Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions For Women

1. Top | #21
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    Why do women have to have about 11 pillows on their bed, when each person needs only 1, or 2 at most? Ladies spend a lot of time arranging these useless, unused pillows on the bed at 8am, then take them all off again at 10pm just prior to going to bed. It makes absolutely zero sense. Think of all the time wasted over a lifetime putting them on the bed, then taking them off a few hours later. And for what? That's time that could have been better spent helping poor people or inventing some new kind of efficient jet fuel that could curb climate change.
    It provides variety in the bedroom.

Pillows provide a nice decorative element through a variety of colors, shapes, textures and patterns. You can vary the look seasonally, or as you grow tired of something.

I'm a huge sucker for textiles and went through a phase of having too many pillows on the sofa--because I liked the way they looked, not for any utilitarian reason. .

Surely you are not going to try to convince us that your wife's pillow habit is keeping you from inventing a more efficient jet fuel?

2. Top | #22
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Why do women have to have about 11 pillows on their bed, when each person needs only 1, or 2 at most? Ladies spend a lot of time arranging these useless, unused pillows on the bed at 8am, then take them all off again at 10pm just prior to going to bed. It makes absolutely zero sense. Think of all the time wasted over a lifetime putting them on the bed, then taking them off a few hours later. And for what? That's time that could have been better spent helping poor people or inventing some new kind of efficient jet fuel that could curb climate change.

Pillows provide a nice decorative element through a variety of colors, shapes, textures and patterns. You can vary the look seasonally, or as you grow tired of something.

I'm a huge sucker for textiles and went through a phase of having too many pillows on the sofa--because I liked the way they looked, not for any utilitarian reason. .

Surely you are not going to try to convince us that your wife's pillow habit is keeping you from inventing a more efficient jet fuel?
    I'm not married, but a past girlfriend was into the decorative pillow nonsense. I don't think I can even count how many pillows I put on and took off her bed during our time together. It was maddening to me each time. I felt like Sisyphus. Later we watched the movie Along Came Polly (with Ben Stiller as a recently divorced man, and Jennifer Aniston as his free spirited girlfriend) and we both had a good chuckle about it. I think she was able to see where I was coming from after that. Maybe you should liberate yourself like in the movie?

My comment about inventing an efficient jet fuel was obviously tongue in cheek. It was just a way to get a point about "wasted time" across in a rather hyperbolic way.

3. Top | #23
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Why do men seem to think that women dress to please them? We don't! Most of us dress to please ourselves, regardless if we wear high heels, dresses, or skinny jeans like I do. In fact, despite the fact that my husband is constantly telling me things like, "you look mighty sexy in those jeans, babe", I'd dress the same way if I was single and never left the house. I dress to please myself. I like the way I look and I really don't give a shit if anyone else likes or dislikes my style.

4. Top | #24
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    (This post will probably reveal more about my lack of with-it-ness than anything else, but here goes.)
    So, shaving under the arms, is there a consensus? Is it already an option and no one cares much? Is it an age factor where a woman's age largely determines if she finds it a necessary routine? Also -- besides it being one more chore in grooming and body care, doesn't it lead to chafing and irritation by the end of a day? I always imagine that the beginning of regrowth (stubble) would be a hell of a nuisance because the arms are always in motion. Unlike my shaving my lower face each morning, which is a chore but an innocuous one. I'm in sympathy with anyone who keeps after the underarm hair.

5. Top | #25
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

I'm not married, but a past girlfriend was into the decorative pillow nonsense. I don't think I can even count how many pillows I put on and took off her bed during our time together. It was maddening to me each time. I felt like Sisyphus. Later we watched the movie Along Came Polly (with Ben Stiller as a recently divorced man, and Jennifer Aniston as his free spirited girlfriend) and we both had a good chuckle about it. I think she was able to see where I was coming from after that. Maybe you should liberate yourself like in the movie?

My comment about inventing an efficient jet fuel was obviously tongue in cheek. It was just a way to get a point about "wasted time" across in a rather hyperbolic way.
    Why do you think I need to 'liberate myself?'

I'm pretty happy with my aesthetic sense.

Also you should probably read more carefully.

6. Top | #26
    Archived
    Total Posts
    disclaimer: i'm going to be referring to human nature and psychology on a macro level. i'm not a psychic and i'm not delving the secrets of humanity out of anybody's brain, for all i know SH is the one human in the history of the planet earth who grew up in a bubble and never experienced cultural factors and is a pristine android immune to social influence.
    barring that, my responses are predicated on the reality of human social engineering and the psychological motivations behind many of our actions due to us evolving as social animals.

Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Why do men seem to think that women dress to please them?
    because you do.
    (or, to please women, in the case of lesbians)

We don't!
    yes you do.

Most of us dress to please ourselves, regardless if we wear high heels, dresses, or skinny jeans like I do. In fact, despite the fact that my husband is constantly telling me things like, "you look mighty sexy in those jeans, babe", I'd dress the same way if I was single and never left the house. I dress to please myself. I like the way I look and I really don't give a shit if anyone else likes or dislikes my style.
    and *why* exactly do you do that?
    i've seen women doll themselves up a hundred times and then claim they're doing it for themselves, and every excuse i've ever heard was a shallow attempt to justify it being some personal choice.

if you like how you look, it's because you perceive how you look being desirable to your preferred potential mate type.
    if dressing 'sexy' makes you feel confident, your confidence is in feeling like men are looking at you and liking it.

this is all true of men too btw, i'm not just slagging on women - *everyone* dresses in a way that they feel signals to their preferred mate type. nobody dresses "just for them" like they live in some vacuum where the gaze of others isn't a factor.

you know who "dresses for themselves"? the people at walmart you occasionally see a picture of where a shirtless old woman has her tits tucked into the top of her sweat pants.
    anyone who puts even a modicum of attention into their fashion is doing so to display to potential mates.

