Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solid State Batteries Coming Soon

1. Top | #1
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts

Solid State Batteries Coming Soon

How solid-state batteries can transform electric cars
    More range, less weight, faster charging time -- you name it.

We haven't perfected lithium-ion batteries for electric cars but the race is already on to replace them. Solid-state batteries are getting the most buzz as the heir apparent: Their proponents promise they'll deliver longer range, faster charging and more affordable electric cars compared to today's top EVs like the Tesla Model 3 and Chevy Bolt.

A solid-state battery is exactly that: A tightly compressed arrangement of hard materials rather than the slightly mushy stew that makes up a typical lithium-ion (li-ion) battery. That solid state composition and construction yields an electrochemical device that promises a lot of improvements:

Greater energy density. This could mean an EV with two or more times the current range, or possibly an EV with the same range but with a much smaller, lighter and less expensive battery that charges faster.

Faster charging. Estimates of an 80% charge in 15 minutes get bandied about a lot with solid state, performance that would be on par or a bit faster than today's best li-ion applications.

Longer life. Solid-state tech is a key part of GM's plan to produce a million-mile life battery, changing the equation of EV affordability and reducing concerns about mountains of toxic batteries that need recycling after 100,000 to 150,000 miles.

Thermal stability. Solid-state designs promise less likelihood of thermal runaway, which can cause a fire. Li-ion batteries have developed a nasty reputation for this.
    This seems to be quite a promising development for the electric car market. Only three to five years away.

More details in the video at the site.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

2. Top | #2
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    How solid-state batteries can transform electric cars
    More range, less weight, faster charging time -- you name it.

We haven't perfected lithium-ion batteries for electric cars but the race is already on to replace them. Solid-state batteries are getting the most buzz as the heir apparent: Their proponents promise they'll deliver longer range, faster charging and more affordable electric cars compared to today's top EVs like the Tesla Model 3 and Chevy Bolt.

A solid-state battery is exactly that: A tightly compressed arrangement of hard materials rather than the slightly mushy stew that makes up a typical lithium-ion (li-ion) battery. That solid state composition and construction yields an electrochemical device that promises a lot of improvements:

Greater energy density. This could mean an EV with two or more times the current range, or possibly an EV with the same range but with a much smaller, lighter and less expensive battery that charges faster.

Faster charging. Estimates of an 80% charge in 15 minutes get bandied about a lot with solid state, performance that would be on par or a bit faster than today's best li-ion applications.

Longer life. Solid-state tech is a key part of GM's plan to produce a million-mile life battery, changing the equation of EV affordability and reducing concerns about mountains of toxic batteries that need recycling after 100,000 to 150,000 miles.

Thermal stability. Solid-state designs promise less likelihood of thermal runaway, which can cause a fire. Li-ion batteries have developed a nasty reputation for this.
    This seems to be quite a promising development for the electric car market. Only three to five years away.

More details in the video at the site.
    I was planning to buy an electric in the next couple years but you've made me think about it now. I still have to fix thing so to get the vehicle into the basement - can stretch that out for five years at least.

3. Top | #3
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    I was planning to buy an electric in the next couple years but you've made me think about it now. I still have to fix thing so to get the vehicle into the basement - can stretch that out for five years at least.
    My guess is it will be several years after introduction that they really become available for the masses. I assume the first ones will be quite expensive. You could buy an electric now and sell or trade in when SSB cars become mainstream.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

4. Top | #4
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The hybrid car still strikes me as a better option than an electric car. That is unless someone only wants an electric for local travel and a second car, hybrid or gas, for road trips.

5. Top | #5
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    The hybrid car still strikes me as a better option than an electric car. That is unless someone only wants an electric for local travel and a second car, hybrid or gas, for road trips.
    For a long time I was in this camp--I figured the way to go was an "electric" car with a generator on board. Such an engine could be substantially more efficient than a normal ICE because it would be designed paired with it's generator (or perhaps even with the generator in it to minimize the amount of friction) and only run under optimum conditions. You might even go with a turbine engine approach--you can get impressive efficiencies out of them but they have abysmal low-power efficiency.

However, pure electrics have gotten good enough I now think the best option would be to make an optional small trailer with the fuel, engine and generator. City driving, leave it home. Long road trips, hitch it up.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Who's in the hunt? Perhaps most talked about is QuantumScape,
    LOL, old "friend" QuantumScape again.
    Have not heard that name in few years. Can't comment on what they are doing now, but they started as a scam.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Perhaps I missed it but the article was vague about what is actually inside the battery.
    1. Materials?
    2. Produce dangerous by-products during manufacture?
    3. Disposal - easy or hard?
    4. Recyclable?
    5. How common are the materials i.e. will they run out in X years?
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

8. Top | #8
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    That's the best option at this point, and until charging stations become more common and range increases. Also, that gasser needn't be a gas guzzler, and shouldn't be. We own a Honda Fit that is incredibly flexible in its use and gets tremendous mileage. Was actually going to replace it with a new one but now they're no longer available. Seems to me a gas sipper and an electric are the best combo at this time.

9. Top | #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    However, pure electrics have gotten good enough I now think the best option would be to make an optional small trailer with the fuel, engine and generator. City driving, leave it home. Long road trips, hitch it up.
    That's what I've been thinking. Either buy a generator on a trailer if you make frequent long trips or go to Hertz and they'll rent you one.

10. Top | #10
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    That's what I've been thinking. Either buy a generator on a trailer if you make frequent long trips or go to Hertz and they'll rent you one.
    I didn't even think of the rental approach--good catch.