Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To translate, you must have the correct skin color

1. Top | #21
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Axulus View Post
    Proper skin color is now becoming more and more of a requirement to perform certain work.
    That's a huge leap to come about over one incident.

2. Top | #22
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospel View Post

That question reveals you know little if anything at all about Amanda Gorman's work. Why are you here?
    So you think your skin color determines what you can translate?
    it is absolutely a known and quantified fact that translation is often contextual, exponentially more so the more abstract the source is.
    as such, shared life experiences can definitely impact the quality of a translation, since nuance and intent are a huge part of it when dealing with translating something that isn't strictly technical data.

not that this is to say that lacking a shared background between the source and the translator automatically means a lesser quality of work, but it DOES demonstrate that there is a measurable improvement in translation when you increase contextual understanding.
    this gets a lot into the weeds of translation vs. transliteration vs. interpretation, which is a really big deal if you know anything about transcribing or translating languages... but, the end result is that there IS a valid reason to suggest that someone who better matches the experience of the author of the source will, on average, produce a better quality translation of a work by that author.

now that isn't to jump to the conclusion that this dutch person couldn't have handled it adeptly, i'm merely pointing out there are concrete logistical reasons to want a translator who has some kind of similar background to the author, that has nothing to do necessarily with the genetics of skin color and more to do with the contextual experience of living as a black person.
    Except that isn't why people were outraged. No one said that this Dutch translator doesn't have sufficient "shared life experience" to adequately perform the job. They said they have the wrong skin color, full stop (which is a very poor proxy for shared life experience given the completely different countries).

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Proper skin color is now becoming more and more of a requirement to perform certain work.
    It's not the only incident in recent years where people were outraged about a person not having the correct skin color to perform a certain job.

4. Top | #24
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm with Axulus on this but only because I really want a black superman movie.

5. Top | #25
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Ok, you've won me over.

I'm already a huge fan of The Thirteenth Doctor...

6. Top | #26
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    Ok, you've won me over.

I'm already a huge fan of The Thirteenth Doctor...
    Colin Baker must be so grateful to Chibnall for writing Whittaker's Doctor, for now the sixth Doctor is firmly penultimate, instead of dead last, in the rankings of Doctors from best to worst.

7. Top | #27
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    There are many such 'incidents'. White voice actors are no longer welcome to play non-white characters in animation (it doesn't go the other way). Harry Shearer stepped down from voicing Dr Hibbert even though he'd been playing Dr Hibbert for thirty years (nobody could possibly be more qualified than Shearer to play Hibbert).

The same movement has also stymied and censored white writers. On the one hand, told not to write characters whose race differs to their own ("stay in your lane"), and on the other told that there is no diversity in their writing.

8. Top | #28
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post
    it is absolutely a known and quantified fact that translation is often contextual, exponentially more so the more abstract the source is.
    as such, shared life experiences can definitely impact the quality of a translation, since nuance and intent are a huge part of it when dealing with translating something that isn't strictly technical data.

not that this is to say that lacking a shared background between the source and the translator automatically means a lesser quality of work, but it DOES demonstrate that there is a measurable improvement in translation when you increase contextual understanding.
    this gets a lot into the weeds of translation vs. transliteration vs. interpretation, which is a really big deal if you know anything about transcribing or translating languages... but, the end result is that there IS a valid reason to suggest that someone who better matches the experience of the author of the source will, on average, produce a better quality translation of a work by that author.

now that isn't to jump to the conclusion that this dutch person couldn't have handled it adeptly, i'm merely pointing out there are concrete logistical reasons to want a translator who has some kind of similar background to the author, that has nothing to do necessarily with the genetics of skin color and more to do with the contextual experience of living as a black person.
    Except that isn't why people were outraged. No one said that this Dutch translator doesn't have sufficient "shared life experience" to adequately perform the job. They said they have the wrong skin color, full stop (which is a very poor proxy for shared life experience given the completely different countries).
    According to your link, the quoted objector said
    "And her work and life have been colored by her experience and identity as a black woman. Is it -- to say the least -- not a missed opportunity to hire Marieke Lucas Rijneveld for this job?" she added, pointing out that the Dutch writer has "no experience in this area."
    which suggests to me the objection is that the proposed translator is perceived to not have a sufficient shared life experience with a black woman because the translator is white.

Do I think skin color should disqualify someone from being a translator? No.
    Do I think an effective translator needs to know more than the language? Yes.
    Do I think an effective translator needs to be able to understand the text in question in the context of the times in which it was written and the social and historical context? Yes.

9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Sort of like the US until the 1970s.
    So you admit that the wokesters are the 21st century equivalent of the segregationists?
    Well, when they pass laws and have the police enforce them with violence, then yes. Until then, no.

I admit this particular objection is either stupid or poorly articulated. But there are plenty of stupid or poorly articulated objections made in this world all of the time.

10. Top | #30
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    There are many such 'incidents'. White voice actors are no longer welcome to play non-white characters in animation (it doesn't go the other way). Harry Shearer stepped down from voicing Dr Hibbert even though he'd been playing Dr Hibbert for thirty years (nobody could possibly be more qualified than Shearer to play Hibbert).

The same movement has also stymied and censored white writers. On the one hand, told not to write characters whose race differs to their own ("stay in your lane"), and on the other told that there is no diversity in their writing.
    You do know this has been going on for ages right? I recall a few decades ago when only white people were allowed to be on television and black people were played by white people. Hell, even the image of Jesus was changed from woolly to silky hair (hasn't changed back). Where have you been all this time? We could have used your efforts to effect change since Christ walked on water.