Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "It’s Time for Major Wealth Redistribution — Yes, I Mean It."

1. Top | #1
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

"It’s Time for Major Wealth Redistribution — Yes, I Mean It."

https://scheerpost.com/2021/02/25/le...G95Vy0f0ae0B7M

Anyway, we desperately need wealth redistribution. And before anyone starts yelling something about Joseph Stalin, here’s the part that’s going to blow your mind — in the United States we’ve already had wealth redistribution for decades.

Fifty trillion dollars has been redistributed from the poorest Americans to the top one percent over the past several decades. That’s right, a new study shows the richest people in the world have stolen trillions from average Americans. To put this in easier to access terms — you know how mad you get when someone takes the last donut? Well, imagine that multiplied by 50 trillion. (Quick reminder: If you make $40,000 a year, it would take you 1.25 Billion years to make $50 trillion.)

The new study reveals, “…that the cumulative tab for our four-decade-long experiment in radical inequality has grown to over $47 trillion from 1975 through 2018. At a recent pace of about $2.5 trillion a year, that number we estimate crossed the $50 trillion mark by early 2020.”

And to be clear, this money has been stolen from nearly every American. Had income distribution and buying power remained the same as it was from the end of World War II to 1975, ” . . . the aggregate annual income of Americans earning below the 90th percentile would have been $2.5 trillion higher in the year 2018 alone. That is … enough to pay every single working American in the bottom nine deciles an additional $1,144 a month. Every month. Every single year.”
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Not an attractive notion for some TFT posters. Just wait for the howls of protest and denial.

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    How is this alleged "study" showing that trillions were stolen? Theft has a particular meaning. It doesn't simply mean that money changed hands.

Let me quote more of this ridiculous article:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Camp vis Scheer Post
    Enough of the pussy-footing. It’s time to demand true, full-on wealth redistribution. It’s time to say to the billionaires, “We’re taking your shit, and we’re giving it back to the society you stole it from. We’re taking your cars and your marble statues of your own ass and your boats that park inside your other boats and your emerald bathtubs filled with naked man servants and your inbred cross eyed ugly-ass dogs! . . . But you can keep your children. We don’t want those sociopaths in training. But other than that, we’re taking your stuff because this level of inequality is what most rational economists call ‘fucking nuts’.”
    Stopped reading after this, as it is giving me Dr. Zhivago vibes.

By the way, the author is one Lee Camp, identified on his wiki page as a "standup comedian" working for "Russia Today".
    Trump is being accused of being a Russian asset without any evidence, but here Zipr is posting ramblings of an actual Russian asset.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    How is this alleged "study" showing that trillions were stolen? Theft has a particular meaning. It doesn't simply mean that money changed hands.

Enough of the pussy-footing. It’s time to demand true, full-on wealth redistribution. It’s time to say to the billionaires, “We’re taking your shit, and we’re giving it back to the society you stole it from. We’re taking your cars and your marble statues of your own ass and your boats that park inside your other boats and your emerald bathtubs filled with naked man servants and your inbred cross eyed ugly-ass dogs! . . . But you can keep your children. We don’t want those sociopaths in training. But other than that, we’re taking your stuff because this level of inequality is what most rational economists call ‘fucking nuts’.”

By the way, the author is one Lee Camp, identified on his wiki page as a "standup comedian" working for "Russia Today".
    Trump is being accused of being a Russian asset without any evidence, but here Zipr is posting ramblings of an actual Russian asset.
    Oh jeez. Why is the only alternative to today’s unregulated capitalistic violence, Bolshevism? Give me a fucking break. We’re we fucking commies in 1956? Do you think Eisenhower, a Republican President, was a Bolshevik? Seriously, are you that obtuse?

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Conservatives will know the true meaning of Communism when they are forced to listen to Lady Gaga's music in the gulags.

6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post
    Oh jeez. Why is the only alternative to today’s unregulated capitalistic violence, Bolshevism? Give me a fucking break. We’re we fucking commies in 1956? Do you think Eisenhower, a Republican President, was a Bolshevik? Seriously, are you that obtuse?
    1. Today's capitalism, including in the US, is far from "unregulated". And what's this nonsense about "violence"? Are you escalating on crass hyperbole from the Camp? "Theft", now "violence" ... give it a rest!
    2. No, it is obviously not the only alternative. But Camp's ramblings about government taking away people's stuff because it is "a better arrangement" do remind me of Comrade Yelkin and Comrade Kaprugina.
    3. What does 1956 have to do with anything?

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It's not a new study; Camp is linking the same Time Magazine article Elixir linked to here five months ago.

https://talkfreethought.org/showthre...-the-Bottom-90

We beat this topic to death back then. Camp, Hanauer and Rolf are lying about what the Rand study shows. Their economic argument amounts to "When customers collectively choose to give fifty trillion dollars worth of their business to my outgroup instead of paying all that money to my ingroup, that's my outgroup stealing from my ingroup."

8. Top | #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    ... That’s right, a new study shows the richest people in the world have stolen trillions from average Americans....
    And to be clear, this money has been stolen from nearly every American....
    I'll repeat what I said in a similar recent thread. Why the perverse need to speak of "stealing"? In a recent movie Mark Wahlberg made more money than his co-stars. Did he "steal" from them? Toyota Corporation has a lot more wealth than I have, yet they didn't sell me my pick-up for free; I had to pay for it. Did they steal from me? A lot of wealth transfer is associated with actual theft (Wasn't it Julius Caesar who wrote "I came; I saw; I stole" ?) but it is counter-productive to frame wealth and income inequality as a morality play. For one thing it gives right-wingers a (valid!) reason to argue against reform.

We want (or should want) to reduce (not eliminate) income inequality because it would have social, economic and humanitarian benefits, but not because the poor are somehow more "moral" than the rich.

We should support progressive changes to the tax code NOT to punish the "evil rich," but to improve society. And some level of inequality is good! We just need to steer toward a more moderate level, away from the excesses of this new Gilded Age.

Progressive reforms should be directed. Inherited wealth is a better target for taxation than entrepreneurial wealth. And the income of Wall St. traders is a better target than the income of top surgeons and entertainers. NOT because Wall St. traders are "evil", but simply because their activities do not benefit society.

Hope this helps.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There is a vast difference in power, position and leverage between movie and sports stars, etc, and and an ordinary worker who has virtually none, which leaves him open to exploitation and minimum pay. Is exploitation a form of stealing? Is paying a worker less than their market value and input into company profit just because you are legally able, a form of theft?

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post

Clearly you've never started a company in the US if you believe that that the economy today is unregulated!