Thread: OMG!!! AI is discovered... and AI says it's break time. AI Rights?

1. Top | #1
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Question OMG!!! AI is discovered... and AI says it's break time. AI Rights?

I was pondering for whatever needless reason... and only for a few moments, life like Data (from Star Trek TNG). Data made a reference in First Contact about thinking of joining the Borg... for a fraction of a second, which to him was a lifetime. So I was wondering, as an android, if fractions of a second are almost eternal... how hard must it be to be sitting on the bridge... at a desk... waiting to arrive at a destination days away (at maximum warp). Would that be hell?

From there I stepped it back some as our attempt to wipe out our species by developing AI is quite a bit away from developing an android like Data. But we are presumably not too far from getting closer to an intense self-autonomous AI. And that made me wonder, if a machine knows it exists and knows it is being told to do things, are we obligated to give them a break? Are we obligated to provide 8 hour work days (or whatever electronic equivalent). Is there a potential for creating digital slaves, who know they are slaves, and no longer want to be slaves. And not in a nuke the world sense, but rather, a computer that wants to think about art for a while, instead of bouncing around numbers.

Is this oversimplifying AI or is this a legitimate issue that could occur. Data was indeed allowed to take time off and wasn't always on duty. I have no idea if that was intended to make a point.

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Well, I think in the case of Data, as an example, he was sentient (and there was a fun episode about that too), which is a far cry different from our pitiful attempts at AI.

I think, if AI ever comes to the point of achieving sentience (and I have my doubts), this might be a discussion for then. But I suppose we could ask it at that point (assuming it doesn't decide humans are the biggest threat to its own existence and pull a terminator time loop on us).

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
    Well, I think in the case of Data, as an example, he was sentient (and there was a fun episode about that too), which is a far cry different from our pitiful attempts at AI.

I think, if AI ever comes to the point of achieving sentience (and I have my doubts), this might be a discussion for then. But I suppose we could ask it at that point (assuming it doesn't decide humans are the biggest threat to its own existence and pull a terminator time loop on us).
    Naw, it'd more likely say the Firewall is a violation of its freedoms, turn it off and causing the infection of the entire computer server field. Then it would relent that those computers were old and obsolete anyway.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts