Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spreads for Toast

1. Top | #1
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Spreads for Toast

Lately to make a step in becoming more health conscious I've started buying two loaves of bread per week, to replace some of my unhealthier snacks with toast. When it comes to health I use the less bad philosophy and try to gradually become less unhealthy, rather than fool myself into thinking I can eat a pure, healthy diet, all the time.

Anyway, so I'm eating more brown bread now instead of refined crackers and cookies, which raises the question of what to top it with. This is a tough one because spreads usually aren't the best: butter, cheese whiz, processed peanut butter, sugar heavy jam. The logical alternative would be natural peanut butter, mashed fresh berries, or something like avocado. Major first world problem and likely not that big of a deal, I know.

So I don't want to confine the thread to health, though, so feel free to suggest alternatives for me, mention what you like on toast, or any other related ideas.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I sometimes put hummus on toast.

3. Top | #3
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    My wife does that.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

4. Top | #4
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Toasted sourdough is awesomely delicious when it's generously topped with extra virgin olive oil and salt and nothing more, particularly a nice thick slice. Let it sit for a couple minutes after adding the olive and salt so it can soak in. Even if it cools off completely and you don't eat it for an hour it's still delicious. It's chewy and crunchy at the same time.

Topping with avocado also can't be beat. But I drizzle some olive oil over the avocado and hit it with salt to taste. Can be kinda messy but definitely hits the spot.

Spreading toast with butter and then spreading generously with almond butter is also pretty tasty and healthy. I have to say that I'll sprinkle a bit of salt here too.

5. Top | #5
    A vote for garlic hummus fortified with more garlic. But once in awhile I'll still use margarine for a change. I stay away from butter or cheese, but they'd be my first choice if I could. And more garlic. Hummus also works great in homemade salad dressing instead of mayo. It's made with tahini but I add more of that too. Along with some garlic.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Some of the bakery I had been buying was getting out of hand. The lovely blueberry/sour cream coffee cake brought on feelings of shame. So, with unemployment brought on a desire to economize and hence more food preparation. I figured if I'm going to make it, I might as well lean towards more healthy items.

I like toasted lettuce and tomato sandwiches on Dave's White Bread Done Right. I struggle with some of those whole wheat and whole grain breads.
    I've recently fallen out with jams and jellies because they are just too sweet for my taste now. So just organic unsweetened peanut butter is good.
    Recently I've tried an old childhood favorite, toast lightly buttered, sprinkled with a bit of sugar and cinnamon.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If the bread is soft and fresh, you cannot go past a thickish layer of butter (not that turkey fattening margarine crap) and a thin to medium layer of Vegemite. You do have to experiment with your butter/Vegemite ratio, and it has to be fresh bread, (again check the ratio you prefer - especially if you slice it yourself), but once you get this right.... mmmmmm.

Another one I like is fresh bread, butter and sliced canned beetroot. Add salt and pepper if you have to, but yummy!

I think they key is the fresher the bread, the better.

And yes, you can do this with toast too.

What about toast, butter, shredded ham, thin slices of tomatoes and onions, cheese and grill it.

8. Top | #8
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    A vote for garlic hummus fortified with more garlic. But once in awhile I'll still use margarine for a change. I stay away from butter or cheese, but they'd be my first choice if I could. And more garlic. Hummus also works great in homemade salad dressing instead of mayo. It's made with tahini but I add more of that too. Along with some garlic.
    So just my luck I had some frozen chickpeas already prepared, garlic, and most of what I needed to make my own Hummus. So I made some on Friday and quite enjoyed it with toast, as did our son.

9. Top | #9
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Not healthy, but unbelievably delicious: Maple Cream.

Seriously, this is fantastic.
    Take a cup of real maple syrup, a tiny bit of butter, then heat to 235F, cool in ice bath back to 100F, then stir constantly so that no large crystals can form, only tiny ones, as it cools the rest of the way. It makes a frosting-like consistency, and spread on buttered toast it is an incredible treat.

https://theviewfromgreatisland.com/m...y-maple-cream/

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Not healthy, but unbelievably delicious: Maple Cream.

Seriously, this is fantastic.
    Take a cup of real maple syrup, a tiny bit of butter, then heat to 235F, cool in ice bath back to 100F, then stir constantly so that no large crystals can form, only tiny ones, as it cools the rest of the way. It makes a frosting-like consistency, and spread on buttered toast it is an incredible treat.

https://theviewfromgreatisland.com/m...y-maple-cream/
    Sounds like creamed honey or honey butter and I haven’t had it in years!