Thread: Marvelous Marvin Hagler dead at 66

1. Top | #11
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinbuckaroo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaric View Post
    Without doubt, Hagler was one of the very best. Middleweight boxing has never hit those heights since.
    Roy Jones Jr anyone?

Nice photo though.
    Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran. Possibly the most dominant group in any weight class ever.
    Apparently I read the word "boxer" instead of "boxing".

2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Another very good boxer has died that mixed it with the legends;

Former British and European champion Kirkland Laing has died aged 66. Laing, who retired from boxing in 1994 with a record of 43 victories, 12 defeats and one draw, will be best remembered for producing one the finest performances by a British fighter on American soil when he upset the great Roberto Duran back in 1982. That was the greatest victory of Laing's career but his life outside of the ring spiralled into drink and drugs after that famous night in Detroit.
    DailyMail

Britain produced some really good boxers in that era, Chris Eubanks, Michael Watson, Nigel Benn, Tony Sibson to name a few.

3. Top | #13
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Another very good boxer has died that mixed it with the legends;

Former British and European champion Kirkland Laing has died aged 66. Laing, who retired from boxing in 1994 with a record of 43 victories, 12 defeats and one draw, will be best remembered for producing one the finest performances by a British fighter on American soil when he upset the great Roberto Duran back in 1982. That was the greatest victory of Laing's career but his life outside of the ring spiralled into drink and drugs after that famous night in Detroit.
    DailyMail

Britain produced some really good boxers in that era, Chris Eubanks, Michael Watson, Nigel Benn, Tony Sibson to name a few.
    I never saw that fight. And I never saw Laing box. Too bad. Duran was a great boxer. Those were the golden years of boxing!

4. Top | #14
    Contributor
    I saw a few of Laing’s fights and he was really good but he never quite reached his full potential but definitely a talented boxer and athlete.