybe he's been indulging in too much moonshine.

6. Top | #216
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post

I clicked expecting to see that this Congressional luminary was just trying to make a joke with his lunatic idea. But his saturnine demeanor occluded that possibility

As I noted, he doesn't think we can alter the orbit of the planet or the moon, he is an idiot for thinking orbit shifts (not really happening) and the uptick in solar flares (not happening over the last several years if I'm not mistaken) are the cause of climate change. Therefore, anything we try to do would be worthless.

The Republican is mocking the person testifying, saying we are powerless, unless you​ can change the orbit of the Earth and Moon.

7. Top | #217
    Squadron Leader

As I noted, he doesn't think we can alter the orbit of the planet or the moon, he is an idiot for thinking orbit shifts (not really happening) and the uptick in solar flares (not happening over the last several years if I'm not mistaken) are the cause of climate change. Therefore, anything we try to do would be worthless.

The Republican is mocking the person testifying, saying we are powerless, unless you​ can change the orbit of the Earth and Moon.
    I watched again and now realize you're obviously correct. What makes it clear is that he asks if the Forest Service or BLM can affect the orbits. Had he been serious, he would have asked for help from NASA or Trump's Space Force.

And of course you're also correct that he is demonstrating stupidity and ignorance, albeit for different reasons. I don't know the rest of the testimony but presumably the Forest Service woman was speaking to mitigation of fire risk or such, so his snarky blather was both a non sequitur and defeatist ("If we can't change the Earth's orbit, let's just give up. Eat, drink, waste gasoline and be merry!")

Ten demerits to Gohmert for imagining that this "joke question" asked with a straight face would be recognized as such by more than a handful of people. Expect MTG to join the bandwagon, asking the Jews to move the planet with their space lasers!

And I earn a demerit also, for my default assumption that Republican pie-holes are capable of only the stupidest lies and ignorances. Gohmert exceeded my expectation: his hypocrisy and stupidity here is worthy of a 95 IQ, not the default 85 IQ.

8. Top | #218

Thinly veiled and adolescent sarcasm used to test the borders of truth.

9. Top | #219
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

That was my first thought, but upon seeing the name I realized it wasn't, no need to click through.

10. Top | #220
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Well the moon is slowly moving away from the earth in it's orbit. On the order of a little more than one inch per year IIRC. But it started about 4.5 billion years ago....