Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: I think fake news is good

1. Top | #71
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by fromderinside View Post
    The following is a reply to your comment on professional news persons.

steve_bank what was the first thing to which you referred when given and engineering problem. I'll bet it was both corporate and university engineering handbooks. I never saw an engineer first turn to current science when science was evolving or in flux.
    From my experience nobody is abjective completely, even in a hard applied scince like engineering. Eben when apply theories there is always a subjective context that can affect which way things go and how they are presentd.

It was something I leaned on the job through hard knocks. When presenting an idea always consider the context of how you are being perceived and use it to shape how you present. How you present facts affects how people respond.

The practiced sincerity and gravitas of on air reporting.

Reporters say they seek truth, but facts as presented represent personal slants, it is inescapable.

IOW, politics and human dynamics. I am sure you understand that..

Media presents itself as purveyors of the truth. The media is what it is, regular humans. They say they have a duty to make govt transparent, who makes media transparent?

In Portland in the 80s I knew a prouder of a local evening news. I watched a show. In the day stories were continually coming via Telex and other services, no net. I asked an editor who was deciding what stories to put on air. He called it a serious duty but did not say on what basis he chose.

2. Top | #72
    Contributor
    I watched something last night on Orson Wells' radio production of War Of The Worlds.

People loaded up the car and headed for the hills.

Someone who remembered it said it sounded like a news report and people beloved what they heard on radio news.