Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions For Women

1. Top | #221
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post

Between the cups. It’s not the same type of hooks as on a back clasping bra so it works but not great. I thought it would be a great convenience but it really wasn’t—except while I was breast feeding. That would not have worked very well if I had been larger busted and needed the extra support more than I did. Truthfully, fro t clasps, which are typically plastic, just don’t last as long and are not adjustable. Most bras have two or three sets of hooks in the band that allow you to tighten the fir as the elastic gives, allowing the bra to last longer. Also: bras do not belong in a dryer—too hard on the ekastic. A good bra is not inexpensive but worth the cost. You just have to take care of it.
    We are probably just 20 years away from superconductor bras, lift without the wire.

Here is a question, are women against wearing loose pants because they think tight pants are comfortable?
    Tight jeans are very comfortable on me because I have arthritis in my knees and the tight jeans are almost like wearing a compression sleeve on my knees.

I have a nice shape because I exercise everyday, which also helps my arthritis as well as my figure. I was a bit overweight in my 30s and 40s, but then started exercising at age 50. To me, obesity wasn't an option. So, I guess you could call me a bit vain because I like showing that exercise and discipline can help an older woman have a youthful figure, if she works at it. Of course, we are all born with a certain body type, but it still helps to exercise regardless of your natural shape. Exercise has numerous health benefits, outside of looking good in skinny jeans.

I understand that many people struggle to maintain a healthy weight. I realize it's difficult and not everyone has my discipline or my shape. I inherited a small frame from my mother. I also inherited osteoarthritis from her. But, aerobic exercise does increase one's metabolism so I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to lose weight or just establish a healthy habit. I never mention anyone else's weight issues, unless I am asked for advice.

I agree with Toni, assuming she was thinking of how women's clothing is sized. There is no consistency in women's sizes, and what was once a size 6 is now a size 2. What was once a size 14 is now a size 10, at least in some brands. It's crazy. When I order online, I always look closely at measurements since sizes are very inconsistent. Men don't usually have to deal with that, at least not to the extend that we women do.

2. Top | #222
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's tough, unless you are under 20 and 5'10+, weighing under 120 lbs. Too loose and you look shorter and dumpier and no one wants that. Too tight and you look like you bought your pants 20 lbs (or more) ago and nobody wants that. It can be really, really, really tough to find a pair of jeans or pants that does what it's supposed to do: make you look taller, thinner, hipper, younger, and smarter AND have convenient and sufficiently deep pockets that don't make your hips or your ass look huge. There are about 70 bajillion different makers/styles/sizes of jeans and pants, no two of which will consistently even semi-fit you. Even--get this: if you go to the same store on the same day and in the same department store dressing room, try on 3 different pairs of the same style (verified by tag) and same size (again, verified by tag) of stupid boring pants that you can wear to work and meet the 'business casual' dress code while staying within the 'don't pay too much because you're only going to destroy them when something heinous spills or splashes on them in the lab price/quality point.

Do not even get me started on jeans. I will say that I exercise extreme brand loyalty when it comes to jeans.
    I'm surprised. I've seen that sort of size variability with no-name clothes (as a teenager I once bought a 30 and a 34 on the same day), but I exclusively buy Levi's jeans these days--and I can absolutely trust the fit from pair to pair. Likewise, my hiking stuff is completely consistent. (Admittedly, that's not el-cheapo stuff. You can't count on el-cheapo stuff, if I can't count on it it might as well not be there. Thus the only el-cheapo stuff I hike with trash bags and some bags to contain mess.)

3. Top | #223
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Tight jeans are very comfortable on me because I have arthritis in my knees and the tight jeans are almost like wearing a compression sleeve on my knees.
    Huh?!

These days I hike with compression sleeves on my knees, but they're only good when standing. I don't wear them in the car.

4. Top | #224
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    It's tough, unless you are under 20 and 5'10+, weighing under 120 lbs. Too loose and you look shorter and dumpier and no one wants that. Too tight and you look like you bought your pants 20 lbs (or more) ago and nobody wants that. It can be really, really, really tough to find a pair of jeans or pants that does what it's supposed to do: make you look taller, thinner, hipper, younger, and smarter AND have convenient and sufficiently deep pockets that don't make your hips or your ass look huge. There are about 70 bajillion different makers/styles/sizes of jeans and pants, no two of which will consistently even semi-fit you. Even--get this: if you go to the same store on the same day and in the same department store dressing room, try on 3 different pairs of the same style (verified by tag) and same size (again, verified by tag) of stupid boring pants that you can wear to work and meet the 'business casual' dress code while staying within the 'don't pay too much because you're only going to destroy them when something heinous spills or splashes on them in the lab price/quality point.

Do not even get me started on jeans. I will say that I exercise extreme brand loyalty when it comes to jeans.
    I'm surprised. I've seen that sort of size variability with no-name clothes (as a teenager I once bought a 30 and a 34 on the same day), but I exclusively buy Levi's jeans these days--and I can absolutely trust the fit from pair to pair. Likewise, my hiking stuff is completely consistent. (Admittedly, that's not el-cheapo stuff. You can't count on el-cheapo stuff, if I can't count on it it might as well not be there. Thus the only el-cheapo stuff I hike with trash bags and some bags to contain mess.)
    I was surprised as well, given that I looked very carefully at the labels which gave a style name and number and made sure they matched. They weren't cheapo but not high end, either. It was actually Dockers. They needed to look nice enough to pass for business casual and yet be inexpensive enough that when something bad got spilt or splashed, I wasn't gnashing my teeth. Dockers on sale did the trick for me, when I could find them in petite sizes. Not an easy thing to do.