7. Top | #27
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    So, shaving under the arms, is there a consensus? Is it already an option and no one cares much? Is it an age factor where a woman's age largely determines if she finds it a necessary routine?
    not a woman but i'll take a stab at this because i have a couple life experiences that make me suited to address the topic.

the consensus is that most men find it unpleasant and/or unattractive, and since most of everything both men and women do is to appear attractive to their preferred mate-type, if you're a woman you shave your armpits because men like it.

as a man myself when i was 16 and fell in love for the first time it was with a quirky girl who extolled at length about how 'icky' she found body hair to me, and being so enamored with her it bordered on worship i got into the habit of shaving my armpits and pubic area.
    after we split i found that her attitude and my response to it had just kinda stuck, so now at 41 i still keep up with shaving those areas - partially out of habit, partially out of a personal preference that kind of developed over the years.

so TL;DR - the why is that other people expect you to or prefer you to and you end up incorporating that expectation into your personal sense of self.
    also, shaving your armpits is an absolutely astounding reduction in B.O.

Also -- besides it being one more chore in grooming and body care, doesn't it lead to chafing and irritation by the end of a day? I always imagine that the beginning of regrowth (stubble) would be a hell of a nuisance because the arms are always in motion. Unlike my shaving my lower face each morning, which is a chore but an innocuous one. I'm in sympathy with anyone who keeps after the underarm hair.
    in my experience it's rarely if ever an issue on the day you shave, or for a few days after - the real bitch of it comes 3-5 days later when you start sprouting the tips of hair and your armpits turn into inverted sandpaper.
    but on a day to day scale, the razor burn and general after-effects of shaving are usually much milder on pits/crotch than it is on the face, so it's a whole other thing.

8. Top | #28
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    disclaimer: i'm going to be referring to human nature and psychology on a macro level. i'm not a psychic and i'm not delving the secrets of humanity out of anybody's brain, for all i know SH is the one human in the history of the planet earth who grew up in a bubble and never experienced cultural factors and is a pristine android immune to social influence.
    barring that, my responses are predicated on the reality of human social engineering and the psychological motivations behind many of our actions due to us evolving as social animals.

because you do.
    (or, to please women, in the case of lesbians)

yes you do.

Most of us dress to please ourselves, regardless if we wear high heels, dresses, or skinny jeans like I do. In fact, despite the fact that my husband is constantly telling me things like, "you look mighty sexy in those jeans, babe", I'd dress the same way if I was single and never left the house. I dress to please myself. I like the way I look and I really don't give a shit if anyone else likes or dislikes my style.
    and *why* exactly do you do that?
    i've seen women doll themselves up a hundred times and then claim they're doing it for themselves, and every excuse i've ever heard was a shallow attempt to justify it being some personal choice.

if you like how you look, it's because you perceive how you look being desirable to your preferred potential mate type.
    if dressing 'sexy' makes you feel confident, your confidence is in feeling like men are looking at you and liking it.

this is all true of men too btw, i'm not just slagging on women - *everyone* dresses in a way that they feel signals to their preferred mate type. nobody dresses "just for them" like they live in some vacuum where the gaze of others isn't a factor.

you know who "dresses for themselves"? the people at walmart you occasionally see a picture of where a shirtless old woman has her tits tucked into the top of her sweat pants.
    anyone who puts even a modicum of attention into their fashion is doing so to display to potential mates.
    You are truly delusional.

9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ideologyhunter View Post
    So, shaving under the arms, is there a consensus? Is it already an option and no one cares much? Is it an age factor where a woman's age largely determines if she finds it a necessary routine?
    not a woman but i'll take a stab at this because i have a couple life experiences that make me suited to address the topic.

the consensus is that most men find it unpleasant and/or unattractive, and since most of everything both men and women do is to appear attractive to their preferred mate-type, if you're a woman you shave your armpits because men like it.

as a man myself when i was 16 and fell in love for the first time it was with a quirky girl who extolled at length about how 'icky' she found body hair to me, and being so enamored with her it bordered on worship i got into the habit of shaving my armpits and pubic area.
    after we split i found that her attitude and my response to it had just kinda stuck, so now at 41 i still keep up with shaving those areas - partially out of habit, partially out of a personal preference that kind of developed over the years.

so TL;DR - the why is that other people expect you to or prefer you to and you end up incorporating that expectation into your personal sense of self.
    also, shaving your armpits is an absolutely astounding reduction in B.O.

Also -- besides it being one more chore in grooming and body care, doesn't it lead to chafing and irritation by the end of a day? I always imagine that the beginning of regrowth (stubble) would be a hell of a nuisance because the arms are always in motion. Unlike my shaving my lower face each morning, which is a chore but an innocuous one. I'm in sympathy with anyone who keeps after the underarm hair.
    in my experience it's rarely if ever an issue on the day you shave, or for a few days after - the real bitch of it comes 3-5 days later when you start sprouting the tips of hair and your armpits turn into inverted sandpaper.
    but on a day to day scale, the razor burn and general after-effects of shaving are usually much milder on pits/crotch than it is on the face, so it's a whole other thing.
    Women who shave their armpits do so to minimize body odor and because society tells them that it is appropriate to do so.

I've never had an issue with ingrown hairs in my arm pit.

Doctors are seeing a variety of medical issues as the 'fashion' has become for women to remove their pubic hair.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/can-s...ferent%20risks.

10. Top | #30
    Archived
    Total Posts
    You are truly delusional.
    no, i'm not.

if you think humans behave in some kind of isolated construct where they develop habits and expectations based purely on their own cognition and not due to environmental and cultural factors, "delusional" doesn't even come close to whatever you have going on.