Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72

Thread: I think fake news is good

  1. Top | #11
    Contributor blastula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The greatesst state
    Posts
    6,883
    Archived
    6,070
    Total Posts
    12,953
    Rep Power
    66

  2. Top | #12
    Contributor DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,258
    Archived
    5,746
    Total Posts
    15,004
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
    No, I don't understand how you think I argued that. It seemed like you were the one who was arguing for this new "religion" where big tech tells everyone what's true.
    Back when the church decided what was true nobody needed to argue about it. Just as the main public intellectuals 100 - 30 years ago decided what the bias of all the major newspapers should be.

    Now there's no official line to hold. Its completely fractured.
    100 - 30 years ago (at least in the U.S.) newspapers were not all giving the same slant on the news. There were competing newspapers. I found it useful to read both a left leaning and a right leaning newspaper to try to figure out what really happened in any situation.
    You just described a perfect example of what a false dichotomy is. Human psychology makes us think in opposites. So whatever one political side is, the other is the opposite. And our focus is drawn to that opposition. We just do this automatically. But it just means that all other dimensions are hidden. It creates a radically skewed picture of reality. But we like it, because it's simple to understand and makes the world manageable.

    Back in the olden days when printing and news production was very expensive there were very few newspapers. It was easy for journalists to give the impression that they were on top of things. When conservatives complained about a conspiracy of the liberal media. It was actually true. Not because the liberal media were nefariously conspiring. But because they were close friends, went to each others parties and slept with each other. It created an insular and very one sided picture of the liberal cause. Especially troubling because good writers are predominantly recruited from the middle-class, and not working class. So they often ignored the most important issues of the group they're supposed to be championing. Which is why conservative support is common among the working class.

    Another good example was news coverage during colonial times. From all sides of the news coverage the Brits were served a complete fantasy about the natives. Everybody was projecting their pet ideas onto the ruled people, using them as tools to fight local political battles. Which led to absurd and unworkable policies in the colonies.

    This is just an example of how the media back in the day weren't at all good at covering all the bases. Reading both the liberal and conservative version of the story wouldn't at all give you a complete picture. It will give you a better picture. But far from the complete picture.

    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    The problem with the identification of "fake news" is that people have become so partisan in their thinking that they see anything that favors the opposing partisan side as not true or 'fake news' so give it no consideration. It is kinda a propogandists dream. The left has come to assume that anything from the right is a lie and the right has come to assume that anything from the left is a lie... and alternately, anything they hear from their side is true.
    Sure. You'll have no argument from me. I still think it's an improvement over what we had before. Which was being served comforting lies. At least this is glaring and obvious lies. I prefer the Wizard of Oz being visible, rather than hidden behind the curtain.

  3. Top | #13
    Contributor DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,258
    Archived
    5,746
    Total Posts
    15,004
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    Is false, fake, news (reports) even news?
    Nope. It's dressed up to look like news, without being news. It's a paradoxical name.

    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    Think of it this way:

    There are signals, singular, like a specific audio frequency and there is noise, multiple random frequencies, noise. Both exist all the time in an acoustic field.

    A sensor is placed in the field, its purpose to process signals. If one provides a sequence of pulses of information (single frequencies) at a very low level of it is place through a system that also generates a certain level of noise. The observer is asked to report only signals.

    Observers can successfully perform this task if the signals are a bit more apparent in the noise existing in the acoustic field and in the receiving detector.

    However if one introduces a bit of noise during the non signal intervals the observer often report the signal is continuous. In effect fake news is reported all the time if there is bits of random stuff mixed in with the actual signals. The only way to reduce this effect is to better control random information in the information chain.

    Now you have a the basis for a protocol for controlling fake news noise in an information stream.

    Treat fake news as noise and control it using standard noise reduction processes.

    How about some solutions along the lines of this analogy.

    One can: restrict noise in channel, increase the signal to noise ratio of actual information in the channel, buildup better detectors by improving the quality of their detectors.

    Now its up to you to apply these thoughts.

    Actually if one wants to go along with Dr. Zoidberg one would improve the qualities, increase signal to noise ratios, in the detector.
    Before we had a couple of institutions cleaning up the noise. Skewing the information spread. What I'm hoping for is a multitude of tools cleaning up the noise, giving us a much more accurate and better understanding of the world. A better mirror of what is actually going on. It's still going to be rather messy, chaotic and noisy, because that's how the world actually looks like.

