Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spreads for Toast

1. Top | #11
    Contributor
    Olive Tapenade. Just put the following in a food processor for a few pulses: Kalamata olives (seedless), capers, lemon juice (add some zest too if fresh lemons), garlic, and olive oil.

If you want it richer but slightly less healthy add a bit of feta. And in case you haven't discovered it yet, seek out Bulgarian Feta. Many groceries with a decent deli with have it by the pound. It's creamier and less salty than all the other feta variants (greek, domestic, hungarian). Another addition that goes great if also adding feta is roasted fresh tomatoes. Just put either some whole cherry or slices of larger tomatoes under the broiler until they blacken a bit and throw them in.

It will keep for a week or more in the fridge.

2. Top | #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post
    Olive Tapenade. Just put the following in a food processor for a few pulses: Kalamata olives (seedless), capers, lemon juice (add some zest too if fresh lemons), garlic, and olive oil.

If you want it richer but slightly less healthy add a bit of feta. And in case you haven't discovered it yet, seek out Bulgarian Feta. Many groceries with a decent deli with have it by the pound. It's creamier and less salty than all the other feta variants (greek, domestic, hungarian). Another addition that goes great if also adding feta is roasted fresh tomatoes. Just put either some whole cherry or slices of larger tomatoes under the broiler until they blacken a bit and throw them in.

The tapenade sounds like it would go with just about anything. I've heard that supermarket feta in the US is often made with cows milk, and most imports are made with sheep and/or goat milk.

3. Top | #13
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ronburgundy View Post

The tapenade sounds like it would go with just about anything. I've heard that supermarket feta in the US is often made with cows milk, and most imports are made with sheep and/or goat milk.
    "Domestic" is almost always cow. Bulgarian will pretty much always have at least some sheep/goat milk. Greek will often have sheep, but it is aged longer and thus is more dry and crumbly. I love the Bulgarian because it's texture almost a cross between feta and fresh creamy goat cheese. Also, b/c it is less aged it's often the cheapest. If you buy something pre-packaged from the cooler, imported or not, it's likely going to be a more aged and dry/crumbly texture, even if called "Bulgarian". I live in a major city, but my the deli counter in the market I go to (even a chain like Mariano' or Whole Foods) has multiple types by the pound and the Buglarian is always the softest and pretty cheap ($5-$7 per pound).

4. Top | #14
    Contributor
    There is really only one, peanut butter. Washed down with coffee.

5. Top | #15
    Contributor
    I have to admit that my very initial reading of the the thread title was as a verb-preposition phrase similar to "work for food". That gives a very different flavor to what the thread is about.

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts

Most yummy.
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

7. Top | #17
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I've been addicted to sour dough bread during the pandemic. I had been putting butter and apricot preserves on my toast but now I'm trying to get a little extra protein in the morning, so this week, I've been putting pecan/honey cream cheese and apricot preserves. Today it was peanut butter and apricot preserves. I'm addicted to apricot preserves, but I only use a tiny bit on the toast.

I like apricot preserves so much that I found a pork tenderloin recipe that has apricot preserves in it. My husband loves it too, so he makes it for us at least every two weeks. He also makes an orange and apricot preserves sauce to use on coconut shrimp, which is delicious. So, apricot preserves are not just good on toast, they are good with many things.

8. Top | #18
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Peanut butter and mayo on toast - yea or nay?

My mom used to make it when I was a kid and I liked it too.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

9. Top | #19
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

No thanks. I hate mayo. And, I hate almost everything that I liked when I was a kid.

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post

No thanks. I hate mayo. And, I hate almost everything that I liked when I was a kid.
    I don’t mind Mayo, if it’s on the right sandwich.