Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solid State Batteries Coming Soon

1. Top | #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    One problem with 100% EV is how to heat the cabin in cold weather. I'm thinking that would be a huge drain on the batteries. It wouldn't be a problem with hybrids. They could recapture some of the otherwise wasted heat from the engine. Although if the generator is on a detachable trailer that might not work so well. So in regions where the weather can get cold for a significant length of time a hybrid might be the best choice for now. Of course having a compact, dedicated, propane or diesel-oil burning heater would be another solution. So a 100% EV with an auxiliary heater and an optional trailer for long trips seems like a winning combination. As soon as Black and Decker announces theirs I'm buying!
    I would like to see that setup just for the sheer spectacle! Extra points if you have to keep the window open for the diesel-power indoor heater's exhaust pipe.
    Maybe it could employ a catalytic heater placed in the cargo area and circulating water through radiators in the cabin.

2. Top | #22
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
    I'll be curious to see how small this tech can go. Will SS replace the current crop even at the scale of D, C, AA etc. household batteries? I would love some smaller, lighter batteries for some of my applications, but not necessarily if they don't have at least the equivalent number of charge cycles.
    Lithium runs at a higher voltage than household batteries. There are a few dual-power devices (I've got a little flashlight that runs on a AA or a same-size lithium-ion which will make it substantially brighter) but in most cases it's one or the other. It's also possible to have a device that runs on 3 standard batteries or one lithium-ion--an almost perfect voltage match. I recently bought a headlamp that works that way but I've seen very few devices of that sort.

3. Top | #23
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    One problem with 100% EV is how to heat the cabin in cold weather. I'm thinking that would be a huge drain on the batteries. It wouldn't be a problem with hybrids. They could recapture some of the otherwise wasted heat from the engine. Although if the generator is on a detachable trailer that might not work so well. So in regions where the weather can get cold for a significant length of time a hybrid might be the best choice for now. Of course having a compact, dedicated, propane or diesel-oil burning heater would be another solution. So a 100% EV with an auxiliary heater and an optional trailer for long trips seems like a winning combination. As soon as Black and Decker announces theirs I'm buying!
    I would like to see that setup just for the sheer spectacle! Extra points if you have to keep the window open for the diesel-power indoor heater's exhaust pipe.
    Reminds me of the gasoline powered heaters in VW Beetles.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

4. Top | #24
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    I'll be curious to see how small this tech can go. Will SS replace the current crop even at the scale of D, C, AA etc. household batteries? I would love some smaller, lighter batteries for some of my applications, but not necessarily if they don't have at least the equivalent number of charge cycles.
    Lithium runs at a higher voltage than household batteries. There are a few dual-power devices (I've got a little flashlight that runs on a AA or a same-size lithium-ion which will make it substantially brighter) but in most cases it's one or the other. It's also possible to have a device that runs on 3 standard batteries or one lithium-ion--an almost perfect voltage match. I recently bought a headlamp that works that way but I've seen very few devices of that sort.
    I'm specifically thinking of the current crop of e-bikes and am less concerned about cars (although the cars are obviously a much larger market).

I have a 12v electrical system on my velomobile that runs off a battery pack (3.4 Ah, I think) that's just an 8 pack of rechargeable C batteries (NiMH, 4 inline x 2 parallel). Looking at velomobiel.nl, it looks like my older battery pack is already obsolete compared to the newer, smaller (and more Ah) system.

5. Top | #25
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm specifically thinking of the current crop of e-bikes and am less concerned about cars (although the cars are obviously a much larger market).

I have a 12v electrical system on my velomobile that runs off a battery pack (3.4 Ah, I think) that's just an 8 pack of rechargeable C batteries (NiMH, 4 inline x 2 parallel). Looking at velomobiel.nl, it looks like my older battery pack is already obsolete compared to the newer, smaller (and more Ah) system.
    Your wiring is wrong--that's 8 inline. 4 NiMH inline x 2 parallel would be a 6v system. You could get 12V (actually, more like 14v) out of 4 Li-Ion x 2 parallel but that needs a reasonably sophisticated charge controller to keep from blowing it up.

6. Top | #26
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Could you chew that a bit finer? So if I buy a lithium battery as opposed to your standard battery I shouldn't be using them in the same device, like a flashlight or headlamp?

7. Top | #27
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Could you chew that a bit finer? So if I buy a lithium battery as opposed to your standard battery I shouldn't be using them in the same device, like a flashlight or headlamp?
    The lithium that you buy as a replacement for a normal battery is a different chemistry, it works fine. I'm talking about the rechargeable chemistry, that runs around 3.7 volts compared to the 1.5 or less of an ordinary battery.