  4. Top | #14
    Mazzie Daius fromderinside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Local group: Solar system: Earth: NA: US: contiguous states westernmost - IOW here
    Posts
    14,412
    Archived
    18,213
    Total Posts
    32,625
    Rep Power
    64
    One needs to improve education if one wants to improve fake noise discrimination reduction. Serious treatment of sources, interpreting communication, methods of reasoning, need be introduced, tested, and certified for students.

  5. Top | #15
    Contributor DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,258
    Archived
    5,746
    Total Posts
    15,004
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    One needs to improve education if one wants to improve fake noise discrimination reduction. Serious treatment of sources, interpreting communication, methods of reasoning, need be introduced, tested, and certified for students.
    Humanity has never before in our entire history been as educated as it is now. I find it unlikely we'll ever be more educated than this. If we can't deal with it now, it'll never happen. If we can't make it work with this extreme degree of a well educated populace then perhaps we should go back to Christianity and letting the priests be in control.

  6. Top | #16
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    1,260
    Rep Power
    15
    Bewilderingly wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post

    100 - 30 years ago (at least in the U.S.) newspapers were not all giving the same slant on the news. There were competing newspapers. I found it useful to read both a left leaning and a right leaning newspaper to try to figure out what really happened in any situation.
    You just described a perfect example of what a false dichotomy is. Human psychology makes us think in opposites. So whatever one political side is, the other is the opposite. And our focus is drawn to that opposition. We just do this automatically. But it just means that all other dimensions are hidden. It creates a radically skewed picture of reality. But we like it, because it's simple to understand and makes the world manageable.

    Back in the olden days when printing and news production was very expensive there were very few newspapers....

    ... Another good example was news coverage during colonial times.
    I'm often baffled by Dr. Z's opinions, but this thread is the bafflingest of all! My parents weren't into newspaper reading much, so we only subscribed to two papers. We could afford that because they were so cheap — I guess 60 years ago wasn't "the olden days."

    For that matter, lots of people read at least 2 daily newspapers 120 years ago. Which "olden days" do you refer to, Dr. Z? The eras before Gutenberg invented the printing press? :-) Just joking; I see that you only needed to go back to "colonial times."

    My own ancestor was a newspaper publisher who self-described with "Give the people controversy. Have the courage to take sides on a question. Many people may then hate you but they always read what you have to say."

    Do Fox Potatoes listen to what Rachel Maddow has to say?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Back in the olden days when printing and news production was very expensive there were very few newspapers.... Reading both the liberal and conservative version of the story wouldn't at all give you a complete picture. It will give you a better picture. But far from the complete picture.

    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    The problem with the identification of "fake news" is that people have become so partisan in their thinking that they see anything that favors the opposing partisan side as not true or 'fake news' so give it no consideration. It is kinda a propogandists dream. The left has come to assume that anything from the right is a lie and the right has come to assume that anything from the left is a lie... and alternately, anything they hear from their side is true.
    Sure. You'll have no argument from me. I still think it's an improvement over what we had before. Which was being served comforting lies. At least this is glaring and obvious lies. I prefer the Wizard of Oz being visible, rather than hidden behind the curtain.
    It might behoove Dr. Z to give examples of "fake news", just to see if we're talking about the same thing.

    In the U.S., fake news includes the notion that Hillary Clinton runs a child sex ring out of the basement of a popular Washington pizzeria. Several Americans didn't "get the joke," since one showed up firing an assault rifle in the pizzeria! BTW, I see where Tucker Carlson's lawyer is now using the same defense Alex Jones used! — Carlson can't be guilty of lying or slander because his shows are obviously just comedy!

    Et cetera et cetera. Anyway, Dr. Z's conclusion is 100% wrong. In the past there was general agreement on the FACTS; people tended to also listen to 2 or more OPINIONS and then make up their own minds. Today, a huge number of LIES are spouted by FoxNews — so much so that the Fox Potatoes smart enough to know they're being lied to draw the wrong conclusion: that "the mainstream media" is lying just as bad as Fox. With facts defunct for many Americans, all that's left are opinions. All too often, opinions are themselves "fake" — they come from carnival barkers and pimps taking advantage of echo chambers.

    The idea that today's news "is an improvement over what we had before" is completely off-base, bewilderingly wrong.

