Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What if God had chosen to incarnate into a woman or LGBTQ?

1. Top | #11
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    Christians sure have it in for women and gays though.
    Muslims much more so. But then all cultures (which religions spring from) generally have expected gender roles.
    Mmmm. Not really. Islam is just still a dominant force, whereas Christianity is dying.
    ??? Dunno what this has to do with gender rules in Islam.
    Also, it is very true that Islam was very good for women, compared to the society when it was formed.
    Possibly. I don't know how women were treated in those societies before Islam. But in many Muslim countries they are forced to completely cover, severely punished if they don't, can be killed for dishonoring the family (by being raped), not allowed out without a male family member along, etc. Only very recently has women been allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia but it is still very rare because of religious resistance by the general public.

Yeah, Yeah, I know "NOT ALL MUSLIMS".

2. Top | #12
    Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Muslims much more so. But then all cultures (which religions spring from) generally have expected gender roles.
    Sure. I do not dispute that.

While modern secular government's laws are designed to be as inclusive as possible, Christianity and Islam have designed and institutionalized their laws to deny gays and women equality and full inclusion in the country.

Regards
    DL

3. Top | #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian63 View Post
    https://twitter.com/ExxtianErin/stat...16940780335104

ExxtianErin poses the former question, and I would add on the latter.

Imagine how especially different the U.S. QOP would look if God had chosen to incarnate as LBGTQ.
    That would not happen because there is no God first of all, and because the Abrahamic religions stem from the male urge to dominate and control, and not from anything that a female God would represent.

I don't think the US would even exist if the God of the Bible had been female. The entire world would look so different that it would be impossible to speculate. And men would find ways to change that God to male anyway.
    Some bring up the Gnostic Christian story where Jesus tell the apostles he will make Mary into a man so the apostles can respect her. They try to use this story against me.

When the whole thing is read, it is more of a tongue in cheek chastisement of the apostles for being so stupidly misogynous.

I see it as almost the way a male feminist would talk to his less equality minded peers.

Unfortunately, even the strong willed women that get into politics, you might have noted, quite often dress like men.

I suspect it is for the same reason. Nice that that trend seems to not be as prevalent as it once was.

Regards
    DL

4. Top | #14
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts

While modern secular government's laws are designed to be as inclusive as possible, Christianity and Islam have designed and institutionalized their laws to deny gays and women equality and full inclusion in the country.

Regards
    DL
    I think you may be conflating culture and law when it comes to modern secular countries. In the U.S. for example while it is true that women and gays can get the short end of the stick culturally, legality is a different matter - many laws favor women such as child custody and alimony. I can't think of any that favor men... maybe you could cite some.

5. Top | #15

QUOTE=J842P;882741

Yeah, Yeah, I know "NOT ALL MUSLIMS".
    Let me finish ----

Throw gays off of buildings, by law, but way too many like to watch.

Not that long again and still on occasion, the Saudis still have public executions etc. etc.

Give me about 8 cows and 2 plane ticket and I will return you a child bride.

A bit of spending money goes without question.

Regards
    DL

6. Top | #16

Regards
    DL
    I think you may be conflating culture and law when it comes to modern secular countries. In the U.S. for example while it is true that women and gays can get the short end of the stick culturally, legality is a different matter - many laws favor women such as child custody and alimony. I can't think of any that favor men... maybe you could cite some.
    Nothing these days come to mind, but up to fairly recently, although it was not written law, women were denied credit cards and work due to being female.

I dispute your notion that women are favored in divorce courts.

The judge, if decent, will put the child's best interest at heart and as far as care givers go, women outdo men by a long shot. That may be why nearly 50% of all U.S. households are maned by single women.

I come from a rough unsophisticated city and have seen a number of women loose to men. I have known a number of families and the woman is usually the hub and better care given.

Some men, including me, are just not cut out to be care givers.

Regards
    DL

7. Top | #17
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian63 View Post
    https://twitter.com/ExxtianErin/stat...16940780335104

ExxtianErin poses the former question, and I would add on the latter.

Imagine how especially different the U.S. QOP would look if God had chosen to incarnate as LBGTQ.
    Hold on, though, isn't the Holy Ghost queer? I mean, the Father is male and the Son is male but the last third is gender-less and sometimes even appears as a non-human, like a bird. Furthermore, didn't YHWH impregnate the teenage girl by filling her with the asexual/sexless/non-human/queer/whatever Holy Ghost?

Welp, I just googled and it looks like some other people make a similar point:
    Pentecost: Holy Spirit brings LGBTQ visions

8. Top | #18
    Personally, I think there is enough room in the divine archetype for all of us.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

9. Top | #19
    Contributor
    If Jesus had been gay then heteros would ne the appressed not gays...think about it.

Or perhaps god is a closet gay.

10. Top | #20
    Best of luck, if he is. They'll murder him again if they find out.

Truthfully, I'm thinking of taking a step back from institutional Christianity for a while. It feels like being in an abusive relationship some years.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."