Argument from possible simulation

I believe in a kind of God...

More persuasive argument:
    1. It's possible we're in a simulation
    2. The simulation needs a creator
    3. The creator could be called 'God'
    Therefore there could be a God.

My personal reasoning:
    1. It is likely we're in a simulation (according to Elon Musk's reasoning)
    Therefore it is likely there is a God.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Do we really need another thread on this? How likely do you think it is that anybody in this thread will say anything not already said in another of your many threads on this same topic?

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Do we really need another thread on this? How likely do you think it is that anybody in this thread will say anything not already said in another of your many threads on this same topic?
    This thread has nothing to do with my "God doesn't want to be obvious" focus in other threads. In other threads I'm saying that "God" intervenes (in a non-obvious way to skeptics) but here I'm just talking about a creator (who might not intervene at all after the creation of the simulation)

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    This thread has nothing to do with my "God doesn't want to be obvious" focus in other threads. In other threads I'm saying that "God" intervenes (in a non-obvious way to skeptics) but here I'm just talking about a creator (who might not intervene at all after the creation of the simulation)
    Nothing? Is it completely different? In spite of the question being slightly differently formulated, you introduce the same hypothesis, to solve the same problem, and want to discuss this for the same reasons. It's one thing if there's an evolution of arguments, where you are refining the argument and wanting to discuss different aspects. But I'm not seeing it. It looks to me like you have a hobby horse that you want to repeat as often as possible. I don't see a development of your ideas. You're just repeating the same thing endlessly.

What are you saying in this thread that is different enough from what you've said in other threads that will make this discussion different?

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist
    This thread has nothing to do with my "God doesn't want to be obvious" focus in other threads
    Nothing?
    Yes it isn't about detecting "God" - not being obvious is my explanation for why "God" would be undetectable to skeptics. And that idea was significantly based on a Futurama quote.
    Is it completely different?
    Well it still involves simulations and "god"...
    In spite of the question being slightly differently formulated,
    Yes this is about formal arguments...
    you introduce the same hypothesis, to solve the same problem, and want to discuss this for the same reasons.
    No in previous threads I said that according to skeptics there is absolutely no reason to believe in an intelligent force. Here my arguments are saying that God could be possible or likely..... even to skeptics....
    It's one thing if there's an evolution of arguments, where you are refining the argument and wanting to discuss different aspects. But I'm not seeing it. It looks to me like you have a hobby horse that you want to repeat as often as possible. I don't see a development of your ideas. You're just repeating the same thing endlessly.

What are you saying in this thread that is different enough from what you've said in other threads that will make this discussion different?
    This is what I have been repeating as often as possible:
    https://www.lifesplayer.com/bible.php
    "I think ALL evidence of God and the paranormal can be explained by skeptics as coincidence, delusion, or hallucinations. Or involve fraud such as magic tricks"
    And that God doesn't want to be obvious...
    I think the only thing this thread has in common is the idea that a simulation is possible or likely.... in other threads I'm saying that "God" could intervene while here I'm talking about a creator....

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This is what I have been repeating as often as possible:
    https://www.lifesplayer.com/bible.php
    "I think ALL evidence of God and the paranormal can be explained by skeptics as coincidence, delusion, or hallucinations. Or involve fraud such as magic tricks"
    And that God doesn't want to be obvious...
    I think the only thing this thread has in common is the idea that a simulation is possible or likely.... in other threads I'm saying that "God" could intervene while here I'm talking about a creator....
    I'm aware of that you are repeating this. What I don't understand is why you are repeating it? Don't you think we heard you the first time?

In your link, this is funny though.

the Bible says to not put God to the test.
    If the Bible tells you not to put God to the test, how could that be any clearer declaration that the book is bullshit? It's like a used car salesman telling you not to take the car for a drive, and you take his word for it. Somebody telling the truth and trying to convince other people of it will, of course, encourage you to go and verify it for yourself and providing you with resources to do so. That's why people in this forum keep insisting on sources to back up iffy statements.

Version 2.0 of that web site would benefit from leaving out the part about the Bible says that we shouldn't put God to the test. It doesn't benefit the rest of what they're trying to argue.

7. Top | #7
    Suspended
    hmm a deist OK, but now this is a Bible issue, wtf?
    discuss the finer points of Jewish mythology??

8. Top | #8
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

My personal reasoning:
    You are correct -- it is likely that there is a God.

Yes it isn't about detecting "God" - not being obvious is my explanation for why "God" would be undetectable to skeptics.
    There's a better explanation for why she's undetectable, though: a woman stole her.

Another possibility is simply that God is dead. Not unlikely, since she must be fifteen at this point.

(Or in other words, how did you get from Step 3 to your conclusion? )

9. Top | #9
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So, I have more than a little experience with the metaphysics and logic of "simulation".

Plainly put, there is no real difference between that which exists "as a simulation" or something that exists "on its own".

Really, "simulation" only has meaning when presented with a context, a set of things "around" the subject.

The universe is what it is, regardless of what context drives those relationships. It is simultaneously a simulation, and not-a-simulation, BECAUSE IT IS THE PRODUCT OF ALL EVENTUALITIES THAT PRODUCE IT!

10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

My personal reasoning:
    So step 1 is a conclusion. Nice!

Step 2? The creator of the simulation, what about their God? If they have a god, that god would be our god too! Unless we are going for the Futurama Bender is God episode, and we have localized gods. Of course, their religion could be their dimension's equivalent of Scientology! But their dimension could still have a creator (and our simulation designer is just an idiot about religion)... but if that is also a simulation, we have a third level for the creator/creator's god.