  7. Top | #17
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    6,368
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    19,344
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post

    The problem with the identification of "fake news" is that people have become so partisan in their thinking that they see anything that favors the opposing partisan side as not true or 'fake news' so give it no consideration. It is kinda a propogandists dream. The left has come to assume that anything from the right is a lie and the right has come to assume that anything from the left is a lie... and alternately, anything they hear from their side is true.
    Sure. You'll have no argument from me. I still think it's an improvement over what we had before. Which was being served comforting lies. At least this is glaring and obvious lies. I prefer the Wizard of Oz being visible, rather than hidden behind the curtain.
    News today is not news, it is political propaganda from both sides. What each political faction labels as 'fake news' is the propaganda of the other faction (but they accept as 'god's truth the propaganda from their faction). News in the mid 20th century actually contained some actual news but with the editorial slant of the paper's owners. People in the U.S. were actually informed of what was happening in the world outside the U.S.

    What Trump and/or his supporters think of Biden is not news and what Biden and/or his supporters think of Trump is not news however it makes headlines and consumes hours of talking heads "debates". World news has all but vanished in coverage.

  8. Top | #18
    Contributor DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,258
    Archived
    5,746
    Total Posts
    15,004
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post

    The problem with the identification of "fake news" is that people have become so partisan in their thinking that they see anything that favors the opposing partisan side as not true or 'fake news' so give it no consideration. It is kinda a propogandists dream. The left has come to assume that anything from the right is a lie and the right has come to assume that anything from the left is a lie... and alternately, anything they hear from their side is true.
    Sure. You'll have no argument from me. I still think it's an improvement over what we had before. Which was being served comforting lies. At least this is glaring and obvious lies. I prefer the Wizard of Oz being visible, rather than hidden behind the curtain.
    News today is not news, it is political propaganda from both sides. What each political faction labels as 'fake news' is the propaganda of the other faction (but they accept as 'god's truth the propaganda from their faction). News in the mid 20th century actually contained some actual news but with the editorial slant of the paper's owners. People in the U.S. were actually informed of what was happening in the world outside the U.S.

    What Trump and/or his supporters think of Biden is not news and what Biden and/or his supporters think of Trump is not news however it makes headlines and consumes hours of talking heads "debates". World news has all but vanished in coverage.
    I think you are a bit harsh. I think there's a difference between completely made up stories and stories that are heavily biased. Calling the later "fake news" is just part of the propaganda machine. It isn't actually fake news. I don't think anybody remotely sensible truly thinks that.

    QAnon type beliefs are still a marginal activity

  9. Top | #19
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    6,368
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    19,344
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    News today is not news, it is political propaganda from both sides. What each political faction labels as 'fake news' is the propaganda of the other faction (but they accept as 'god's truth the propaganda from their faction). News in the mid 20th century actually contained some actual news but with the editorial slant of the paper's owners. People in the U.S. were actually informed of what was happening in the world outside the U.S.

    What Trump and/or his supporters think of Biden is not news and what Biden and/or his supporters think of Trump is not news however it makes headlines and consumes hours of talking heads "debates". World news has all but vanished in coverage.
    I think you are a bit harsh. I think there's a difference between completely made up stories and stories that are heavily biased. Calling the later "fake news" is just part of the propaganda machine. It isn't actually fake news. I don't think anybody remotely sensible truly thinks that.

    QAnon type beliefs are still a marginal activity
    Are you saying that the political faction you personally prefer only slants its "news" while the political faction you oppose only makes up its "news" from whole cloth?

    Have you considered that maybe you have been swayed by the propagandists of one side more than the propagandists of the other?

  10. Top | #20
    Contributor DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,258
    Archived
    5,746
    Total Posts
    15,004
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    News today is not news, it is political propaganda from both sides. What each political faction labels as 'fake news' is the propaganda of the other faction (but they accept as 'god's truth the propaganda from their faction). News in the mid 20th century actually contained some actual news but with the editorial slant of the paper's owners. People in the U.S. were actually informed of what was happening in the world outside the U.S.

    What Trump and/or his supporters think of Biden is not news and what Biden and/or his supporters think of Trump is not news however it makes headlines and consumes hours of talking heads "debates". World news has all but vanished in coverage.
    I think you are a bit harsh. I think there's a difference between completely made up stories and stories that are heavily biased. Calling the later "fake news" is just part of the propaganda machine. It isn't actually fake news. I don't think anybody remotely sensible truly thinks that.

    QAnon type beliefs are still a marginal activity
    Are you saying that the political faction you personally prefer only slants its "news" while the political faction you oppose only makes up its "news" from whole cloth?

    Have you considered that maybe you have been swayed by the propagandists of one side more than the propagandists of the other?
    I think everybody is about as guilty of this. I go out of my way to read news from other sources than Liberal sources. Just to challenge my own biases.

    But Pizzagate was created by trolls on 4Chan. They made no secret about it. It was an exercise in proving how gullible people are. That clearly qualifies as fake news

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •