Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on cheap phone just used for voice and texting.

1. Top | #11
    Contributor
    I have absolutely no use for a smart phone. I wach peole on the street heads down engosed in the device and internet.

For me text is important. I get texts from my doctors with appointment reminders, and notifications from my pharmacy.

I prefer text over voice mil. Text provides a runnng record of exchanges.

If I am on the street I can text metro with a transit stop number and get the time of the next bus. Those kinds of things are useful.

I am trying decide what to do for internet in my apartment. We have Wave but it ends up being expensive. I may get a smart phone with a wireless hot spot.

2. Top | #12
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Yeah, modern "phones" aren't really phones at all, they're pocket computers.

My phone I use for a huge number of different purposes, but only very rarely as a device for talking to people.

I would certainly agree that that purpose is better served by an inexpensive single purpose device.
    Separate devices mean more things to carry. I'd prefer one general-purpose device.
    I only carry one device, the one I have a use for. Apparently Treedbear has found that he doesn't need the functions of a computer and internet service when away from home either but needs a phone.
    You've found me out. I didn't hardly need a mobile phone when I was working. And then only because I'd have felt silly if I had car problems and left it at home. During the day I'd use the company's phones. So I'd unplug it in the morning and plug it back in when I got home. Since I left work due to covid I use it more and put up with all the spam. Particularly annoying is the weekly shake-down from "The National Police Association" for a donation. Once in a great while it would be nice having internet to compare prices when out shopping. Needing to find a tow truck or get directions for me is seldom to never. And I much prefer the freedom from being tied into a network constantly. But I understand and have sympathy for all the folks who have lots of family and work relationships. It seems to be a necessity these days and a convenience in many ways. But like all technology it can also become a distraction. I hate distractions but love technology. So that freedom might just be my illusion. Frankly the main reason I don't have a smart phone is that it would cost me an extra $200 per year. On balance it ain't worth it.

3. Top | #13
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Yeah, modern "phones" aren't really phones at all, they're pocket computers.

My phone I use for a huge number of different purposes, but only very rarely as a device for talking to people.

I would certainly agree that that purpose is better served by an inexpensive single purpose device.
    Separate devices mean more things to carry. I'd prefer one general-purpose device.
    I only carry one device, the one I have a use for. Apparently Treedbear has found that he doesn't need the functions of a computer and internet service when away from home either but needs a phone.
    Actually, I find the biggest use I make of it is the Kindle app--reading books while I'm waiting for something.

4. Top | #14

Actually, I find the biggest use I make of it is the Kindle app--reading books while I'm waiting for something.
    Don't you find that to be a strain on your eyes? A tablet yes, but a smart phone screen?

5. Top | #15
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treedbear View Post

Don't you find that to be a strain on your eyes? A tablet yes, but a smart phone screen?
    I wear progressive lens glasses, I have the font size set large enough, it's not a problem at all.