Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Features You ould Like To See

1. Top | #21
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian63 View Post
    In coming years, I expect that when in line at some major grocery or retail stores there will be lasers positioned all around certain areas that triangulate a scan of every product in your cart instantaneously and simultaneously, and then you pay for it like normal. It will be like the current self-scan stations, but more enhanced. Cashiers will be obsolete in those stores.
    This could be done with RFID.

2. Top | #22
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Oh. I got dibs on the idea though, so cha-ching!

3. Top | #23
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Oh. I got dibs on the idea though, so cha-ching!
    I think someone has already beat you to it. I read something a while back about a membership store that was looking into it. The idea, as I recall, was that when you apply for membership you give your credit or debit card info then once accepted as a member whatever you put in your cart is scanned by the cart and charged to your card. The store was to have no checkout lanes or cashiers, only people to stock the shelves.

4. Top | #24
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think Amazon already has experimental stores that are based on cameras only: you don't even need a cart, there are cameras that watch the shelves and keep track of everything that is picked up and who picks them up. You can put everything directly into your bag and walk out.

5. Top | #25
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    An easy way to turn off mouse-over activated drop-down menus and hyperlinks. Especially annoying when using Wikipedia. It's a pain having to move the mouse around so that the text I'm reading isn't blocked out. But on many websites floating over the upper tool bar brings down boxes that cover the entire page which requires moving the mouse all the way to the bottom to remove it. Software trying to be too helpful. Most of the time I don't want their help unless I ask for it. That's what the right-click is for.
    I agree, in part. Dropdown menus that open on hover are a design mistake - the dropdown should open after a click or tap.

I personally like the Wikipedia article previews that appear when I hover over inline links. However, I do know how to disable the article previews if you're willing to switch to Chrome or Firefox: you can install an addon/extension called NoScript and mark Wikipedia as an "untrusted site", which blocks the script that controls the popups.

6. Top | #26
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A personal app that expresses any romantic attention of yours to another physically-near user of the same app. People can secretly send and receive “winks” with each other when passing each other in public. Sort of a business card but with romantic interest at the focus of it. It would make it easier for those of us who are nervous about approaching strangers and trying to say something flirtatious from scratch.

7. Top | #27
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In coming years, I expect that when in line at some major grocery or retail stores there will be lasers positioned all around certain areas that triangulate a scan of every product in your cart instantaneously and simultaneously, and then you pay for it like normal. It will be like the current self-scan stations, but more enhanced. Cashiers will be obsolete in those stores.
    In Krogers, you can grab a scanner as you walk in, scan your items as you pick them off the shelf, pay through the scanner, place it back in the rack, and leave.

I've never done it myself.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.