Size variability seems to be a much bigger issue with women's clothing in general compared with men's. In men's pants, for instance, you get to choose by waist and inseam. For (button up) shirts, you get to choose by neck sizes and sleeve length plus, depending on maker, a choice between slim fitted, 'classic' and I forget what the one for those gentlemen with a little more girth but not yet ready for Big & Tall are called.

Women have to be prepared to do our own hemming. Worse, I have had to explain over and over to a few women why I can't just wear regular sizes. I'm no longer petite in terms of girth but I haven't grown any taller. A regular sized blouse, for instance, is just too darn long between the top of the shoulder and the bust. It never fits right. I have no problem with casual tshirts for yard work or hiking or whatever but if I need to look even a little put together, I need to seek out stores which carry petite sizes.

Unfortunately for me, my metabolism took a nosedive some years ago and I haven't been able to drop pounds I've picked up. Before, I ate like a horse and weighed....under 100 soaking wet. Now, I am much more moderate in my eating habits but alas, although I swore I would never gain weight like a lot of my family members, it was a promise I could not keep.

5. Top | #225
    Might be a replicant Emily Lake's Avatar
    Northern Hemisphere, Bordering the Pacific
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    Here's a question for women that I hope doesn't devolve into a stand-off.

To my mind, a front-clasp bra would be easier for a woman to put on and off, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. Am I wrong about that, or is there some other reason that most bras are rear-clasp?

This has nothing to do about access for a significant other--just everyday wear.
    Front clasps are great if a) you're young and your boobs are fully of springy tension and are perky or b) your boobs are small.

Front clasps aren't very strong, and they have a tendency to break, come undone, or dig in to your chest. Back clasps are stronger, and can provide better overall support.

6. Top | #226
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post

I agree it could be read that way. I tried to express my thought with the words “sounds like”. The tone should have come across quizzically rather than critically.
    Or: you could have expressed sympathy with the fact that women in the US and much of the rest of the world are expected to wear an undergarment that requires some maneuvering to put on.

Or simply said: I did not know that.

I mean, personally, jock straps always confused me. And cups. I mean, how did they not hurt? For that matter, as a child I was quite confused how boys managed to run or climb trees or do anything at all with a penis dangling between their legs. Aside from the convenience of being able to pee on a tree or fire hydrant instead of running inside to the bathroom, a penis seemed quite uncomfortable a thing to have. But these were not questions that girls were supposed to ask back in the days of jock straps and cups....

So, whatever my husband tells me about them, I simply take as gospel, without question. He has assured me, several times, that underwear is sufficient to control the bobbing about of boy parts when they run and play.
    I had those same queries as a child. They were alleviated when I was old enough to begin interacting with penises, and realize they were positioned much further up on the body than our vulvas are. They aren't between the legs, so much as sticking out front!

That said... as we've become older, my husband has discovered the disadvantages of saggy balls. Like sometimes trying to shift position in a chair and managing to sit on his own testicles

7. Top | #227
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post

Between the cups. It’s not the same type of hooks as on a back clasping bra so it works but not great. I thought it would be a great convenience but it really wasn’t—except while I was breast feeding. That would not have worked very well if I had been larger busted and needed the extra support more than I did. Truthfully, fro t clasps, which are typically plastic, just don’t last as long and are not adjustable. Most bras have two or three sets of hooks in the band that allow you to tighten the fir as the elastic gives, allowing the bra to last longer. Also: bras do not belong in a dryer—too hard on the ekastic. A good bra is not inexpensive but worth the cost. You just have to take care of it.
    We are probably just 20 years away from superconductor bras, lift without the wire.

Here is a question, are women against wearing loose pants because they think tight pants are comfortable?
    Can't speak for other women... I wear tailored and fitted pants because if they're too lose, my ass eats them.

8. Top | #228
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily Lake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
    Here's a question for women that I hope doesn't devolve into a stand-off.

To my mind, a front-clasp bra would be easier for a woman to put on and off, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. Am I wrong about that, or is there some other reason that most bras are rear-clasp?

This has nothing to do about access for a significant other--just everyday wear.
    Front clasps are great if a) you're young and your boobs are fully of springy tension and are perky or b) your boobs are small.

Front clasps aren't very strong, and they have a tendency to break, come undone, or dig in to your chest. Back clasps are stronger, and can provide better overall support.
    Thanks for answering my question, That makes perfect sense.

9. Top | #229
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Huh?!

These days I hike with compression sleeves on my knees, but they're only good when standing. I don't wear them in the car.
    Well, I'm obviously not you. I wore compression sleeves on my knees under loser jeans during the last two years that I worked. My jeans aren't quite as comfortable as compression sleeves but they are close enough to be comfortable for me. What works for one, doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Duh......

10. Top | #230
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

You're talking about men's sizing. Women's sizing is not consistent. I currently wear mostly Levi's. But, even Levi's vary from style to style, which I why I always check the measurements very closely if I'm ordering a pair online.