Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did our universe begin? (Split from Atheist wins Nobel Prize thread)

1. Top | #221
    Local group: Solar system: Earth: NA: US: contiguous states westernmost - IOW here
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Based on their statement, a fart would qualify. Non-solid, non-physical, invisible, but deadly.
    Really? A fart, something that makes both sound and has odor is immaterial?

Care to review your Physics !?

2. Top | #222
    Contributor
    Donald Trump gets credit for the biggest cosmic expansion ever.

Non physical is a label for alleged phenomena beyond our science. Ghosts and so on. Something other than what we would call causality. God is everywhere, omnipresent, all powerful, and beyond what we call natural laws. Jump off a building and if god wills it you do not fall.

3. Top | #223
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Non physical is a label for alleged phenomena beyond our science.
    The only thing that is "beyond our science" is pretending that there are things beyond our science, and that happens because of simple human ignorance. I don't think that is what Learner meant anyway, so still waiting.

4. Top | #224
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post

Bumpity bump bump...

Hoping Learner tells me what he means by non-physical. I can't see the water molecules floating around in front of me but I take them to be physical.

What say you, Learner?
    I mean shit, even neutrinos are physical, even DARK MATTER is physical, even though we don't know what it is, even though it's interactions are weak as shit.
    Right. I mean we can use a beam of light to push things. So I don't know what he means. If he responds at least I'll know. How would one even go about detecting and measuring something that is non-physical? It would be impossible I would think, and axiomatically so. Non physical would be the same as non-real.

Waiting...
    Of course, we all know the reason that no believer will ever pony up on it: because if they implicated a physical phenomena, something real, then their claims would be testable and falsifiable, and promptly falsified.

5. Top | #225
    Contributor
    The only thing that is "beyond our science" is pretending that there are things beyond our science, and that happens because of simple human ignorance. I don't think that is what Learner meant anyway, so still waiting.
    I Havre no doubt there are aspect of reality we may never be able to see or understand. The idea that science can know all and see all is akin to theism.

The first inkling of the infrared spectrum came when someone noticed a hand go warm near a prism without visible light.

Serendipity has always been part of advancement. Look for one thing find another.

The CMBR was discovered when people testing an antenna could not resolve where noise was coming from. U Of Illinois I believe.

6. Top | #226
    Serendipity has always been part of advancement. Look for one thing find another.

The CMBR was discovered when people testing an antenna could not resolve where noise was coming from. U Of Illinois I believe.
    The CMBR:
    The discovery of the background radiation was a serendipitous one. In 1964, Bell Laboratories technicians Robert Wilson and Arno Penzias racked their brains for an explanation of the noisy signal recorded by their radio antenna. When it turned out that the “noise” was actually radiation from the CMB, the two engineers found themselves unexpectedly pulled into the growing field of modern cosmology. The detection of the CMB earned them the Nobel Prize.

Yet the discovery wouldn’t have been possible without the work of physicists at Princeton, 40 miles down the road from Bell Labs.

7. Top | #227
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I Havre no doubt there are aspect of reality we may never be able to see or understand. The idea that science can know all and see all is akin to theism.

The first inkling of the infrared spectrum came when someone noticed a hand go warm near a prism without visible light.

The accelerating expansion of the universe was found when astronomers were trying to measure the deceleration of the universal expansion.

8. Top | #228
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

Bumpity bump bump...

Hoping Learner tells me what he means by non-physical. I can't see the water molecules floating around in front of me but I take them to be physical.

What say you, Learner?

Sure, but you do see physical water.

I guess I should say, I don't see the invisible spirit in humans either.

(Sorry for the wait, need to ge a new seperate device, one of these days)

9. Top | #229
    Archived
    Total Posts
    One day god was bored sitting around flipping burgers and was looking for something to do to entertain himself so............
    People who believe that the universe was created by an intelligent deity should pay closer attention to the evening news.

10. Top | #230
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Burgers existed and started flipping before the universe began? That's a thought